Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mia1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 05:21 PM
    How do I find my biological parents without knowing any information on them, not even their names. The only information I have is that I was born in Flint, Michigan and my birth name is Christina. I was given up for adoption to a very well known and prominent family in Flint Michigan, where I currently reside.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 07:36 AM
    How old are you and why do you wish to find them.

Are you not happy and love your parents who have raised you.

But without more info it is doubtful you will have a lot of luck, you can post your info on various adoption web sites and try to contact
    traklyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
    I think the previous post was quite ignorant. Wanting to look for your biological parents does NOT mean an adoptee is unhappy or doesn't love their adoptive parents. It is a normal, natural need to know where we come from. Look at American's obsession with genealogy - very few people aren't interested in where their family came from or what their heritage is.

mia1981, I would suggest starting with the agency that placed you for adoption. You can often get non-indentifying information about your biological parents, such as their ages at your birth, their physical descriptions, interests, hobbies, jobs, etc. Depending on what state you were adopted in, you may have right to access your original birth certificate or information.

There is also a registry called ISRR. If you submit your information, and your biological parents submit their information, you will both be notified of a match. It is not a searching service, but what's called a "passive registry." To my knowledge it's the largest and most well-known registry. ISRR

Be careful about posting personal information on random websites to try and make a match. Always keep some information to yourself so you can verify a potential match if someone contacts you claiming to be a biological relative.

Finally, I suggest that you try to connect with other adoptees and read information about the search and reunion process. There may be support groups in your area or online groups for people who are searching. I'm not from MI so I'm not aware of the resources specifically available there, but I'm sure there are plenty. I found "Birthright: the guide to search and reunion for adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents" to be very helpful even if it is 14 years old. Some of the resources are out of date, but the message is timeless.

Searching requires a lot of patience and emotion, and there are no guarantees. I wish you all the best in your quest to find more about yourself.
    anonymom64 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Hi Christina,
    I sincerely want to wish you all the best luck in your search. Please be prepared for heartache in the months/years to come. Sometimes you find out a lot of things you never imagined you'd hear about.
    I think Traklyn said a lot of good things.
    I think no one who hasn't been adopted can know what it feels like to be adopted and have an overwhelming desire to search for your Mother for years of their life, if they have to. And what all it involves. As Traklyn says, it really does require "a lot of patience and emotion"... Everyone has a right to know the truth, though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by traklyn
    I think the previous post was quite ignorant. Wanting to look for your biological parents does NOT mean an adoptee is unhappy or doesn't love their adoptive parents. It is a normal, natural need to know where we come from. Look at American's obsession with geneology - very few people aren't interested in where their family came from or what their heritage is.

mia1981, I would suggest starting with the agency that placed you for adoption. You can often get non-indentifying information about your biological parents, such as their ages at your birth, their physical descriptions, interests, hobbies, jobs, etc. Depending on what state you were adopted in, you may have right to access your original birth certificate or information.

There is also a registry called ISRR. If you submit your information, and your biological parents submit their information, you will both be notified of a match. It is not a searching service, but what's called a "passive registry." To my knowledge it's the largest and most well-known registry. ISRR

Be careful about posting personal information on random websites to try and make a match. Always keep some information to yourself so you can verify a potential match if someone contacts you claiming to be a biological relative.

Finally, I suggest that you try to connect with other adoptees and read information about the search and reunion process. There may be support groups in your area or online groups for people who are searching. I'm not from MI so I'm not aware of the resources specifically available there, but I'm sure there are plenty. I found "Birthright: the guide to search and reunion for adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents" to be very helpful even if it is 14 years old. Some of the resources are out of date, but the message is timeless.

Searching requires a lot of patience and emotion, and there are no guarantees. I wish you all the best in your quest to find more about yourself.

No of course it is natural to want to know your background, but guess what, it is your adopted parents that you truly are by all real reasons of a family. The sperm donors are not family and not the background you belong to by any means.

And it is not normal or regular for all adoptees to want to find, it has been pushed by some and snowballed because of people that tell them they are suppose to feel that way.

What they are suppose to be is happy that they have a family and happy with who they are.

I am adopted, I have a adopted son, and I have counseld 100's of adoptees that have searched and often found a hateful bioparent, who did not want to be found, or found they were a product of rape or worst.
    So no really a person needs to learn and find inner peace with who they are and understand the love of their real family with no real need to know anyone parent
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 01:09 AM
    Speaking from the other side (as usual):

I'm a birthmom.

