Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 09:43 AM
    How to get rid of dog odor from house?
    Hello. Okay, I have been on vacation for the last 3 weeks. We had our neighbor taking care of our dog. We left him in our basement because he isn't trustworthy in the house alone. There is plenty of space down there and it stays cooler. Anyway - our neighbors have told us that he was let out a lot and was taken care of. When I got home and opened my basement door the smell about knocked me over. It smells of pee and poop.
    He pooped in one of the rooms and probably peed every where.
    My question is how do I get the smell out? It seems like it has soaked into the concrete floor. I have sprayed lysol down where it was soiled - but it still is awful! We have left the door open with fans going hoping to air it out. Granted it has only been a day - but it really stinks!
    What can I do?
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 7, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Try a product called Odaban.It is sold at Walmart,and by the gallon at Sam's wholesale Club.We used this product at the animal hospital I worked at.It also kills germs,and is inexpensive.We use it at home on a daily basis,I love it.:D
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Thanks a lot. We got back yesterday evening and I cleaned up today. From now on we are going to use a kennel. By the amount of stuff I picked up - there is no way our "friends" were letting him out like he should have been - or like they said they were. I feel so bad for him. There were things torn up down there and I can not really get mad at him because I know that he was bored.
    But, anyway...
    I will try this and hope it works.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 8, 2007, 04:09 AM
    Good idea,some vets have kennels at their hospitals.I would enjoy my trip more,knowing the pets were being cared for.There are also people who come to your house(pettsitters),that you may trust.Get reference check.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Well, I went to Wal-mart yesterday and got this stuff. I have to say that I was shocked at how well it worked! I have been using lysol anytime he would have an accident and it really only worked for about a minute and then the smell would be back. I sprayed this stuff all through the basement - fans going and the doors open - and the smell is gone. Thank you so much!

We actually have a kennel that we have used in the past - this time since we were planning to be gone for 3 weeks, I couldn't really afford the kennel - but, after this - I will make sure to put back the extra $ to KNOW he is being taken care of. It speaks volumes that my husband, who doesn't really like the dog, felt sorry for him. He couldn't get mad at what the dog did because he KNEW that dog wasn't getting the care that he should have. Now we know and won't make that mistake again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 05:20 PM
    If you leave your dog in the care of somebody, you really need to choose the right ones. We were very happy to find the right people to leave our 7 week old with last fall for a weekend.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
    I know. We left him with these people before and never had a problem. I don't know what happened this time. If they are secretly angry with us and took it out on our dog. Who knows. But, I have learned my lesson. It will be the kennel from now on.
    dr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 12:27 PM

Hi.. the only product I can find called Odaban is an antiperspirant.. is this the product you guys are suggesting to get rid of pet odors?
    The official site of Odaban - Antiperspirant to stop underarm sweating, facial perspiration & wet palms.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 13, 2009, 07:45 PM

Try Odoban, I'm pretty sure that is the correct spelling. Welcome to the AMHD site. In the future start a new question, this one is really old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Under house odor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong odor coming from the crawl space (about 18" high) under the house. It is acrid and earthy; strong and unpleasant. We have tested air for mold-no unusual problem. Made a french drain about 20 years ago around half of the house, still dampness in that half, but not wet or standing...

My house is haunted, can I know hw to get rid of the spirit [ 38 Answers ]

Hi, Mine is a joint family and we live in a duplex. The house which we live in is being haunted from many years.The spirit that dwells in my house marks its presence by noises, for example: sound of footsteps on the staircase, jingling of keys, banging on the window, knocking on door etc, all...

House Trap Odor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a horrible odor coming from the house trap. What could be the cause and what Can I do to correct it? Thank you for any suggestions.

How to get rid of the sewege odor in the crawl space [ 1 Answers ]

Recently there was a backup under the house. All of the sewage is out now how do you get rid of the smell?

House odor -not plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was an older home that was gutted and rebuilt last year. The only original part is the basement. This week we notices a "garbage-type" odor coming from a downstairs open area that connects the kitchen, living room, entrance to basement (no odor or water leaks in basement), and entrance to...

View more questions Search