Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lurby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Central Air works intermittently
    We have relatively new house. The central air was installed in 2001/2002. This is OUR first time using it. First thing I realized was the circuit breaker for the condenser and fan was bad, so I replaced that. The unit ran fine for a few days. Then we shut it off for a few days. When we started it up again a few days later the condenser started, but the fan on top did not run. Thanks to this forum I realized that it was a bad capacitor. I changed that and we were back in business... so I thought!

Now a week later the system just isn't working right. The condenser and fan are turning on, but they seem to be struggling. The house was not cooling down. The basement floor was soaked from the return pipe 'sweating' all over the place, but the house was like a sauna. I shut the unit off.

The next day I turned it back on again and it seemed to be working okay. The house cooled down. It was a struggle and it took a looonnnngggg time, but it did cool down. It never got to that too cold point though. It just knocked the edge off.

What is going on? What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 17, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Condenser coil could be clogged, air filter also. The sweating your talking about, is that the condensate from the evaporator in the plenum? That's normal.

Jun 17, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I changed the filter but that didn't seem to help. If the condenser was clogged would it work again the next day?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Check the contactor (relay). They are at the heart of properly maintaining an air conditioner and are overlooked by almost everyone. As they open and close, they become pitted. The effective cross-sectional area of the points becomes less and the resistance goes up by a square function. This results in the compressor starving for current, which can eventually burn it up. Annually, clean the condenser coils by removing the covers on 3 sides of the condenser and gently hosing down the coils to remove debris and dirt; check the condition of the contactor; make sure the start and run condensers are good; and use ISO 32 wt. turbine oil (ACE Hardware) to lubricate both ports on the condenser fan motor with 15 drops of oil. Make sure the start condenser is not leaking acid--they can blow like a firecracker. Turn off thermostat, 220v. Power to the condenser, and 110v. Power to the furnace before checking out the condenser.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2006, 08:39 PM
    From what you described about all of the water on the floor and the unit not working one might but working the next sounds to me like the Evaporator coil about the furnace is dirty or the unit is low on freon. Both of these items will cause the evap coil to start to freeze over and the more it freezes the less air that goes through the coil and therefore it will make more frost to shut down more air. Then once the unit is shut down the ice melts and over loads the capacity of the small drain pan, hence the water all over the floor. The Evap coil can be cleaned but it is not easy for an inexperenced person. The freon levels can only be checked by a person certified to work with freon.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 18, 2006, 12:16 AM
    That's a good point: if there is more condensate then normal, it sounds like an iced evaporator. And that would explain why after it sits awhile it works OK, because it defrosts.

Jun 18, 2006, 04:30 AM
    That sounds right to me. After looking at it again I realize that the evaporator coil? (is that what is on top of the furnace?? ) has ice around the hole where the large, insulated, sweating pipe is going into it. There is also cold air leaking from around that hole.

Why would that leak cold air? Is there something going on on the other side of that cover?

Thanks for all of your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Compressor fan works intermittently [ 10 Answers ]

The compressor fan for my AC (Central Air) unit (that is located out side of the house) works intermittently. The fan comes on for few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I can hear some noise from the compressor unit before the fan turning on. Any help is highly appreciated. Best...

Blower works intermittently for A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old York furnace with central air. When turning on the A/C, sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it toggles off and on with a loud clicking sound. If I use the manual switch on the limit control, everything is fine, but of course, then the blower is on...

FAN doesn't work when it's 'Auto', but works fine at 'On' in my central air/furnace [ 1 Answers ]

undefinedFAN 'On' or 'Auto'FAN 'On' or 'Auto' Hi, I have programmable thermostat connecting air condition / furnace system. Now if I turn system to 'Cool' and Fan at 'Auto', no cool air come out (compressor works, you can hear the noise). If I set FAN to 'On', life is getting better. But the FAN...

Dryer works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer stopped working mid-cycle during a heavy laundry load (lots of jeans). You could push the START button, but it would only hum but not move. My husband opened it up, found some rubber bands that were keeping the dryer drum from turning. It then worked - for one load. On the...

View more questions Search