Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Des018 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Taking my children out of state
    My husband & I will be divorcing this spring and I wanted to move back home to Michigan with our three children. We are currently living in Maine and he's active duty in the Navy. Are there any laws that would prevent me from taking our kids to MI?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 10:30 AM
    The court may not allow this if your husband states he is not in favor of this move. If you two will have joint custody, it will create a hardship for him to maintain his part of the custody. If you acquire full custody and he has visitation - it still may create a hardship for him. I do not know particulars here about your case - that is for your attorney and his attorney and the court to decide.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
    In the divorce and children custody agreements, normally there are restrctions that do not allow you to move without the other parents permission.

This may or may not be in your court orders
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jan 12, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Have you talked to the kids about what they want?

Why do you want to move?

I hope that you take into consideration what the kids need.

There are some loony judges out there that think that visitation rights can be done over the internet. I hope you don't get one of those.

Kids need both parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
    As part of the divorce, he may get joint custody with visitation. If your moving interferes with the visitation then you could be prevented from moving.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jan 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Kids need other family also like cousins, aunts, uncles, grandpa, grandma.

If at all possible, please take into consideration the needs of the kids.

I hope you get a judge that sticks by the law that protects kids.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana2007
    Kids need other family also like cousins, aunts, uncles, grandpa, grandma.

If at all possible, please take into consideration the needs of the kids.

I hope you get a judge that sticks by the law that protects kids.
    First and foremost kids need their parents. Extended family can be kept in contact with by visits, correspondence etc.

The bottomline here is the OP and her husband will need to negotiate a custody/visitation agreement as part of the divorce agreement. If the husband wants visitation, unless he represents a danger to the kids, he will get it. If moving interferes with that agreement she will not be able to.
    mystiquegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Usually, they can disagree but if you can prove that its for the better interest of you and your children then the judge has to approve it despite your exs wishes they will set up joint custody of visitations where you have kids if they are in school you keep them during the school year and they keep them during the summer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking child out of state [ 2 Answers ]

my x wife is trying to take my son out of state, we are divorce and we have joint legaly custody

Ex taking kids out of state on vacation [ 4 Answers ]

My Ex Husband and I got divorced last year , but there was never a parenting plan established. I am custodial parent though. My ex has been recently causing more problems, and being manipulative with his kids telling them that they are going to get to talk with someone and choose whom they live...

Wife taking the child out of state [ 3 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

Spouse taking kids out of state [ 2 Answers ]

My brother's wife just recently left him. She plans on taking the kids out of state with another man this weekend and he doesn't want her to. He went to the police and they told him that they could not tell him what to do, but that they recommended him to check the internet or an attorney. He...

Taking a child out of state [ 7 Answers ]

I, a single mother, left IL. With my 3 year old daughter, that I have sole custody of. We are living with her grand parents. Now her father (we have never been married) tells me that he is going to take me to court and demand that I bring her back. He only pays $50.00 per week and that is very...

View more questions Search