Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Graduation announcements - no ceremony?
    I am graduating from college this week and my husband and mother both suggested that I send out announcements. I was unsure about this because I am not walking, so there is no ceremony, and there is no party. Is it really necessary to send out announcements? I mean, I want to let my family and friends know my happy news, but I don't want them to think I am soliciting gifts - I am NOT! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:36 AM
    To me that would just sound like your soliciting for gifts, but that's just me. Why aren't you walking? I didn't understand this part. If you can't attend the official school ceremony why not have a party at your home?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
    I thought it would seem that way as well, but my mother especially is pressing me to send out an announcement... I just don't feel comfortable doing that.

Lol. I go to a school that has graduation once a year (spring), no matter what semester you graduate from. I didn't attend the graduation because I still had 3 classes left to complete this summer... I complete the last class tomorrow. But I am nearly 25 with a family and a full time job, and wasn't all that interesting in the actual commencement. We just didn't think to plan a party I guess...
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Maybe your mom could send out the announcements... you know something like "Alkalineangel has made the family so proud by completed her college degree. We were so excited we just had to share the joy with everyone"

That way it seems like a harmless family announcement and not necessarily you asking for gifts or having something awkward.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:50 AM
    If you don't want to look like you are soliciting gifts, then don't send out announcements. I didn't want to send out HS graduation announcements, but my mother physically bought them and sent them out for me. I was mad because I hate looking greedy, and people actually sent me stuff.

Just tell your mom that graduating is your business and there's no need for anyone else to know. If anything, you could just send some to CLOSE family. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:51 AM
    I really think that is the reason behind her pushing anyway. She never went to college, so it is a big deal to her. I just wasn't sure how to handle it all.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    If you dont want to look like you are soliciting gifts, then dont send out announcements. I didnt want to send out HS graduation announcements, but my mother physically bought them and sent them out for me. I was mad because I hate looking greedy, and people actually sent me stuff.

Just tell your mom that graduating is your business and there's no need for anyone else to know. If anything, you could just send some to CLOSE family. :)
    Ugh. My mom did this too when I graduated high school... It just seems silly to me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    ugh. my mom did this too when i graduated highschool...It just seems silly to me.
    Me too. I mean okay, yay, I graduated high school. Most people do, I don't see a reason to raise a fuss about it. College is different though, it really is an achievement.

By the way, CONGRATS!! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Me too. I mean okay, yay, i graduated high school. Most people do, i dont see a reason to raise a fuss about it. College is different though, it really is an achievement.

By the way, CONGRATS!!! :)
    Thank you :) I am excited. It has been a long hard road.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    thank you :) I am excited. it has been a long hard road.
    I tried college but it wasn't for me. So I joined the Navy, and that wasn't for me either. I guess being a mom and housewife is for me.. lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 11:46 AM
    I wish I could do that sometimes... rather than work... I miss my son.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 11:51 AM
    I wish I worked, although I know I would miss my kids if I did
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Alka... maybe if she's THAT dead set on it, you could do something of a cheap announcement, rather than the pretty ones people send out when they're almost soliciting gifts.

Print up a one-page thing on the computer, that basically says:

For all of you who have supported her with help and thoughts and encouragement, AlkalineAngel has graduated on August 10th with her Bachelors Degree in Marketing (or whatever).

We just thought you'd like to hear the great news!

PS--While a call saying congrats would be welcomed, no gifts are necessary. We are just sharing our happiness with those who matter the most to us

Or something along those lines. Keep it really informal, and people won't think twice about it other than to maybe call you and say congrats!

(Congrats from Synnen, though)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 31, 2007, 12:04 PM
    By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

Be proud of yourself... maybe let them throw a party. I regret not having one when my hubby and I graduated college together. We only asked 5 people to come to the ceremony.. now I wish we'd have done more. Let your mom make a fuss ;)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Congratulations Al!

I didn't walk, either. I completed in December and the ceremony was the following June. I just couldn't see having all the fuss and extra expense. I just wanted the diploma.

My student loan payment booklet showed up before the diploma, doncha know.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Congrats to you too! I figure mine will work the same way... I already received my letter telling me that my student loan repayment schedule would begin in February... lol... God knows when the diploma will come. That's all I really want too...

Thanks for all the well wishes!
    ultrafilmland1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
    You could also just do an announcement that says what's going on. Then have a section where you tell about a family dinner to celebrate. Then at the bottom put "no gifts please" that's what I am doing.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 01:10 PM

I think the announcements should come from your parents. If they want to have a party for you, let them do that, too. It's a huge accomplishment to graduate, or see your child through to graduation, and should be celebrated. If you get gifts for it, great - you deserve the acknowledgement! Don't worry - those people sending gifts to you? Your parents have been sending gifts to them and their children for years... believe me!
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 18, 2009, 04:18 PM

If you don't want to make a fuss, then there should be no fuss. There are probably a very few number of people that you REALLY care about knowing your news. The inner most circle. Let them know in your own way.

All the formality of announcements, cards, gifts, etc. is not for me either. My daughter graduated high school in 2006. She did not want to take part in the ceremony or send out announcements. The same for my son who is graduating this year. I guess it's just that anyone we care about knowing, already knows. Anyone outside that circle, doesn't really matter.

By the way. It takes nothing away from the pride you should feel for your own accomplishment and to share the joy with those closest to you. I say, good work!!
    MissusBurns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
    My daughter is graduating high school and has chosen not to walk... we are making and sending out announcements, because high school or college, graduating is an accomplishment. This is her way of letting friends and family know.. she has completed this milestone in her life, and did it with achievement (She received numerous awards this year) I am sure if you look around, you could find appropriate wording just to convey that you are proud to share the news, however, no gifts are necessary... or even suggest that in lieu of gifts, a donation to a local charity could be made (We are suggesting that any donations be made towards the local humane society.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planning a wedding ceremony... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! :) I'm planning a secular wedding ceremony... Does anyone have any good ideas for readings/poetry, or 'rites'/ceremonious acts that we could incorporate? I've thought about doing a hand-binding ceremony, including some music and poetry - though nothing is totally fixed yet, and...

Getting married before having the ceremony. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My fiancé and I want to know what decision is wise. Should we get married, and then have are ceremony when we can afford to? Or Should we just wait to get married and save until we can afford to have the ceremony?:confused:

Graduation Announcements - High School [ 1 Answers ]

Who is actually sending out the announcements? The graduate or the parents of the graduate?

Second Wedding Ceremony [ 8 Answers ]

My husband is in the military. We have been together for a little over 5 years, but only married (this month will be) 9 months. We planned on getting married when he graduated basic training. He told me that he wasn't going to be able to come home before going off to his first duty station. I was...

View more questions Search