Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flylihop Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 03:09 AM
    Proper weight for a 9 week lab puppy?
    I took her to the vets the other day and the weighing thing said 5.80 or something like that, though I don't know whether that's a normal weight or not! Or even what that was measured in! :S The vet did say she had a lot of puppy fat - if this is the case how does she loose it?
    Comments would be appreciated
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 03:28 AM
    She will loose it in normal activity same as a human baby.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

May 30, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flylihop
    I took her to the vets the other day and the weighing thing said 5.80 or something like that, though i don't know whether thats a normal weight or not! Or even what that was measured in! :S The vet did say she had alot of puppy fat - if this is the case how does she loose it?
    comments would be appreciated
    thanx
    It is not unusual for puppy's to have the chunky, baby fat thing going on. This will rapidly dissapate and turn into the goofy, lanky, legs to long for the body akward puberty stage. As long as you feed your puppy regularly scheduled meals. i.e... 1 to 3 cups per day, and provide her with adequate exercise and mental stimulation.. she will be fine.. On problem that I have come to notice in certain breeds, i.e... labs, golden retrievers, is that they have very low food inhibition.. if they have food constantly available they may constantly eat out of boredom, or as mental stimulation.. it would be advisable to create a feeding schedule i.e.. 1 cup 3 times a day etc.. And carry that on changing as appropriate based on age.. adolescent 2 cups twice a day etc.. Also in conjunction with this feeding routing begin to make her wait on her food.. do not immediately provide her instant access to it the moment you put it down.. make her wait 10 seconds, gradually increasing the time as she learns to obey it.. this will help her view you as the alpha in the pack and will accustom her to following your direction and help suppress the development of dominant behaviours toward you

Deleted URL
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 05:10 AM
    It also depends how big the litter was my labs breeder had too litter 2 days apart. 1 letter had 6 pups they were rotund. My dogs litter had 12 pups she was very tiny.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Don't count on the fat going away on its own as suggested above. There are a bunch of poor answers this morning. Many puppies, and it is a common problem in Labs, come from the breeder too fat. Even my Holly, bred by a service dog school, was too fat. I had to restrict her to 1 1/2 cups or less of Iams large breed puppy chow.

If the weight was in kilograms, it might be right for a fat little Lab. I only weigh my puppies to determine the correct dose for medicine. I go by the ribs. You can too, see LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    -

May 30, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Don't count on the fat going away on its own as suggested above. There are a bunch of poor answers this morning. Many puppies, and it is a common problem in Labs, come from the breeder too fat. Even my Holly, bred by a service dog school, was too fat. I had to restrict her to 1 1/2 cups or less of Iams large breed puppy chow.
    If the weight was in kilograms, it might be right for a fat little Lab. I only weigh my puppies to determine the correct dose for medicine. I go by the ribs. You can too, see LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    Never a need to berate the quality of the answers given to help an individual that has an honest question.. let us remember that this is a forum to help provide a wealth of knowledge from a variety of sources concerning pet related questions and issues.. Not a stage for one to promote the self perceived quality of their answers while dissmissing other posts.. As to my qualifications.. I starting training dogs for herding work from 1990 to 93, at which point I began training individual dogs with behavioural isssues in peoples homes.. Joined the Marine Corps in 1995 worked in the training of military working dogs to detect explosive devices, left in 02 and again went to in home training. Opened a Grooming, Training and Dog Daycare Center in Florida in 04 and have a constant influx of clients and dogs on a daily basis, as well am an akc certified good conduct evaluator,APDT, etc,etc,. So there is a wealth of knowledge available to help people with questions that they might have, from all sources.. at times I may be wrong, and at times other may be wrong, and at other times there may just not be a right answer but only educated opinions from individuals that have more experience in the handling of dog related health and behavior iss

Take the hint, knock off the spam
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 09:07 AM
    It does no dog any favor to suggest puppy fat will go away even if it continues to be over fed. An overweight puppy stresses its developing joints. When a breeder overfeeds a litter, distributing excessively heavy puppies, it is very important to let the puppy burn off the fat.

