Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawcy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Toilet DOES NOT FLUSH- takes 2 or 3 times!
    Help!! I live in an apt. built in the 70's and my toilet has not properly flushed since I moved in. They have been out to "Snake It" but that didn't work. I think it just may be too old and needs to be replaced. Is there any plumbers out there that can tell me if I need to have management replace it?? Thank you and hope to hear from an expert soon.

D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
    How far into the toilet did they snake, just the 3-4 feet that comes with a closet auger? They may need to pull the toilet and go farther since it may be their drain and not your toilet. Keep complaining because they are required to maintain your drains, its isn't just an option for them. How to Unclog a Toilet Fixture-Use the Toilet Auger or Closet Auger (stubborn clogs)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 4, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawcy
    Help!!! I live in an apt. built in the 70's and my toilet has not properly flushed since I moved in. They have been out to "Snake It" but that didn't work. I think it just may be too old and needs to be replaced. Is there any plumbers out there that can tell me if I need to have management replace it??? Thank you and hope to hear from an expert soon.

D
    I have several solutions for you to check before you go through the hassle and expense of replacing the toilet.
    Try this first

I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together.

If the toilet has never flushed properly here's another one.
    In my capacity as shop trouble shooter I began to run into a slew of complaints on our new construction that were just like yours. I knew they all couldn't be " bad toilets" so I went looking for the cause. I found that when installing the new bowl that the wax ring had been forced out into the discharge pipe and blocking the free flow of water. When the water hit it a backpressure was set up preventing the siphon that makes a good flush and the solids just swirled around while the water went slowly down. I had to set up meeting with our plumbers and show them the problem and how to fix it. When you set the bowl, put the wax seal down on the flat side to the closet flange. Then take your hands and bevel the wax seal outward so that when you set a bowl on it the wax is forced out instead of in blocking the flush. The customer complaints stopped and I had less work to do. Try molding the wax seal so it doesn't choke down on the flush.
    Good luck and let me know. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Toilet won't flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we have a sloan Flush mate toilet we bought about 2 years ago at first it flushed really good but now you have to flush it two or three times just to get the paper down what do I need to do to fix the Problem? Thanks, ...

New toilet sometimes won't flush [ 3 Answers ]

I have just installed a new toilet / replacement toilet and sometimes it just won't flush. The bowl fills up like it is clogged but it can't be because it is only liquid and no solids in the bowl. When it doesn't flush I notice that if I fill the sink with water and then let it drain out it will...

Toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I flush my toiet cistern, it makes a load groaning noise sounds like there is an airlock. This can be stopped by turning the cold tap on full in the kitchen. How do I stop this problem?? I live in a flat if this makes a difference. Many thanks

3 times to flush toilet HELP please [ 5 Answers ]

It takes me at least 3 times to get my stuff down the toilet. The toilet is 3 years old. I cleaned out the jets and it still does it. I dumped a bucket of water down the toilet and it went right down the toilet. I have a septic system. In the upper part of the toilet there is a bunch of mineral...

View more questions Search