Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Feb 14, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Sewer smell from toilet
    My husband installed a new pvc flange on the toilet because the toilet was rocking. We have a year old house. Did he not fit or glue the flange properly to the soil pipe because it smells from the toilet . This is the 2nd time he pulled the toilet up in the past week because we thought it was the wax ring giving a problem.?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    My husband installed a new pvc flange on the toilet bc the toilet was rocking. We have a year old house. Did he not fit or glue the flange properly to the soil pipe bc it smells from the toilet . This is the 2nd time he pulled the toilet up in the past week bc we thought it was the wax ring giving a problem. ??
    Hey Pumpkin,

The flange just secures the bowl to the floor. If the bowl no longer rocks or turns the flange's OK. There could have been some nasty water that soaked into the floor or the wax seal may have ruptured.
    Did the smell come on gradually or all of a sudden? Can you tell me where it smells the strongest? The bowl? The base? Behind the bowl? Let me know, Regards, Tom
    -

Feb 14, 2006, 02:28 PM
    The sewer smell seems to be coming from the toilet bowl water because I closed the lid to sniff around first. After replacing the cracked flange this smell came on. My husband is going to pull the toilet again this w/e & put a new flange on again. The 1st time we thought the wax ring failed because we put it on the flange instead of the horn, but still got the smell with the 2nd wax ring anyway. Could he have not glued the flange sufficiently to the soil pipe when he busted out the cracked flange?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 14, 2006, 02:36 PM
    My husband is going to pull the toilet again this w/e & put a new flange on again.
    You're focusing on the wrong point. Let me make something very clear: THE PURPOSE OF THE FLANGE IS ONLY TO SECURE THE TOILET TO THE FLOOR - IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOILET'S ASSOCIATION WITH THE DRAIN PIPE. In fact, in the olden days flanges were not even used - the toilet was simply screwed into the floor using wood screw closet bolts.

Unless your toilet is rocking back and forth, putting in a new flange will not help you any. Rather than simply replacing the flange, focus on WHAT WENT WRONG during the installation of the existing flange that is now causing problems. If you install a new flange exactly the way this one is situated, you're back to square one.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2006, 02:40 PM
    The sewer smell seems to be coming from the toilet bowl water bc I closed the lid to sniff around first. After replacing the cracked flange this smell came on. My husband is going to pull the toilet again this w/e & put a new flange on again. The 1st time we thought the wax ring failed bc we put it on the flange instead of the horn, but still got the smell with the 2nd wax ring anyway. Could he have not glued the flange sufficiently to the soil pipe when he busted out the cracked flange?
    As I've stated,"The flange just secures the bowl to the floor. If the bowl no longer rocks or turns then the flange's OK."
    Try this. Tonight before you go to bed shut the water off to the toilet and empty the tank and dip and sponge the water out of the bowl. Now put 1 gallon of bleach in the tank and scrub the sides,floor and the inside of the lid with the bleach. Now flush the bleach from the tank into the bowl and scrub the bowl down. Let it set overnight. Next morning turn the water back on and flush the bleach out. Smell better now? Cheers, Tom
    -

Feb 14, 2006, 04:01 PM
    This particular flange has a 4" extension that goes down the main sewer pipe. To remove the 1st damaged flange, husband had to cut the sidewalls of broken flange with a hacksaw then chipped out old flange. Is it possible that not enough glue was used & now gas is seeping up through cut marks of main sewer pipe? Man from home depot stressed to use a lot of glue, & we fear we did not& the gas is seeping through those cut marks. But if this isn't causing the odor, how can the gas be getting into the toilet bowl water?
    -

Feb 14, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Well, thanks for your info. I had already read that I could put a few cupfuls of bleach in the overflow tube of the tank & flush that, but you're right, something was growing under the rim & a lot! Husband said the water was o.k. but the jets were the culprit. So, no big project after all. Just a skinny brush, a mask & some bleach with the water off, & wha-la the house is like new again! What a strange coincidence that the germs decided to flourish when we did this job. I will do the overnight thing with the bleach in the bowl though just to make sure. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell When Windy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new to this board and hope this makes sense. I live in a newer house (7 years old). There is a toilet in the basement. When it is windy outside, there is a septic smell coming from that toilet area. This toilet drains into an ejector pump that goes out to the septic tank. It...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

A sewer smell started coming from the bathroom sink drain. I put bleach down it and its OK for a few hours and then its back. Could my vent pipe on the roof be clogged? Help!

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

Oh Lord, I live in a 3 family home and I have there are 9 persons living in the home. (5 are tenants) and my family 4) anyway, lately, I have been smelling a sewerage smell... I am so embarrassed. I don't think I have a septic tank... we live in the bronx, ny... brick home. I read that I can...

Sewer smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We have a lingering sewer smell coming out of our guest bathroom. It was a brandnew house when we moved in about two months ago. The bathroom didn't smell until we started to use that bathroom. We sealed the loose connection on the sewer vent pipe that goes through the attic and raised the vent...

View more questions Search