Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xX_BoricuaMamii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Bump on my belly piercing
    There's this little bump around my belly ring and I don't know if it's a keloid or not. I just got it a few days ago. I don't know if I should just take the belly ring out or if its better to leave it in. someone please help because I don't know what to do and I hope its not a keloid because I really love my belly piercing and if it's a keloid then I won't be able to have it pierced. :(
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Is it possible to post a picture of it? If you don't want to, I understand, but it'd be easier to tell what it is with a picture.

Is it pink and hard? That maybe a keloid. If it is very painful or warm to the touch, it may be an infection. You want to leave the jewelry in if it is an infection. I would suggest cleaning it with salt water, and perhaps investing in some H2Ocean, a cleaning product that is easier to use. Also, if it is a keloid, some tea tree oil may be able to soften it and help. The important thing is to keep it clean and dry, and not to bump or snag it on anything. If the jewelry has lots of dangles or crevices for decoration that infection may grow within, I would honestly cut off the dangles with a pair of wire snips so they don't snag on anything, and be sure to clean the jewelry thoroughly. I had a keloid on an ear project piercing that I had, and it was very small, but it was the result of bumping it on something. I cleaned it every day and put some tea tree oil on it before I went to sleep at night, and the keloid softened and went away. If it is very large, I would say to remove the jewelry and begin cleaning it like normal, and consult your doctor or talk to your piercer, as some keloids get very large and have to be removed surgically, but hopefully yours is not that bad. Good luck with your piercing, and post again if you need some more help!
    mrdang Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Ok, probably just irritation- Bbuttons are notorious for it.

Could be caused by a change in jewelry, got bumped/rubbed on or simply overhandling it with 'less-than-sterile fingers'.

(I work at a shop)we always recommend to wash it twice daily with antibacterial soap, and if you can mix a solution of 1 cup hot (not scalding)water and 1/4teaspoon non-iodized seasalt (at most grocery stores, near regular salt, but must be NON-iodized) soak your piecing with the solution 5-10min twice a day until it goes away(if you can put it in a small glass/shotglass usually you can hold it against yourself without putting extra pressure on the piercing.) this draws out the irritation without causing trauma-don't pop it.

If you recently changed jewelry, the quality of the metal might not be as good. Try putting the previous back in. You should see results within a week.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 11:15 AM
    It does not sound like a keloid to me. Keloids develop over time, and from what you said it sounds like this appeared quite quickly. It sounds to me like what is called 'Hypertrophic Scarring'. This type of scarring is reversible (you can get rid of it). It is caused by excessive irritation to the piercing. This irritation can come from overcleaning, overusing salt water soaks, playing with the piercing, changing the jewelry too often, etc.

What you have to do to get rid of it is quite simple : take care of the piercing properly. Clean the piercing once a day with antibacterial (Dial) soap; not more than once a day. Overcleaning causes severe irritation which can include dryness, itchiness, flakiness, etc. Overcleaning also prolongs the healing process of the piercing, which you do not want to do since navel piercings take a year to fully heal.

Salt water soaks are a major problem especially since most people do not know how to use them. Overusing and abusing salt water can be detrimental to your piercing. I personally do not use, and do not recommend anyone else to use salt water. Overusing salt water can damage the tissues in your piercing and around it, causing dryness, cracking, peeling, etc. Also, overusing salt water does not allow the piercing to heal... period. It will never heal as long as salt water is abused. Salt water also does nothing for healing. It has absolutely no healing qualities for your piercing. In the best case scenario, it will do nothing for the piercing. Worst case scenario, it could damage your piercing so badly you will have to take it out, and you will have scarring. If you would still like to use salt water soaks (some people still do for peace of mind), you will find information on how to properly use the soaks in this sticky :

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/body-a...rt-195834.html

Remember, do not use the soaks more than once a day. It could damage your piercing.

Do not touch your piercing unless it is to clean it. Don't twist it, tug it... nothing like that. Piercings are meant to be ornamental for your body, they are not meant to be a toy to play with. Make sure that when you touch it to clean it, you always wash your hands first. Dirty hands spread bacteria.

Pick one piece of jewelry, and stick with it. Don't change the jewelry over and over again, because the piercing will get irritated. Don't use flashy or dangly jewelry, this kind of jewelry is quick to get caught on things and tear your piercing.

Wear long shirts and loose jeans, skirts and shorts. Any kind of pressure that is put on the area is only going to irritate it further. Avoid bending over for long periods as much as you can.

