Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 06:42 PM
    97 grand am losing power
    I have a 97 grand am that looses power while driving. Sometimes its like its not getting fuel.if I let off the gas a bit it goes okay. I had the car checked out at the dealership and they said engine vacuum was low. They want to pull motor apart. I don't really want to do that unless its really really nessasary. They said there might be a blown gasket. I'm not lossing antifreeze and my oil is crystall clean. Car has 147,000 km. any suggestions?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 10:08 AM

Have they done a computer scan to determine if there are any codes stored in the computer? If not, try that first.

If there are no codes, have them do a smoke-leak detection test. It's a much easier way to find a leak; there's no reason to pull apart the motor if they don't know for certain what the problem is.
    krzekali89 Posts: 66, Reputation: 8

Dec 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Transmission. My car did the same thing then the trannie busted out on me. Check you trannie fluid. Is it black? Does it smell burnt? If either of those are yes... get the trannie checked out. The dealerships overcharge and want your money. Tell them to check the trannie.

Good luck.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 01:45 PM

Low vacuum is often caused by a partially clogged converter. They can test the exhaust back-pressure where the O2 sensor mounts.

And, find a different garage, as well. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling when the first diag would require them to "pull motor apart." What are they looking for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing power (diesel) [ 2 Answers ]

I drive a chevy silverado duramax Ill be driving normal speed in the city or the freeway when for some reason I loose power Where my rpm cannot go over 2 ,I'm usually stuck on the freeway at 60 to 65. Now if I stop and turn the truck off then ill be good for a while (5 m to an hour sometimes)....

Panel losing power [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if the breaker panel has weak spots is it going bad. If I move a breaker down one space it dims everything if I move the same breaker back up one spa\ce the power is fine. The lower I go down the panel it semms I loose power more.? Should I replace the panel Alreadt tried to...

Losing power [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima which keeps lossing power. It doesn't shut off, but when driving it will loose power and you can get no REV from it. When I turn it off for awhile it is fine. Also the service engine soon light is always on.

Weedeater (featherlite xt260) losing power [ 1 Answers ]

I have a featherlite xt260 weedeater that looses power after running a short period. Starting is not a problem and RPM's seem good at initial start up. The problem is that it begins to loose RPM's shortly after I begin trimming grass and will eventually die. I've cleaned the air filter. I have...

View more questions Search