PLEASE SEARCH.

A lot of birthmothers, especially of closed adoptions, were coerced. YES, some want to just forget that part of their lives, and just want to move on---but more have thought of you EVERY DAY since you left their arms.

Most birthparents will not search because they don't want to disrupt the life they gave their child. In more recent years, with the rate of women choosing adoption dropping drastically, it is a gift of love.

Birthparents are not "spermdonors" or "egg donors". We're real parents in that we made the hardest parenting choice a person would EVER have to make.

We don't want to take the place of adoptive parents--we know we never could, and the reason we chose adoption in the FIRST place is because we wanted our kids to have a great family--a family we couldn't, at the time, give them. But--to say that wondering and wishing isn't natural on either side of that separation -- Maybe not for you, but for many it is.

No, we weren't there for the booboos, and the nightmares, and the school plays--but we dreamed we could be, and cried when we couldn't.

Again--this is not true of EVERY birthparent, just as it's not true that EVERY adoptee wants to find their natural parents.
    klove66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    No of course it is natural to want to know your background, but guess what, it is your adopted parents that you truly are by all real reasons of a family. the sperm donors are not family and not the background you belong to by any means.

And it is not normal or regular for all adoptees to want to find, it has been pushed by some and snowballed because of people that tell them they are suppose to feel that way.

What they are suppose to be is happy that they have a family and happy with who they are.

I am adopted, I have a adopted son, and I have counseld 100's of adoptees that have searched and often found a hateful bioparent, who did not want to be found, or found they were a product of rape or worst.
    So no really a person needs to learn and find inner peace with who they are and understand the love of thier real family with no real need to know anyone parent
    I really doubt you have counseled anyone considering your demeanor and presentation... and if you have... you should STOP because it does not seem to be your forte. I am an adoptee as well and considering the complexities of medical and health issues that you could have to face... it is only natural to want to know.

As for the hateful parent syndrome... it does exist... but because you have gone so far as to inquire here, you are probably strong enough to endure whatever situation you may encounter. It may be the hardest step one has to ever make as an adoptee... but it is necessary.

To be adopted is a form of love that words can not personify. Please listen to the carefully selected words of traklyn... they are right on target ;)
    dkps09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 08:34 AM
    I also am adopted and have often thought about searching for my birth parents. I was told that they were both very young when I was born. Due to their age and the times, my birth mother was forced to give me up for adoption. I would love to tell you that I went to a loving family, but this was not the case. My adoptive parents devorced when I was 4 yrs old, rendering me a useless bi product of a failed marriage. I have a good life now and am quite happy as an adult. Many years back I tried a service mentioned on this "omni"-page. I answered a series of questions and was contacted by what I would call a "sales man". The cost for their service was more than I expected and I felt like his sensitivity to my search was lackluster. When I commented on the quoted price his response was " Well..how important is it to you" It felt like a cold sales pitch. Im not saying that all services would be this way, but it halted my search. I have also considered the fact that they may not want to be found, and that my search would not be welcome. This would be an emotional wreck for everyone involved. I wish you the best of luck with your search. Sorry not so helpful, but I thought you would like to know your not alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding my biological parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 42 year old man that is curious about finding my birth parents but everyone wants so much money to help how can I find them for free or at low cost ?

Are my biological parents as curious as I am? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Maggie. I just got married and a major event such as that made me wonder if my biological parents wonder what I'm up to? This has happened a lot during my last couple birthdays... wondering if they know how old I'm turning and stuff. I don't have one bit of...

Looking for my biological parents [ 7 Answers ]

I have been looking for my biological parents for almost ten years now. My birth name is Kira Lively. My birthparent's names are James and Kathleen Lively. I have one brother and one sister, Joseph and Jessica. I was placed into foster care when I was nine years old and adopted when I was twelve...

Locating Biological parents [ 1 Answers ]

How do I begin to find my biological parents since I was adopted abroad in Munich, Germany?

Support Groups for Adults who find their biological parents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've searched a great deal today and then stumbled across this site, I'm hoping someone my have an answer or be able to point me in the right direction. See I was recently contacted by my biological father that I've never met. My mother and he split shortly after I was born and while he knew...

View more questions Search