Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldgeek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Ceiling Fan Capacitor Speed Control
    I have an 8 year old Harbor Breeze Fan, 3 speed, and the capacitor module shorted. Being unable to get any help from WalMart's Cust Service, I searched the internet and although I needed a 2 capacitor (1.2 uf & 2 uf) I had to settle for a 1.0 uf / 2 uf) I paralled the 1.0 with 2 0.1 uf capacitors and all speeds work fine except that the highest seems slower than originally. I would like to get a few more rpms out of it. Any suggestions for a little more speed?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Answer Expert Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Actually the capacitor is only used to get the motor started. Once it is running the capacitor has no effect on the motor speed. Click here to view how a capacitor motor works. The only way to increase the motor's speed is to reduce it's load or change the windings. Neither of these would be piratical in your application. If you need additional information, please ask.

Jul 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I assume then that the motor has 3 windings & changing the speed switch changes windings & it's corresponding startup capacitor. If this is true, then my only solution is a new fan. Right?
    Answer Expert Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Yes, when you change the position of the switch it changes which winding is being used. Lubricating the fan may increase it's speed slightly. Reducing the size of the fan blades would decrease it's drag and possible increase the speed. Most likely, if more speed is wanted replacement of the fan is the best option.
    skytrainii Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jul 28, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeek
    I have an 8 year old Harbor Breeze Fan, 3 speed, and the capacitor module shorted. Being unable to get any help from WalMart's Cust Service, I searched the internet and although i needed a 2 capacitor (1.2 uf & 2 uf) I had to settle for a 1.0 uf / 2 uf) I paralled the 1.0 with 2 0.1 uf capacitors and all speeds work fine except that the highest seems slower than originally. I would like to get a few more rpms out of it. Any suggestions for a little more speed?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    This may help. There is such a thing as a capacitor speed controlled motor. Here is the link to the paten Capacitor-type motor speed controller - US Patent 5703458

Most ceiling fans use this method of controlling the fan speed. Here is another link to a place that sells parts; including all sorts of ceiling fan capacitors. Capacitors - ceiling fans

I have no doupt you will find the one you need.

Now for the other part of your question. For most ceiling fans, the wide open speed does not use a capacitor; the motor is connected directly to the 110 source. So you can't push it any further than that. Most of the fan speed switches hi position you will find shorts the capacitor out of the circuit. Medium adds one level of capacitance and low adds a different level.

There is another capacitor somewhere in the circuit that is not always accesable. That is the one that has final control over the wide open speed. But as I said, most fans don't let you at that one. My hunter uses a 4 wire 5uf, 5uf and has a separate capacitor as well. I can get at that one.

No, most ceiling fans do not have more than one widing to control the speed.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Actually, an incorrect value capacitor can change the running speed of a ceiling fan.

I doubt 1.2 vs. 1.0 should make a significant difference. Any fan using that small of a capacitor is probably not a great fan to begin with.

Do the blades still turn freely by hand?

Dec 22, 2007, 06:02 AM
    I want to thank you all for your inputs but ultimately I was forced to replace the entire unit to
    Get adequate summer cooling. New fan runs 30-40 rpm higher than old unit on the highest speed and that is just what was needed. Oh, the old fan did indeed have 3 windings! Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Technically it should have two windings, one is the run winding and the other, with the capacitor, is the start/aux winding. If it has a multi-value capacitor than that's how speeds are derived. Other fans have a single value capacitor and multiple speed taps in the run winding (I believe, it might be the aux winding).

But if you had a Harbor Breeze that wasn't that great to begin with, you did good to replace it. Hunter is good in the home-center price range.
    SchadMonster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Any way to simply bypass the switch and capacitor and hardwire the fan to run when the wall switch is on? My fan's switch died an ugly death, and with all my reading/learning and fiddling here, I suspect there's a capacitor problem as well. The fan still looks good. The lights still work well. And I'm hating the idea of replacing the entire fan for just an internal part. However, while tracking down the internal part(s) for "quick" and "easy" replacement, I've learned they're actually more expensive than the entire fan. I s'pose my answer's on the wall (bite the bullet and buy a new fan), but... this 'giving up' thing is eating at me. I'd rather just sacrifice the fan's ability to have 3 speeds and wire it so that it's "on." Possible? Or, maybe I just doomed to have a ceiling light with non-functional blades sticking out of it?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 10:43 PM

Is it a remote fan or a pullchain fan?
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jan 3, 2010, 05:27 AM
    The single pahse motor can have two windings or what is called a shaded pole wich only has one winding and does not need a capacitor to start.

The capacitor is simply used to reduce the voltage which then reduces the current and then the torque. This then reduces the fans ability to keep up with the rotating field, hence it goes slower.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:35 AM

Newton you are right, but wrong.

Ceiling fans made since the mid 1980s all use PSC motors and not shaded pole motors. The capacitor serves as a "phase shifter" for one pole.
    lgvenegasg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Is it a remote fan or a pullchain fan?
    Hi,

I know it´s an old thread, but I´m dealing with a ceiling fan and I´m curious to know if it is possible to bypass the capacitor in a pullchain fan with two switches, one for light and one for fan speed.
    I´m not living at USA, so buying the part here seems an impossible task.
    Thank you in advance.
    sandeep chandu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
    The main use of capacitor is to supply more current at once so that a strong magnetic field is produced and this helps in rotation of starting coil and further second coil starts.
    sandeep chandu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
    The main use of capacitor is to supply more current at once so that a strong magnetic field is produced and this helps in rotation of starting coil and further second coil starts.
    Anoop Singh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 04:58 AM
    Speed of Ceiling fan is greatly improved by changing the old capacitor with a New One of Same Rating its Practical.

Anoop Singh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capacitor on a ceiling fan [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody. Newbie on this forum. My ceiling fan is out of order due to capacitor burnout. It is 2.25 MFD. Even when it was working fine, I felt it was not running at full RPM revolutions per minute. My friend suggested that replacing old capacitor with 4 MFD will help resolve RPM...

Ceiling fan capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

The fan is a Hunter. In the housing holding the pull chain is a 5-wire capacitor. I bought a pull chain switch 5-8 wire switch with a capacitors in it, brand Harbor Breeze. Will this replacement switch work if the capacitor in it is bad. Or where might I buy a capacitor for it. The capacitor is...

Ceiling fan with 2 speed control switches [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if it was any way possible to hook up 2 control switches to 1 ceiling fan? The fan is at top of stairs and connected to a high ceiling so if this were possible it would be so much of a convenience instead of always running up the stairs to turn on fan. Any help would be greatly...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Ceiling fan: change capacitor for single speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Loyal Products made in Taiwan fan with melted 4 wire capacitor. The capacitor has blue wire in and red 4uF, white 4.5uF and yellow 5uF wires out. This is connected to a two layer switch by the red and yellow wire. The white capacitor wire connects to a red wire going into the motor. My...

View more questions Search