Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    litlecar56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 09:29 PM
    How do I stop my cat from urinating on my furniture?
    I scrolled through the asked questions or topics, couldn't find anything close to my question.:confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Does he do this on certain furniture, fabric, in a certain place? Have you changed the litter brand lately or added something to the litter to make it smell better? Have you changed the cat's food? Does he urinate frequently? Does he drink a lot of water? If so, he probably needs to visit the vet to check out a UTI (urinary tract infection) or diabetes.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:42 PM
    The appropriate topic area to post this in would be Home & Garden >> Pets & Animals and then Cats. You can see Home & Garden and then Pets & Animals on the home page of this site. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/ I have requested that it be moved to that area.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:59 PM
    How old is your cat? Is your cat spayed/neutered could it be marking? Are you keeping the litter box as clean as the cat would like it.scoop daily,wash weekly with detergent not amonia based and follow up with a vinegar rinse 1 cup of vinegar per gallon of water and let dry.. try providing 2 different litter boxes or even one that scoops automatically if that is affordable. If being particular over his box is the problem.
    furkids Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 01:29 AM
    A suggestion would be to take a trip to your local pet store.. they have certain sprays, one that I have in mind is called "piss off". What you do is spray it on your furniature, on the floor wherever the cat seems to like to urinate the most and it supposedly stops them from doing this. I haven't personally needed to use it but I have heard that it does work. Your local vet or local pet shop should have some other suggestions for you if you are still having problems. Even the RSPCA (RSPCA Australia) has some similar products that may help prevent this problem from reoccuring. Hope I helped!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 11:31 AM
    You're going to have to solve the problem rather than spray something where he has urinated. He will only find a "better" place the next time.

Check all the things bushg mentioned. With my cats, the litter box has been key--either that it isn't as clean as they like or that we changed the litter and they don't like the new stuff.
    Devistated Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Get new furniture or get rid of the cat.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:39 AM
    I had the same problem with my cat a while ago, and honestly, there's really not much you can do. The sprays that you can buy at the pet store work for a while, but she just found different places to "go." With my cat, the solution was simple, she wanted to go outside and was mad at me for making her an inside cat! A friend of mine who lives out in the country took her and she is a happy, well-adjusted outdoor cat now. This could be your cat's problem. Sorry to not be the bearer of happier news! Hope you can find your cat's solution.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jan 12, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Just a few suggestions - one is make sure that you change the litter box frequently to make sure it is always clean. This includes washing the box with soap and water and then putting fresh litter every day. Make sure that your cat receives his regular vet visits and shots. If your cat is not fixed, consider having this done. Also, if your cat is on regular cat food and he is a male, he could be getting "salt crystals" in his bladder - a build-up of salt that causes a painful obstruction so he can't urinate. The urination on your stuff may be his way of letting you know he is not feeling well.

Also, make sure that your cat has enough to do at home, that could mean he needs to go outside for a time to smell the roses, and sit in the sun. If you keep him inside the house all the time, he could be bored and urinating on your stuff to get your attention he is not happy. Take care.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Jan 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Figure out which you like better, the cat or the furniture, and get rid of the other... sounds logical to me... lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urinating Dog . [ 8 Answers ]

Hi have a maltese dog he is 3, who lives outside and is neutered.. Lately he has started to pee on my blankets I hang out (marking I think ) BUT why my blankets?? I know I can hang them higher but I just find it so disgusting that he is doing this and I'm so frustrated.. Over the last few weeks...

Urinating blood [ 4 Answers ]

My 21-year old son just informed me that last weekend he urinated straight blood. It only happened once, but it has frightened me. What could it mean?

Urinating during sex [ 7 Answers ]

I know this sounds extremely wrong, but is it possible and or common to pee during sex?

Urinating Kitty [ 1 Answers ]

My mothers neutered female cat is obese and urinates in the strangest of places. Kitty is anadorable cat who is on a normal diet. She is 4 years old. Recently she has begun urinating on top of the cooker and in the other cats food bowl and on plants. She also permantly has her tail erect and at...

Dog Urinating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 3-1/2 years old. He is a inside dog and has been house broken. All of a sudden he has been peeing in the house. He is let out 5 to 6 times a day and some times more. I don't understand why he is doing this. Nothing has changed here. Only him. I need help!!

View more questions Search