Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwagg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 06:08 PM
    GFI Tripping Under Small Load
    Hi All,

I have a GFI that keeps tripping under a light load (Treadmill running).

It is a 20A circuit.

The wiring was done by me. This is the only room that is giving me fits!

All grounds are connected securely.

Any ideas out there?? :confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Could be the treadmill, replacing will determine faulty gfi. If new gfi does same thing, follow wiring through treadmill and determine ground connection with hot.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:42 AM
    Most of the treadmills I know draw quite a bit of current, and need their own 20 amp circuit. If there is anything else running on the circuit, it may overload the breaker and trip.

The treadmill belt may be adjusted to tight causing the motor to draw more current that normal.

There could be a ground fault in the treadmill that is tripping the GFI.

Or the breaker may be defective.

Jul 9, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Thanks for the responses.

What I can't figure out is that if the treadmill is plugged into a different GFI protected circuit, it doesn't pop the GFI.

Anyway,

Thanks again for the input.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Seems to narrow it down to a defective GFI breaker.

Jul 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
    One would think so. So that's exactly what I did... replace the GFI... same result.

I think I will try plugging something different in and see what the result is.

Thanks again TK
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Weird, the unit works fine in another GFI protected outlet, and still trip in the original outlet with a new GFI breaker. Perhaps there is something damaged inside the outlet you want to use that only shows up when something is plugged into it.

Before you replace the outlet, check to be sure the bare wire inside the outlet box is not touching the neutral, sometimes that causes nuisance tripping when the outlet is used.

Jul 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Plugged my guitar amp in and nothing happened. This would indicate a problem with the treadmill, but... it doesn't pop any other GFIs.

I am truly stumped.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Try changing the outlet anyway. An amp is very low power draw.

Jul 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Will do.

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Also, verify, Hot on dark screw, line, Have no wires on load, if protecting treadmill and
    Something else, the leak to ground could be total of 2 items?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside GFI keeps tripping - Dusk to dawn switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a front yard light pole and the sun sensor broke which the light always stayed on. Finally we had a new sensor installed and now the light doesn't go on. Our outside GFI keeps tripping. Reset button on top which is pushed out and when I push it in the light flicks on but the button pops...

The breakup tripping me out [ 10 Answers ]

well I'm going to try to make this brief I dated my ex girlfriend for 4 months I really love her a lot its been a month after the breakup I can't seem to get over it. she broke up with me.. for what reason? Because out of the blue she just Doesn't LOVE ME ANYMORE and she was the one that...

Tripping circuit [ 1 Answers ]

A circuit has been tripping for the last couple of days. It is the circuit in my garage (that also feeds the water sprinkler). For years I had no problem, AND THERE ARE NO NEW ADDITIONAL ITEMS PLUGGED IN THAT CIRCUIT. We have noticed "trip" when the sprinkler goes to "zone 2" of the back yard...

Tripping the tub [ 1 Answers ]

I wired in the tub it runs for 10 minutes. With heater on then it trips the breaker outside. The tub is in the house I have a 50 amp gfi inside and a 50 amp outside in the box. It doesn't seem to do it when just the jets are running did I wire it backwards if so how can I check? Can anyone help...

Gfic keeps tripping [ 1 Answers ]

Gfic keeps tripping ? The wiring sequence is from the box to the gfic to an oulet to a switch to light fixture #1 to light fixture # 2 using 12/2 with ground. Thanks jimk49

View more questions Search