Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sportzislifesarah92 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Freashman at high school
    Well there are a couple of things...

1. what should I wear to the first day of school?

2. I'm just starting hs and ik a lot of people. But I've never gone to school w/ any of the kids going there. Some are nice and some are different. I like all the kids I know which is pretty much all the girls [i play sports w/ them] but I don't think I'm going to fit in w/ any of the groups that ik already and the ones I don't know I'm afraid will be like "the burn outs" and I want to hang out w/ nice cool people. The ones ik are either sporty. Sluty or super girly. Or like rock all black clothe people. Ik I'm being really really really judgemental but I donno its hard. [i don't have anything against people like this I just don't know if I'm going to fit in anywhere because I'm like all of them just not 100% anywhere] [the sporty ones are cool but not very nice] [girly ones are all right but there sooooo focused on boys and are kind of sluty] [the rock black clothes people are cool but I don't really like rock and I like pink and colors and not the rock type] OK once again ik I sound reallllllllly mean but I'm just scared. Its not like these people aren't nice and all but I don't think I'll fit in anywhere cause everyone already has there groups and I want to be friends w/ these people just it won't work if I'm friends w/ everyone. And I don't really want them as best friends. I donno its hard to explain. What do you suggest!?

3. I'm sort of on the bigger side. I don't want to get made fun off cause I want hs to be fun. Do you think I'll get made fun off a lot? Should I lose weight? I've tried losing but its really hard. I play sports and exercise a lot. But eat bad I guess cause I never lose. What should I do? And will people say things to me??
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
    3. I'm sort of on the bigger side. I don't want to get made fun off cause I want hs to be fun. Do you think I'll get made fun off a lot? Should I lose weight? I've tried losing but its really hard. I play sports and exercise a lot. But eat bad I guess cause I never lose. What should I do? And will people say things to me??
    First of all, dress conservative, dark colour if you want to look slimmer. I think you are fine, and be confident! Be yourself!
    It's hard to say, most people in HS are still kids, very immature. Not their fault so don't hate them if they do make fun of you. They make fun of everything, as much as they can sometimes. If they do make fun of you, be assertive and learn to deal with them .Don't let them walk over you!

I tell you the first time they make fun of you, you need to try your best to stop them!

It's a learning experience, everything that happens is a good thing for you. U'll grow more stronger than you think. And as I always tell others "The things that don't kill you will make you stronger!".

P.S. focus on study and make some real friends.
    :D If you have any math hw questions let me know. :D

Aug 13, 2007, 08:59 PM
    :] I will deffinatly hit you up for help on math... its my worst subject. Thanks for the help!
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Aug 14, 2007, 08:52 AM
    When I was in High School, I hung out with all different kinds of people, the athletes, the burn outs, the cheerleaders, and the smart ones. I didn't label myself as anyone of them and I maintained friendships with all of them. I didn't have to be a burn out because my friend was and I didn't have to be as smart as some of the people I hung out with.
    You have sports to look forward to and those people involved as a base to make friends with. You cannot control if people make fun of you, but you can control how you respond to it and how you let it affect you. You are strong and you should be confident in yourself. That is what appeals to people the most. Not cocky, but confident. Keep a smile on your face, try to help those that are struggline and need advice, do well in sports and it will fall into place. HS can be scary and challenging, but these people will not matter to you in five years. So put it into perspective, what they think of you doesn't matter, but what you think of you absolutely does. Good Luck
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 14, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Stop stressing buddy!

Get in there and rock it, ahhhhhh all those pretty girls in your classes, it'll be a blast, TRUST

Aug 14, 2007, 09:03 AM
    I think SARAH is a girl, does she get the same advice??

Aug 14, 2007, 09:11 AM
    LOL... a girl, same advice,

NO! Study hard and be polite:) Guys are pigs, just look at my previouspost LOL
    bebo1 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I was really nervous on my first day too but remember just be yourself and people will gravitate towards you :D

p.s wear darker colors they'll make you look slimmer also try to find a fit that complaments your shape good luck!

