Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suqj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 04:17 PM
    How much should it cost to have thermocouple replaced on a hot water heater
    How much should it cost to have thermocouple replaced on a hot water heater?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Let me see, you will have about a 65 dollar service call just to get them to your house. Then you will have a labor (most bill by 1/2 hour) so you will have about 25 or 30 dollars for that. And then maybe 10 to 15 for the part.

So you have about 100 to 110 dollars rough estimate.

Of course you can go to the hardware store, buy one and put it in yourself fairly easy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Chuck is right. You might get away for less than that, but not much less. A quote from another answer I just gave: ''Tom knows how plumbers do things. He knows exactly how to make the right tool work, and had it on his truck. That is part of being a pro.'' Training, experience, tools, parts, and a truck to haul them don't come cheap.

Thermocouples do. You have a nut at one end and maybe a screw or 2 holding it in place at the other end. You can see a picture of one in the Heating and cooling sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html
    It won't hurt to take the old one with you.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    let me see, you will have about a 65 dollar service call just to get them to your house. then you will have a labor (most bill by 1/2 hour) so you will have about 25 or 30 dollars for that. And then maybe 10 to 15 for the part.

So you have about 100 to 110 dollars rough estimate.

Of course you can go to the hardware store, buy one and put it in yourself fairly easy
    $65.00 an hour?

You need to get out more often, FC.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Chuck is right. You might get away for less than that, but not much less. A quote from another answer I just gave: ''Tom knows how plumbers do things. He knows exactly how to make the right tool work, and had it on his truck. That is part of being a pro.'' Training, experience, tools, parts, and a truck to haul them don't come cheap.

Thermocouples do. You have a nut at one end and maybe a screw or 2 holding it in place at the other end. You can see a picture of one in the Heating and cooling sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html
    It won't hurt to take the old one with you.
    Labmans right -- If you have the wherewithal to replace it yourself, then you should do so.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Suqj needs to tell us where he lives and if he wants a pro or is he asking a DIY question. He really has not made that clear in his question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    $65.00 an hour?

You need to get out more often, FC.
    No, that is a common labor rate in Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee.

I was merely using the labor rates I use now when I am doing any service work again. We have a 65 dollar service fee and then our hourly shop rate for labor is 60 dollars. I do a 1/4 of hour min myself but some have a one hour min.

I actually change thermocouple on commercial gas equipment so yes if our company came out it would be in that 120 to 150 range by the time we got done.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:57 PM
    I think that is just what the OP wanted to know. I also think we did well to suggest a DIY project. Changing a thermocouple would be a good first project and save a bundle.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 09:07 PM
    True, it is probably the easiest fix I can think of that would cost over $100 for a pro to complete. It is very close to replacing a faucet washer in level of difficulty and cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Gas Water Heater - Thermocouple replacement [ 0 Answers ]

Specifically - I have a State Industries, Inc. Censible 510 Model PRV 50 PBRT6 F 50 gallon gas water heater dated 1991 (S/N E93760685) and I want to replace the thermocouple. Usually, a thermocouple simply slides in/out or has a screw base to hold it in place - this one does not or at least I...

Replaced a water pump [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced my water pump. When I turn on all the faucets in my house the kitchen faucet just drips, both bathroom showers run okay, the sinks in each bathroom run but very low. All the faucets run clear for a few min. then have brown stuff coming out. What could be wrong now? Please help...

Replaced thermocouple furnace still won't stay lite [ 2 Answers ]

Our furnace was pushing out cold air, my husband replaced the thermocouple and now the furnace will lite, then about 20 seconds later the light will go out and the whole furnace will stop working. It is a Coleman forced heat. Please give us some help

View more questions Search