Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MikeSebastopol Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 07:09 PM
    95 HOnda Civic won't start - suspect ICM
    My 95 Honda Civic won't start. Cranks good. Injects fuel (removed injecters and cranked engine - nice spray!). Appears to get spark (spark plug wire with old spark plug to ground for all 4 cylinders - somewhat weak). Tested compression and all around 150 psi. Tested distributer according to Haynes manual. Coil ohms OK, with proper voltage on connections.

Not sure about ICM. Manual says to remove wires from ICM, then test for voltage with ignition switch on. Doesn't make sense - need wires connected to have 12 V at ICM.

Original problem was no spark on one cylinder with engine running. While swapping spark plug wires one at a time to see if it was the wire or the spark plug, engine quit, and wouldn't start again. Made sure wires are connected correctly cylinders (1342 firing order). Decided to replace cap, rotar, and spark plugs. Checked and re-checked timing is correct.

Any ideas? Anyone know how to test the ICM? They are expensive!
    MikeSebastopol Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 10:26 AM
    I've fixed the problem. It was the coil.

Sometimes, even when the coil checks out using an ohm meter, they can still be faulty under high voltage. Basically the high voltage in the secondary can arc and short out. You can even get a small spark on th plugs, but it may be intermitant, not enough to start the engine. Coils need to be tested under high voltage. I even swapped the coil with one from a used distributer from a junk yard. Goes to show you that you can't trust parts from the junk yard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic del sol won't start [ 37 Answers ]

My 93 Honda civic del sol had been sitting in my driveway for a couple of months. After I charged the battery, I started my Honda and let it run. It ran For 20 minutes with no problem. It then stalled, when I attempted to start it again, it wouldn't start. The engin turns over but it just won't...

98 Honda Civic EX won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Car sat for 7 months while I was in Iraq, was started (not driven) maybe twice in that 7 months (the individuals have been spoken to that where supposed to maintain it for me). Replaced battery when I returned and toped off fluids. Car ran but acted strange the first 2-3 times I drove it. Gauges...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 4 Answers ]

My vehicle still is not starting. I have checked to see if it is the timing belt... NO. I have checked to see if it was getting gas to the engine... YES. I have checked to see if my spark plugs are firing... NO. so I guess this would mean that it is the Distributor. But I just had a tune up done a...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so now the ignitor and the coils have been replaced and the car still will not start. My neighbor, who is a Honda mechanic, says that my only other option is to replace the computer... IS THIS TRUE>>?? :(

96 honda civic won't start 1.6L [ 5 Answers ]

I know you've seen this subject before, but here is my senario: I drove the car home late one night during a snow storm and shut it off. Two days later the car won't start. Here are the symptoms: Engine turns over and occasionally pops like its going to start (then floods). I got spark I...

View more questions Search