Aug 15, 2007, 02:57 PM
    LOL thanks BMI and thanks everyone else. I think I'm going to be OK because I just made the volleyball team and everyone is really nice and there all from different groups! And yea I will have to be strong and everything but being nice and just being myself I think it'll be all right. Plus I can kick my into shape w/ volleyball!! =]

Aug 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Volleyball, well right there you are on the a-list of guys at school. Seriously, volleyball teams are killer, guys ALWAYS look for the volleyball girls:) Popularity is assured, say like guys on a football team... no worries... but seriously... stay away from them (heheh)

Aug 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Congrats Sarah, that is well deserved. You didn't need to worry after all. You must be talented to have made the team. What a great way to start the year! I find the less you worry and focus on guys, the more interesting you become.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:10 AM
    I find the less you worry and focus on guys, the more interesting you become.
    That's me:)
    Paigiebaby Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sportzislifesarah92
    well there are a couple of things......

1. what should i wear to the first day of school?

2. i'm just starting hs and ik a lot of people. but i've never gone to school w/ any of the kids going there. some are nice and some r different. i like all the kids i know which is pretty much all the girls [i play sports w/ them] but i don't think i'm going to fit in w/ any of the groups that ik already and the ones i don't know i'm afraid will be like "the burn outs" and i wanna hang out w/ nice cool ppl. the ones ik r either sporty. sluty or super girly. or like rock all black clothe ppl. ik i'm being really really really judgemental but i donno its hard. [i don't have anything against ppl like this i just don't know if i'm going to fit in anywhere because i'm like all of them just not 100% anywhere] [the sporty ones r cool but not very nice] [girly ones r alright but there sooooo focused on boys and r kinda sluty] [the rock black clothes ppl r cool but i don't really like rock and i like pink and colors and not the rock type] ok once again ik i sound reallllllllly mean but i'm just scared. its not like these people aren't nice and all but i don't think i'll fit in anywhere cause everyone already has there groups and i wanna be friends w/ these people just it won't work if i'm friends w/ everyone. and i don't really want them as bff. i donno its hard to explain. what do you suggest!??

3. i'm sorta on the bigger side. i don't wanna get made fun off cause i want hs to be fun. do you think i'll get made fun off a lot? should i lose weight?! i've tried losing but its really hard. i play sports and exercise alot. but eat bad i guess cause i never lose. what should i do? and will ppl say things to me???
    My advice is just be yourself and don't worry everybody goes through that There first year of high school
    lydiagr Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sportzislifesarah92
    well there are a couple of things......

1. what should i wear to the first day of school?

2. i'm just starting hs and ik a lot of people. but i've never gone to school w/ any of the kids going there. some are nice and some r different. i like all the kids i know which is pretty much all the girls [i play sports w/ them] but i don't think i'm going to fit in w/ any of the groups that ik already and the ones i don't know i'm afraid will be like "the burn outs" and i wanna hang out w/ nice cool ppl. the ones ik r either sporty. sluty or super girly. or like rock all black clothe ppl. ik i'm being really really really judgemental but i donno its hard. [i don't have anything against ppl like this i just don't know if i'm going to fit in anywhere because i'm like all of them just not 100% anywhere] [the sporty ones r cool but not very nice] [girly ones r alright but there sooooo focused on boys and r kinda sluty] [the rock black clothes ppl r cool but i don't really like rock and i like pink and colors and not the rock type] ok once again ik i sound reallllllllly mean but i'm just scared. its not like these people aren't nice and all but i don't think i'll fit in anywhere cause everyone already has there groups and i wanna be friends w/ these people just it won't work if i'm friends w/ everyone. and i don't really want them as bff. i donno its hard to explain. what do you suggest!??

