Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    She built it, or was trying to restore it? How many octaves is it? I read an interesting story online not very long ago about someone who built one out of junk. It was based upon a 15 century Italian Virginal. They showed a photo of the original from a museum. Beautiful! (But then I appreciate things like that.)

Anyhow, so I am thinking you removed the unnecessary pieces of wood, stripped off the orange paint and re-strung it?

You are a very talented man!

Anyhow, I am heading off to bed. Thanks for keeping us in suspense. :D

Hugs, Didi
    Thanks for the compliment, Didi! Same to you, also!

More information will come, later.

Hugs, Craig
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Hello Grammadidi,JR,Cal,Clough and all the others here enjoying the Art thread.

Clough,
    Are you ever going to post one of yours?;)
    I already started to firm, in post #309, in case you missed it. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:16 AM
    A small drop-leaf table restored for a customer, that was in horrible shape before restoration! These are before and after pictures below.
    Attached Images

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
    WOW!
    Clough,if you had not stated that this is the same table, I would never have believed it :).Nice work.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Hey! Thanks a lot, firmbeliever!
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hey! Thanks a lot, firmbeliever!
    I say it like I see it.;)

What did you do to that old table?Does it take long to get that done?

I always have ideas on furniture designs,but have never tried creating them or even restoring any.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:55 AM
    I say it like I see it.;)

What did you do to that old table? Does it take long to get that done?

I always have ideas on furniture designs, but have never tried creating them or even restoring any.
    Thank you for asking!

I stripped the old paint off it, sanded it and then applied a stain as well as a clear finish. That's the simplest way to describe it. There was is a lot more involved in the process, though.

How long it takes can depend on a number of factors. Doing a restoration project, such as on the small table that you see could take a day, days or even a couple of weeks depending on what needs to be done.

Furniture, by-the-way, is one of the hardest things to design that is for personal use. This also has to do with many factors which have to be considered, as far as the design.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 03:24 AM
    Thank you for asking!

I stripped the old paint off of it, sanded it and then applied a stain as well as a clear finish. That's the simplest way to describe it. There was is a lot more involved in the process, though.

How long it takes can depend on a number of factors. Doing a restoration project, such as on the small table that you see could take a day, days or even a couple of weeks depending on what needs to be done.

Furniture, by-the-way, is one of the hardest things to design that is for personal use. This also has to do with many factors which have to be considered, as far as the design.
    The process sounds interesting.

I still think the work was beautiful.

I will try to design some things and post them here, you give me your feedback on how difficult or easy it would be to build one,OK?

I like to design practical space saver furniture for small spaces because most furniture stores carry furniture for huge spaces.

I hope you have some more of your restoration work to show us.:)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Oct 20, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Great work on the table! Can barely believe it's the same one, the result is so cool.
    Well, I went through my sketchpad, the photos isn't very good quality, and they isn't my best ever drawings, but meh
    Ones a pastel drawing I did on the front of the pad ("a place where i can die")
    The other 2 images are the top and bottom halves of a finetip pen drawing called "1#"
    (in that series of drawings I just gave them numbers instead of titles)
    If you like that drawing ill show you guys the rest of the series, its all got a common theme of the mannikins and other stuff :) later I mite do better quality versions of those because I'm not too happy with the quality of my drawing in that series :s
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Cal,
    Have you tried comic illustrations?
    Your 2nd and 3rd drawing has that comic effect and if you get some colours in, I am sure it will look beautiful, published like a comic strip.

The first one is very deep and I think I can see a lot of "you" in it.

The other two art pieces also made me realise something,but I will not say it here:),maybe a PM will do eh Cal?
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Oct 20, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Hehe thanks for the compliments :)
    Comic illustration? Neva thought of that.
    Pm me if u like I guess.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Chek, I have been re-reading posts and looking at everyone's art again (as I seem to do often). What did/do you do with these beautiful pieces that you create (ie: the carriage, cannon, 'Sue' the T-Rex)??

You have so many talents! I would LOVE to have a woodshop that I could work in. I have always wanted a lathe and a planer... sigh... maybe one day! :)

I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Hugs, Didi
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Cal, "A Place Where I Can Die" is awesome! The feelings alone that it generates are incredible, but I also like the way you were able to create the illusion of depth - almost like it is a model or something the way the legs are coming out from the wall. I think, though, that what I like about it is that it fills my heart with emotion and my mind with a story.

