Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sancho_mic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Honda civic 92 - engine dies when idle
    Hi,

I have a Honda civic, 92 model, with manual transmission. It's on carburetor, imported in Cyprus from Japan.

The car is great but lately it started to behave really strange, when it comes to cold start.
    I will describe the symptoms, hope it will help you more than it helped my mechanic, even after 4 visits and an early full service that I was hoping to fix the problem.

From few months back, the engine occasionally stops when idle - this happens 3-7 minutes after cold start (how cold can it be in Cyprus these days, when night temp is more than 20 degrees Celsius?).
    Occasionally means at each cold start it's either doing this, constantly for 10-15 minutes, or not doing it at all.

These are the exact symptoms:

A) cold start ignition - normal situation: rev goes at 2000 rpm for 5-10 secs, then goes to 1500 rmp, and after 2-4 minutes to 900 rpm (normal idle rev)

1) sometimes, instead of being stable at 900 rmp, the rpm fluctuates, I hear and feel the engine is not spinning "round", but it has some fluctuations/bursts

2) when having these bursts - imagine that I'm driving - engine stops if gas pedal is not pressed and gear is on neutral - for example, when I'm braking and I change gears

3) when driving, the bursts are more powerful on low gear and less noticeable on high gear (on highway). They eventually end in a slightly more powerful burst (hic!) and problem disappears till next cold start :)

If I'm waiting at a traffic light, I noticed that if I rev up to 3500-4500 on neutral, 2-3 times, the problem is overcome instantly but till the next cold start :)

4) Since it started to have these symptoms, sometimes the revs are sitting at 900 rpm constantly, sometimes it's below 900 rpm and I feel the engine/car vibrating

B) engine is hot (i.e I stop for 5 minutes at a shop): when igniting, if I'm not pressing gas several times to maintain the rev, the engine will stop. I tried several consecutive times to start without giving gas, and they all fail, the engine dies, no matter how much I would try

The mechanic only resumed to adjust the revs on several occasions, even after a full service (filters change, oil change, etc... ); the car has good power, good millage - except this issue that drives me crazy...

Please help,
    Thanks a lot,
    Sancho
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 07:09 AM

Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Jun 12, 2009, 12:45 AM

Thanks a lot TXGreaseMonkey - next week I'm giving the car to the mechanic, dropping it in the morning and taking it in the evening, till he will solve the problem...

When you say coil, you refer to the ignition coil? If yes, then it was replaced by the same mechanic ~6 months ago. The car died during acceleration, and could not make it to ignite again.

Now that you mentioned, probably that was the time when rev at idle started to fluctuate - before that it was always rock stable at 900 rpm... But it never stalled at idle, only recently in the last 2 months...

Any idea how much it should cost to replace the ICM? (is 70-100$ a normal price or not?)
    On old cars, during cold start the driver would have to pull a button to ease the ignition (don't know the name). For this honda civic, this is automatic - I presume it's the ICM that handles this?

Thank you again,
    Sancho
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:15 AM

Here's how much it costs:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

Jun 18, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Hi,

Hope it helps others with same/ similar problems like mine.

It was the starter solenoid at carburetor. It was not replaced, but cleaned.
    The carburetor was also adjusted, and now at idle it does not make grinding sound.

Car has more power and the revs are rock solid, without hiccups...

TxGreasMonkey, thanks a lot for your inputs!
    Sancho

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Civic won't idle right [ 1 Answers ]

I have read many items about civic problems but have found many answers that have confused me more. Here is my question. Just purchased a used 92 civic LX that when you start it the engine idles at 3000 rpms, after you move the car it will come down but then it surges from what sounds like a normal...

95 Honda Civic surging idle [ 1 Answers ]

My 95 Honda Civic surging while idling. It all began when during a rain storm when I drove through a long puddle of water on the road. At the end of the puddle my car switched of, but after a couple of cranks it finally came to life again and drove normally. The next day, when I was driving home...

2001 Honda Civic Slow to Idle down;Check engine light [ 7 Answers ]

My 2001 Civic HX presented a check engine light with OBD 2 Codes P1166 and P1167. Runs normal with the exception of not idling down after acceleration or reving the engine. RPM's come down to 1200-1500 (normal running temp) for up to a second before returning to normanl RPM, approximately 750. ...

Honda civic idle trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this forum but id like to ask some question My civic is a 2000 model vtec 1.6 (manual tansmission) and has some idling problem It stalls if the engine is cold when I drive it. The only time it stall when I shift it into neutral, but when its hot its OK. I never had this kind of...

'95 Honda del Sol engine dies at high speeds [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. My girlfriend's '95 del Sol dies at highway speeds. The engine just stops, rpm drops to zero. The car starts up fine afterwards, but after a few minutes of driving, it dies again. We had to get it towed home (140 dollars!! AHH! ). Now she's too scared to drive it anywhere too...

View more questions Search