3. i'm sorta on the bigger side. i don't wanna get made fun off cause i want hs to be fun. do you think i'll get made fun off a lot? should i lose weight?! i've tried losing but its really hard. i play sports and exercise alot. but eat bad i guess cause i never lose. what should i do? and will ppl say things to me???
    For what to wear, I'd say some nice dark semi flared jeans with ballet flats or flip flops and a cute top. Don't forget the jewelry.
    You will find your own group in the crowd, and it most likely not be any of the kinds of groups you were talking about, "sluts, burn outs, etc." I found my group and we are just a bunch of fun loving smart partiers that don't do anything stupid like drugs, and when we do drink it's only around close friend we can trust in a secure area and none of us drive. The girls are pretty and the guys are hot, we all love rock, and loud cars with lots of engine, lol. We don't go to crazy parties where there are people we don't know and smoking. We are a very close group of about 10 or 11 people, everyone knows everyone very well.
    You'll find who you belong with, don't worry. The main thing is to not forget yourself when you go into high school, be nice to EVERYONE (it pays off I promise) and do NOT smoke or do any type of drugs. They will mess you up and my now best friend almost died because of drugs, and my cousin is brain-dead. No matter what kind, they can mess you up. Just tell people you don't do any drugs and be proud of it.
    Be confident and laugh a lot. Have fun and do your schoolwork (you want your gpa to be high when you apply for colleges). Don't get mixed in with the wrong crowd and be yourself!

About being heavier, people are much less judgmental about that in high school than in middle school. You probably won't hear it at all from anyone that is a sophomore or above. But if you want to lose weight, (I did my freshman year) first cut out regular sodas. Drink water and diet sodas (they're just as good with no calories) , and if you like tea switch from sugar to sweetener. I lost 12 pounds just by doing that my freshman year. The you can slowly make some changes in your eating habits.

I have to warn you, you'll hear a lot about being a "stupid freshman" and getting called names simply by what year you are born. The best advice, coming from a senior in hs, be respectful and don't say anything like "Go class of 11!" That will just make seniors and everyone above you mad. Just be respectful and try not to get in their way. The reason seniors don't like freshmen is because they think they are immature. So just try not to come off as immature.

That's the best idea I can give you.

Aug 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Thanks everyone! It was all very good advice! I think I just worry too much and need to remember I'm not the only one who's going though this. And I got to remember to shut up when it comes to being a feshie. Like me and a couple of friends were walking down the street and some guys passed who were older and they were swearing then one was like guys shut up there only like 12 and me being the stupid big mouth was like thanks but I'm 14 and that just made them laugh and make fun of me. My brother's a sr. too and that works to my advantage because ik sooo many sr. from him but I got to remember that its not going to always save me. Just be nice and respectful. Thanks again! You guys are really helpful!

PS. Now that I'm on the volleyball team I'm super worried about getting into the wrong crowd and going to the wrong parties where there's drinking and people taking pictures of me and me getting busted. [not for drinking cause I don't do that but just for being there] anyone have advice for that. [my brother once got busted and my parents were so pissed... it was homecoming night and he wasn't drinking but he was at the party were there was beer and stuff. Someone took a picture and he was off the team] when do ik that a party is a drinking party. Who should I trust?

Aug 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Most parties are drinking parties. As for the right crowd, you know that yourself, if you keep away from silly things like poularity contests and all that then you will find the right crowd. If your not sure about the party play it safe and don't go, if you do go with a lot of your non-drinking friends, that way you'll feel safer... and man have some fun too, no need to stress:)
    lydiagr Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Aug 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I agree. Most parties are drinking parties. If you want to know if it is or not, ask the person that invited you if there will be any parents there or any drinking. (If you feel stupid about having to say no, just use the excuse "My parents check up on me ALL the time. I don't know how, but they find out EVERYTHING!" That way you won't end up feeling like an outcast, and you don't end up going to any bad parties either! I've used that line so many times... and some people try to be persistent and you just have to keep saying "I'm telling you, they always find out.")

That's probably your best bet to stay out of trouble. If you don't put yourself in a position where you could get yourself in trouble, you won't get in trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Low Cost high school Diploma? [ 1 Answers ]

Im trying to trun my life around and part of the process is getting my high school diploma... is there any schools that provide accredited high school diplomas at lower costs than 200 dollars or more?:confused:

Continue high school or just get a GED [ 3 Answers ]

We live in New York. My son is going to be 18 this July. He is somewhat still a Freshman in high school.(or barely Sophomore) due to his credits. He repeated 5th grade. He failed classes Freshman year of high school. (as to why he was lacking credits) He always had to go to summer schools. I...

Major high school headache [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so here's the thing, I'm starting high school in a few months I mean I'm already finishing eighth grade, but the thing is, my mom put me in a school I DESPISE for eighth grade an dits a high school also, she says she's keeping me in it for good.. well until I graduate 12. What in the world do...

View more questions Search