If you eliminate the irritation, the bump will go away. Just be sure to properly care for it and you will see results. :)
    mrdang Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Yes there are several schools of though on this, but the key is not to cure irritation by irritating it further (or overcleaning) and if you can, please have your piercer take a look at it. If they care about there rep/customers they would rather you see them than going strait to the doctor. Doctors are all about overall health and often very defensive against anything foreign to the body (a piercing)and will often just tell you to take it out. Piercers are used to seeing a 'controlled heal' and should be able to help you through it in a way that will be safe AND pretty. Good luck with your B Button- hope we didn't scare ya-i'm sure you'll be fine.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
    True, overcleaning is bad, and will cause it to hurt and get all red and flaky as the skin drys out. Not a good idea. Although you should clean, don't go crazy with it.
    sexyymandyy26 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 09:10 AM

heey =]

I would leave it for a bit and just use warm water to clean it and then savlon antiseptic wound wash that's what I use and I would recommend it to anyone =]
    jessicam16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
    That's the same thing that happened to mine, I got my belly button pierced about 8 weeks ago, and it started to get a little red/pinkish bump around it. I went to my piercer and he said it was scar tissue. He told me to use hydrosone cream, I've been using that for 2 weeks and it didn't work at all. So I went back and asked him can I use anything else and he told me tea tree oil, and finally its starting to go down, but its still there a little. So I think you should try that :) anyway, good luck :)
    blabla123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
    I got my belly pierced around 3 months ago and about 2 weeks ago a changed it to a dangly one. A few days ago I noticed under the hole in my belly button a reddish lump and its starting to sting and hurt when I lay on it. I don't know what to do or whether to swap it back to my non-dangly piercing.
    lindseytaylor72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 05:43 PM
    I got mine done about 8 months ago and mine just got a random knot between the two balls, above the bar where the skin is and I think its infected but I'm not for sure, but I'm not sure what type of bump your talking about.. hope everythings okay with yours. (:
    patty1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
    I have this scar on my belly button. It's a bump and its like a size of a penny or what not, and I did pierce my belly button, and I don't know what to do so I need help. I've tried to re-pierce it by myself with a piercing needle but every time I got the hole on and I have the belly ring for about 2 weeks, it would reject and it would go back to that bump. And now, I'm covering it with a band aid. What should I do? And I don't want to go to a doctor without my mom knowing.
    sarahpetzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
    I have mine done about one month and a half now and I change the bar and now I have this septic red yellow googie bubble and yellow icky stuff comes out of it all the time and I've been cleaning 2-3 times a day now and its still not gone please help me I clean it with warm water and sea salt!

PLEASE HELP!
    thamp0415 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 06:26 PM
    I'm not a professional on any of this. I have a small bump on the bottom hole of my piercing right now that prompted me to look around to see what iit may be. I think I am just ove cleaning it, so I'm got to use the LITHA Method for a few days outside of washing it in the shower. I do know this though. You ARE NOT supposed to take that barbell out at least until 6 months has past. Even then, I would just recommend changing the balls on the end of the bar and leave the original in as it should have been the sterilized surgical one you were given. Some of you are getting infected because you are anxious
    CassieElizabeth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 10:10 AM
    The same thing happened to mine. I went to my piercier she told me to put a couple of drops of tea tree oil on it twice a day.
    vmiramontes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
    I have had my belly pierced a previous time and it tore off completely from my stomach, I let it heal and got it re pierced a year later, I have recently been cleaning it with antibacterial soap and hydrogen peroxide to drain out all of the puss then went back to just antibacterial soap. I developed a cracking in my skin and my piercing hanging on by just a small amount of skin and fear it is going to tear off again I have no idea what to do and am avoiding getting it re pierced please help me it hurts so much when I touch it and feel like it can rip at any moment I do not know how to get rid of this awful bump

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly piercing [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I got my belly pierced and when I clean it and every thing it still feels like there is soap in it or the salt water but I rinsh it really good so I don't no and I'm getting kind a scared I only hade it picered 4 days.I think it is healing really good though how long should I clean it for?I...

Self belly piercing. [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I really want my navel pierced but my mum being my mum she said no I've got everything you would need to get it done lying about my room and I no how to serilise it etc My questions are, Should you go from top to bottom or bottom to top? How much forse should you apply on the needle to...

Belly piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I had my belly button pierced about 6yrs ago and have never had any problems with it but all of a sudden it has started to feel irritated and looks a bit red. I took it out for a few days gave everything a good clean but have just tried to put it back in and it has instantly got irritated and red...

Belly Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I just want to ask if the belly piercing causes cancer, because many people told me that it does since the belly is connected to our stomach and intestine! Thanks

Bump on bottom belly button piercing. Is this scar tissue? [ 14 Answers ]

I just got the bottom part of my belly button pierced a month ago.. It was healing fine with no problems when all of a sudden a few days ago I noticed a bump of what might be "scar tissue" that has formed next to my piercing. I am worried that my body is going to reject the piercing and it will...

View more questions Search