Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Fee for being Power of Attorney
    A sister and myself are co-power of attorney for another sister. Can we charge a fee? If so, how much? Does this vary by state? The POA was done in Pennsylvania.

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
    You are wanting to charge a fee being POA of your sister? Who are you going to charge? Your sister? Pretty low isn't it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by john821
    A sister and myself are co-power of attorney for another sister. Can we charge a fee? If so, how much? Does this vary by state? The POA was done in Pennsylvania.

Thanks
    Not unless a fee is specified in the Power of Attorney - you are entitled to reimburse yourself for necessary out-of-pocket expenses but that's a very grey area and you could find yourself being charged with abuse of the P/A - and fraud.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I think you are mistaking PofA for an executor of an estate or maybe a guardian.

You can't charge a fee for being a PofA. You MIGHT be able to charge a fee for the work you do using the PofA. But that usually is only when the PofA holder is an attorney or other representative.

Why were you given PofA? Why would you want to charge anything? What are you doing that you think you should be compensated for?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I think you are mistaking PofA for an executor of an estate or maybe a guardian.

You can't charge a fee for being a PofA. You MIGHT be able to charge a fee for the work you do using the PofA. But that usually is only when the PofA holder is an attorney or other representative.

Why were you given PofA? Why would you want to charge anything? What are you doing that you think you should be compensated for?

You can charge a fee if it's specified in the body of the P/A - I've seen Attorneys do it routinely. When it's a family member the fee is always suspect -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You can charge a fee if it's specified in the body of the P/A - I've seen Attorneys do it routinely. When it's a family member the fee is always suspect -
    Hi Judy,
    Right! An attorney would charge a fee to act as PofA. But the fee would be for representing the person more than acting as PofA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of attorney [ 3 Answers ]

Can you get a power of attorney for a person than can no longer write or comprehend what you are asking? The person is terminally ill, in hospice.

Power of Attorney [ 3 Answers ]

Can Banks refuse a legal Power of Attorney from authorized party?

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

Does one have to be an lawyer/attorney to have the power of attorney? My brother has applied power of attorney for my mother who has senile dementia.

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I have been assigned power of attorney for both parents. I am afraid that my brother will go to the bank and put all of my parents assests in an account with his name only. Can he legally do this?

Power of attorney [ 3 Answers ]

If I'm the power of attorney for my mother due to her illness can I file bankruptcy for her under my social security number for her.

View more questions Search