Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myk3l Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Water won't drain past garbage disposal
    My garbage disposal works, however, the water won't drain out of the sink. I have a dual sink and the other side is draining fine. Water just spins around, no drop in level for over four hours.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Put a stopper in the other sink and add water to hold it in place...

I put the plunger over the blocked side and add water while plunging

Turned on the disposal and see if this helps free up the blades

Once the water starts to drain the blades should free up
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Hi MYK...

Hey Biggsies on the right track to start... So, fill sink with disposal attached and then plunge away... should get you going.

You said disposal works fine, so I figure there is no rag in the disposer... so try to plunge first.

If that does not work you will need to drain the full sink (by cup.. by cup... ) and then climb under sink and see what is caught in the drainpipe between the disposer and the other sink tee fitting.

If other sink drains fine.. blockage is between there and disposal... just like you figured I am sure. Here's hoping a little plunging goes a long way!!

Let us know how it works out!

commishkep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 05:05 PM
    My problem was a lime wedge stuck in my drainpipe. My sink was not draining and my dishwasher also would not drain. I took the drainpipes apart one-by-one until I found the problem. Make sure your disposal is unplugged and you have a towel and something to catch the water handy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water won't drain beyond garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I put some freshly cooked chicken strips(that didn't smell right) down the disposal and it clogged up. Thinking it was just a mass glob of bad chicken blocking the drainage, I unscrewed the hole under the pipes to snake the pipes, and of course got a big blob of ground chicken. Now I can't get...

Garbage Disposal Won't Drain [ 4 Answers ]

My garbage disposal has about 2" of water in its sink that won't drain. The disposal itself runs, but the water doesn't drain. No water comes up the adjoining sink. We've plunged it but that hasn't worked. Any experience or suggestion re this type of problem? Thanks in advance.

Garbage disposal won't drain all the scraps [ 1 Answers ]

After using my disposal I seem to have a problem with the "crud " being trapped in the trap is it my dispoal ?

Garbage disposal side of the sink won't drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly the side of my kitchen sink that contains the garbage disposal won't drain. The garbage disposal is empty, it seems to work just fine and the other side of the sink drains beautifully. Plunging doesn't work because of the dishwasher run-off vent. Am I safe in assuming that the clog...

Garbage disposal leaking water [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Please help. There was a child's plastic spoon jammed in the disposal at the grinding wheel. I got a socket wrench around the flywheel nut and twisted counterclockwise and was able to dislodge it. I hooked everything back up, ran water and turned on the disposal and water leaked out...

View more questions Search