Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erigm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 03:14 PM
    96 honda civic won't start 1.6L
    I know you've seen this subject before, but here is my senario:

I drove the car home late one night during a snow storm and shut it off. Two days later the car won't start. Here are the symptoms:

Engine turns over and occasionally pops like its going to start (then floods).
    I got spark
    I got fuel
    I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and plugs (not plug wires, the set was over $75)

I'm about to go back outside and check the timing belt to make sure it hasn't jumped. Any ideas in the meantime? Thanks.

Eric
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
    If you get spark and fuel, I'd say check the timing.

Feb 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Ok, I checked the timing belt and everything is "timed". The distributor is not loose, so it couldn't have changed the timing. So now I'm thinking some control module or sensor. Any ideas/suggestions?

Eric

Feb 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Is there a way I can check error codes on this car (96 Honda Civic 1.6L)? Does it have the LED or dash readout?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 4, 2006, 04:44 PM
    No, your car is OBD-II, which means you have to have a tool to hook your computer to and read the codes through it. Every garage should be able to do it for you though.

Also, if you have spark, your spark plug wires are fine. Also, your igniter unit and your ignition coil are also fine. Are you sure you have spark? Are you sure you have gas? Was the car running rough before you turned it off last time?

Feb 4, 2006, 05:16 PM
    I got it! I had read a few threads about changing batteries or jumping. Well, I had got this really neat battery booster for my birthday last year (yeah, my family is full of motorheads), you know... the kind with wheels, and I hooked it up and the car fired right up. So I cleaned the battery terminal connections and the ground to fender connection. Everything seems to be fine, but I'll check it again in the morning. Important lesson: CHECK ALL THE SIMPLE STUFF FIRST! I was about to spend $150 on a new ICM. Actually I was about to go outside, freeze my but off, and check the coil and ICM with a multimeter... but buying a new something was my next step. Thank you all for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

My Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

89 Honda CIVIC: No Start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 89 Honda Civic that has not been started in over a year. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. It started and ran very reough for about 10 seconds. Now it has no spark and I don't hear a click when the ignition swaith is turned on. I checked and there is no blink on the ECU light....

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

View more questions Search