And wow, somebody has seen 2 litters and now can explain the factors involved in the weight of puppies? Back in the early 90's I received several puppies from litters of 9 that were butterballs. The dog guide school now imposes more discipline on the breeding stock host families. Until I got Holly out of a different program, it had been years since I was given such a fat puppy. Even after I had thinned her out a lot, when she was evaluated at 11 weeks, I was told she still had too much belly.
    -

May 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Hence I said provide adequate "excercise", not feed and stuff in crate.. if dog takes in 200 kcal and burns 200, weight stays the same, if dog takes in 400kcal and burns 400kcal weight stays the same, if dog takes in 500kcal and burns six hundred weight go down.. only they owner will be able to judge the gain or loss of fat and will need to adjust the food intake, and exercise accordingly... pawsdogdaycare
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 7, 2007, 05:44 PM
    There are a bunch of poor answers this morning.
    I think I missed those answers, which ones were they? I believe, particularly for those of us here to give advice, that it is incumbent upon us to know which answers are of poor quality. We can then not only correct the poor answer thus not only saving the original poster, but also allowing us to correct and re-educate the poor soul who gave the poor answer. I mean, I know you do your best, but you are only one man. Surely we can be of help here. If you find any of my answers of poor quality, please, let me know and if I can I'll return the favor.

Many puppies, and it is a common problem in Labs, come from the breeder too fat.
    You've done some breeding then? Quite the sweeping statement, but most of the breeders I've met have very strong opinions. Usually about how the other breeder is doing it all wrong. Did you do Field or Confirmation?

Since I don't know puppies, how applicable, really, is that to puppies rather than an adult dog?

Personally, I don't know why someone didn't just tell the original poster to call the vet back and ask them if the puppy was overweight or not.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
    [QUOTE=Topperthedog]I think I missed those answers, which ones were they? I believe, particularly for those of us here to give advice, that it is incumbent upon us to know which answers are of poor quality. We can then not only correct the poor answer thus not only saving the original poster, but also allowing us to correct and re-educate the poor soul who gave the poor answer. I mean, I know you do your best, but you are only one man. Surely we can be of help here. If you find any of my answers of poor quality, please, let me know and if I can I'll return the favor.
    [QUOTE=Topperthedog]

Everybody has the right here to post what ever they feel like. If you don't think aluminum is a conductor, you can put that in an answer in the electrical forum if you want to. None of the first 3 answers mentioned the importance of controlling the amount of food or even how to determine if the puppy was too fat. The suggestions it would go away itself were quite wrong. Interesting how you are going to crrect bad answers if you can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Topperthedog
    You've done some breeding then? Quite the sweeping statement, but most of the breeders I've met have very strong opinions. Usually about how the other breeder is doing it all wrong. Did you do Field or Confirmation?
    Lord, no I don't breed. You don't need to, to know what to look for. The slaughter at the shelters goes on without my contributions. If you bothered to look at my signature or profile you would know I am doing dog guides. I have watched improvements in the one schools breeding program for 15 years. I hardly ever hear of a dog being rejected for bad hips anymore. I do see many puppies, healthy thin ones from the program, and fat ones from other breeders.

Since I don't know puppies, how applicable, really, is that to puppies rather than an adult dog?
    If you took time to follow the link, you would have seen separate illustrations for both dogs and puppies.

Personally, I don't know why someone didn't just tell the original poster to call the vet back and ask them if the puppy was overweight or not.
    Perhaps they read the original post and felt that was what the vet meant by saying it had a lot of puppy fat. Fat puppies are a big problem. The dog guide school, like others they share information with, breeds 300-400 puppies a year. They follow them closely, checking every puppy monthly, and at the end of the year, X-rays 100% of them. Those with any joint or other physical problems are rejected and given away. How many of your breeder friends ever saw the hip X-rays of a complete litter at a year? When I started 15 years ago, it was fairly common to hear somebody's puppy was rejected for physical problems. As a result of the school constantly trying new things and seeing what works and doesn't, I hardly ever hear of one now. Experience means very little if it is only doing the same thing for 20 years. There is more on the problems of overweight dogs at LongLiveYourDog.com and in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A few questions about a 7 week old lab puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I'm pretty much convinced I have the cutest, best puppy ever. But I have a few questions. Everything I've read says that puppies will defecate in an hour or so after eating. I think my little girl holds hers in for as long as she possibly can because she doesn't go until several hours after...

7 week old lab [ 1 Answers ]

I was just blessed with a new puppy. My question is; can they see past 15 feet at 7 weeks? Are there eyes just not developed yet. Mine appears to not see me when in the grass past 15 feet. Any thoughts?

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

5 week old lab puppy not able to eat food [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old puppy that we are trying to wean. We have tried giving her softened dog food, plain rice and a kibble at a time. Every time she eats a very small amount she throws up. She doesn't do this after she feeds from her mothers milk, only puppy food or rice. Does anyone have any...

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

View more questions Search