Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spider Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2005, 05:06 PM
    Blower works intermittently for A/C
    I have an old York furnace with central air. When turning on the A/C, sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it toggles off and on with a loud clicking sound. If I use the manual switch on the limit control, everything is fine, but of course, then the blower is on continuously. Taking a look at the system, the problem seems to be what looks like a transformer with relay and lots of various colored wires. From reading previous posts and checking the internet, this stuff seems to go by names like A/C relay, fan control, fan relay and the like. I know I could just start pulling out wires and taking the whole thing off, but is there a specific part that is going bad? Is that loud clicking sound a failing relay?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2005, 06:56 PM
    Usually the continuous fan uses the same relay as the A/C. I would look at some of the connections, with the usually color codes, the yellow and blue wires and what they connect to within the furnace. There should be a timer that keeps the fan running for 90 seconds after the compressor quits.

A voltage detector is great for stuff like this. The tip on them lights up when you touch a live wire. Touch the in and out wires to a relay or other trouble maker, and if the in lights up, but not the out, you have found the problem. I paid less than $15 for a GB instruments Live Wire, GVD-505A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Compressor fan works intermittently [ 10 Answers ]

The compressor fan for my AC (Central Air) unit (that is located out side of the house) works intermittently. The fan comes on for few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I can hear some noise from the compressor unit before the fan turning on. Any help is highly appreciated. Best...

Central Air works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

We have relatively new house. The central air was installed in 2001/2002. This is OUR first time using it. First thing I realized was the circuit breaker for the condenser and fan was bad, so I replaced that. The unit ran fine for a few days. Then we shut it off for a few days. When we...

Blower fan works in A/C but not heat [ 8 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago my Lennox G20Q3E-75-1 was acting up. Gas valve was cycling when calling for heat and then once satisfied and the main burners went out the pilot light was staying lit. I thought it might be the flame sensor as far as the gas valve cycling and didn't want to tear into it so I...

Dryer works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer stopped working mid-cycle during a heavy laundry load (lots of jeans). You could push the START button, but it would only hum but not move. My husband opened it up, found some rubber bands that were keeping the dryer drum from turning. It then worked - for one load. On the...

View more questions Search