Ask
    Penne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2004, 04:47 AM
    What to do for items dropped into toilet
    I`ve dropped a hair-clip about 1-2ins. In diameter,into
    The toilet as it was flushing. The toilet seems to be
    Flushing properly so far, but I`m concerned about it
    Becoming problematic in the future. Is there something
    I can pour into it to disintegrate it? It`s plastic.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2004, 06:10 AM
    Re: what to do for items dropped into toilet
    Hey Penn,  There is nothing you can put in the bowl that will desolve plastic, however you might not have to do anything. The hair clip might just have flushed on through and out the main sewer.  How I check to see if a bowl is clear is to wad a BIG chunk, (I'm talking 1/4 roll here) of toilet paper up and load the bowl.  Now flush.  Do it again with the paper thing.  If it starts to back up then you will have to use a closet auger to try and break up the blockage and send it on through.  If it takes the paper down without backing up then your bowl is clear and your worrys are gone.  If it's still down there after you test and you need further instructions on how to auger a toilet click on back and I'll be happy to help.  good luck,  Tom
    Penne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 11:15 PM
    Hello Speedball1,

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I tried what you
    Suggested, and there doesn`t seem to be a problem.
    I am curious to know what the diameter of the pipe be,
    (just after the toilet flushes and before the main sewer).
    The whole system is probably about 8 years old.
    Another question please... what is a closet auger??
    Please excuse these basic queries, but I happen to be
    One of those very home-maintenance challenged people!
    Thank you, once again for your help.

Cheers... Penne

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2004, 04:51 AM
    Good morning  Penne,   :D  Glad everything worked out well for you.   You asked about the diameter of the pipes that connect to the toilet.  ??   If you're on a slab and the pipes are underground the diameter is four inches.  If a first or second floor toilet the diameter may drop to three inches.  A closet auger is a snake that is made specifically for toilets.  It sends a cable through the entire bowl and trap extending a few inches below the floor line.  This cable has a crank on one end to revolve the cable and a auger tip on the other to auger into and remove any blockage that may be present.  A closet auger is a "must have" tool for a homeowner that wants to do their own repair to save on costs. :) Hope this answers your question  Cheers,  Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropped Diamond earring down the drain! [ 13 Answers ]

PLease help! I just dropped my earring down the drain. The water wasn't running, it just dropped. Can I assume it's possibly still sitting in the pipe? My husband isn't answering his office phone and I am frantic. Please help me!

Dropped diamond earring down the drain! [ 7 Answers ]

Help! My diamond earring fell down the drain while I was in the shower. The water was obviously running. Wasn't in the shower long, so I'm hoping it hasn't been washed past the trap. Is there any way to get it back?

Runescape items [ 25 Answers ]

Could someone tell me how much a mind talisman is worth? I a newbie and completely clueless... :confused: :D

Dropped diamond earring [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I...

Hot water pressure suddenly dropped [ 2 Answers ]

In kitchen sink, was using hot and cold water (separate knobs) and all of a sudden the hot water pressure dropped to a trickle. I tried taking the faucet apart and checking the washers, and they were all fine. Cleaned everything really well and put it all back together, and still have trickle for...

View more questions Search