I also liked the last one. To me, I think of PC gaming when I see this. Once of my favourite PC Games was a game created by Dreamworks Interactive called "Neverhood". Your style of drawing would really lend itself to something like that.

All in all, despite the photo quality, excellent work. I really enjoyed the ones I mentioned. I think I did catch the symbolism, by the way.

Hugs, Didi
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Craig, I am assuming that you didn't dip the legs on that table, right? What did you use to strip it? I love the way the legs turned out. It maintained the integrity of the age of the piece. When I do chairs, I will often leave the 'worn' parts on the seats; of course depending upon my market. Some people prefer the brand new look, I prefer one that screams out history. :)

I will try to take a good enough photo to post what will be my next project in that venue.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Craig, I am assuming that you didn't dip the legs on that table, right? What did you use to strip it? I love the way the legs turned out. It maintained the integrity of the age of the piece. When I do chairs, I will often leave the 'worn' parts on the seats; of course depending upon my market. Some people prefer the brand new look, I prefer one that screams out history. :)

I will try to take a good enough photo to post what will be my next project in that venue.

Hugs, Didi
    I'll be back later tonight. Much things to say. Got to go and continue my painting... And, get ready for the gig in Union, IL tomorrow. Later...
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    great work on the table! can barely believe its the same one, the end result is so kewl.
    well, i went thru my sketchpad, the photos aint very good quality, and they aint my best ever drawings, but meh
    ones a pastel drawing i did on the front of the pad ("a place where i can die")
    the other 2 images are the top and bottom halves of a finetip pen drawing called "1#"
    (in that series of drawings i just gave them numbers instead of titles)
    if u like that drawing ill show u guys the rest of the series, its all got a common theme of the mannikins and other stuff :) later i mite do better quality versions of those coz im not too happy with the quality of my drawing in that series :s

Cal, "Resignation" is the best word I can think of to describe "A place where I can die". Use of colors were great for the subject matter and the emotions the piece draws from this viewer are all too familiar.
    The other series was interesting. Upon first viewing, I have to admit, I was a little confused. I went back and viewed this several times. What kept leaping out to me but I didn't quite connect with was the absence of faces. The more I looked at it, the more insight came. The series is one I have many questions about. I won't be able to PM this evening but will later as I have questions about the series! Keep posting. Last night was fun!
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 08:32 PM
    A small drop-leaf table restored for a customer, that was in horrible shape before restoration! These are before and after pictures below.
    Clough!! I am so glad you shared the "Before" photograph as well as the "After". How long does a project like this take to complete? The table is beautiful. You did a terrific job on it. I am anxious to see more of your work. Don't know why you waited so long to post this?? There is definitely an art to refinishing furniture. Do you do this outside or in a well-ventilated area inside? I am also looking forward to reading more about the musical instruments and the history behind them. :) I hope you will post some photographs of the Thumb Pianos you make. Did you take photos of any of them? They are certainly great conversation pieces and almost impossible to pass up without picking one up and playing it. ;) :) :p
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 08:40 PM
    The process sounds interesting.
    I still think the work was beautiful.
    I will try to design some things and post them here, you give me your feedback on how difficult or easy it would be to build one,ok?
    I like to design practical space saver furniture for small spaces because most furniture stores carry furniture for huge spaces.
    I hope you have some more of your restoration work to show us.:)

Hey there FB!! I didn't know you liked to design furniture! If you have time sometime, I would love to see photos or sketches of your designs. It seems everyone who posts has many areas of talent. I just keep being delightfully surprised as I learn more about you and each of the artists on this thread. :)
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Okay, I took an hour or so tonight to try my first ever (and truly, I mean EVER) pencil sketch. I don't think I have enough skill or patience for it, but it was fun to try and I am fairly pleased with the results. Please don't laugh!!! :D

I would be interested in hearing any tips for improvement. I know that I didn't quite get the perspective right on the body and I probably didn't take enough time to do a decent background, but I just didn't feel anything I could do would do it justice.

Here you go! You asked for it! :)

Hugs, Didi

I think its beautiful. Elephants are one of my favorite animals. Great job for a first time sketch most definitely!
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    I think its beautiful. Elephants are one of my favorite animals. Great job for a first time sketch most definitely!!
    I am glad that you have returned, erlobenauer! :) I hope that you might post more examples of your work!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search