Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shemshem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
    How do I garnish someone's wages?
    I won a judgement from an individual (whom won't pay). How do I start the process of garnishing his wages?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Go back to the court and ask them to issue an order of garnishment. You will need the debtor's employer and full address. You may also need their SSN. The court will then issue the order that you have served on the employer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Hello shem:

After you get the order, and if you know where he works and possibly banks, there probably are constables or sheriff deputy's available right there at the courthouse who will do the serving for you.

His employer will likely be a bit more intimidated by a big guy in uniform with a gun, than he will by you.

excon
    rh20k9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
    The answers given to you are correct. But, you can also use your local constable to seize any other assets he owns... car (if not leased), bank account funds, boat, aircraft, wages, etc.

First I would suggest you do a thorough search to see what assets he has... then get the order for garnishments. But, do some leg work.

It sounds horrible... but identity thieves do it because it works... steal the garbage... if he doesn't shred you can find out where he works and where he banks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rh20k9
    The answers given to you are correct. But, you can also use your local constable to seize any other assets he owns... car (if not leased), bank account funds, boat, aircraft, wages, etc.

First I would suggest you do a thorough search to see what assets he has... then get the order for garnishments. But, do some leg work.
    That's not quite accurate. Many things are exempt from seizure for unsecured debt. You need to check the rules in your area.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin59 View Post
    What if he lives in another state?
    You generally have a choice. Sue him in your state or in his state. If you sue him in your state, you register the judgment with the court where he is. In either case, then you attempt to collect where he has assets.

Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... If the offense took place in HIS town, or on the internet, then it's harder still.
    Offense? We don't know that he committed a crime. He owes money to OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can legally garnish your wages? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to know who has the right to legally garnish your wages? If you purchase a vehicle and have to turn it in due to not being able to pay for it can they garnish your wages? Also if you were in the National Guard and you received pay after you were deployed but were sent back due to...

How do I garnish wages in Georgia? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord that won an eviction and judgement against my tenent. The tenent has not paid the judgement. Also I do not know where they live or work. What can I do to garnish their wages?

Maryland Judgement - How do I garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maryland Court Judgement against an individual, I have found where he works, how can I garnish his wages, without incurring in a big cost? Please help,

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

Find someone's past years wages [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyway for someone to find out someone else's past years wages?

View more questions Search