Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melody8864 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
    How Much Do I have to Pay of My Medical Bills each Month
    Hi, I have been told that if I am struggling to pay off medical bills all I need to do is send them something each month and there is no repercussion with the courts, i.e. they can't sue, garnish, etc. as long as I am sending them something. Is this true? Thank you.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
    I had a friend go through this problem. She couldn't pay her medical bills and they got sent to collections. What she did was call the collections agency and they set up a minimum monthly payment for her to send in. You can try that :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Yes, It is my opinion that this is true. I also heard that if you send them money and they return it then your debt is paid in full . But I think you would have to save the envelope From them to prove that you actually sent it or always send them certified!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Keep in mind, if you let it go to collections it will show on your credit report. Try to send something every month , even if it is just $5.00 Good luck
    mandie15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Wow. I can't believe that some people would just post things on here they "think" are true without even researching it. I work for an attorney's office that handles medical collections. First of all, the law states that medical bills are due in full on the date of service. Any payment plan that the provider or any other agency sets you up on is strictly courtesy. They do not have to do so. Secondly, if your account goes into collections, that agency can determine your minimum payment plan. If you do no meet that minimum and are gainfully employed, then yes, they can by law file suit. Most agencies and attorneys will not do so as long as you are paying some amount of money, even $1 on time every month, but the minute you are 15 days late with your payment, suit will be filed and garnishment of your wages will follow. Don't mess around with not paying medical bills. Doctors, nurses, and other staff depend on payments for their services. Also, in the long run, we are all paying dearly for others lack of responsibility when it comes to paying your medical bills. Ever wonder why one aspirin can cost around $5 at the hospital? Think about it!
    m_rob611 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Lack of responsibility? What a load of . I recently lost my job and healthcare ins. I was admitted into the hospital for one night for tests and examination by different doctors... all to rule out one possible cause for my symptoms. The total cost was over $20,000 dollars for less than 24 hrs.

Now someone like you comes along and talks about people's lack of responsibility in not paying their bills. Are you nuts. How the ef can an average person afford that? We, in this country pay two to three times the cost of what people in other countries pay for car. A recent Harvard study says that he reason for this is that doctors and hospitals in this country just charge more.

Now, add to the above expenses, additional tests and procedures that I'm supposed to have done that will cost an additional five thousand dollars. So, I'm going to drain my savings for one night in the hospital, ruin my credit... which was over 800, the last I knew... and some simp like you talks about being irresponsible. Jerk off.
    NotSure20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
    They will not come and sue or garnish your wages. I am 20 and I have more medical bills than almost anyone twice my age. You can pay $1 each month and it will be just fine. It will show up on your credit that you are making payments and it will look good on your behalf.

Hope this is helpful
    Patricia1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Why do they have to charge so much. If they had decent prices many people would not fall behind. The fleecing of America is America... They took an oath to help the sick, not to take their retirement...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical bills trouble [ 18 Answers ]

I have 32,000 in medical bills and now way to pay them off I can barely afford to feed my kids let alone these medical bills I have the title to one car and nothing else I just received a summons to appear in court on the 26 of January I already have one garnishment they are taking out of my...

Medical bills [ 15 Answers ]

About a week ago my son was injured when a horseshoe hit him in the nose. He was standing slightly behind me, more on the side of me. We were standing about five feet form the peg in the ground, on the receiving end. His grandfather was the throwee and it richoted off the peg and around me and...

Medical bills [ 4 Answers ]

Can A Collection Agency Sue Me For Medical Bills If It Is Already On My Credit Report?

Medical Bills and 401k [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is getting ready to retire and she has some unpaid medical bills that she actually thought were paid until recently. She has a 401k which is not very much through her employer. Will they take her 401k?

Medical bills across marriage boundries [ 6 Answers ]

Hello: I have been stewing over this question for about a year now, I have ask about everyone out here in the real world, and have gotten all sorts of answers. On this forum, there seem to be some knowleglable people who have been through stuff like this before, so let me throw the question out...

View more questions Search