Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bauerjab Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 03:30 AM
    Plastic vs metal pipes? - replacement
    I am replacing the 1 1/2" OD thin metal piping underneath my kitchen faucet. It is corroded.

My choices are to replace it with metal or plastic.

Is one better than the other?

Are there advantages/disadvantages of one versus the other.

My intuition tells me to replace it with plastic as this will not corrode like metal.

I am a new house owner and the house is supplied by well water. The house now has a fairly sophisticated water filtering system to remove iron from the iron laden water. Prior to that, I think there was damage done to the plumbing because of the high iron content.

Thanks in advance

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2005, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerjab
    I am replacing the the 1 1/2" OD thin metal piping underneath my kitchen faucet. It is corroded.

My choices are to replace it with metal or plastic.

Is one better than the other?

Are there advantages/disadvantages of one versus the other.

My intuition tells me to replace it with plastic as this will not corrode like metal.

I am a new house owner and the house is supplied by well water. The house now has a fairly sophisticated water filtering system to remove iron from the iron laden water. Prior to that, I think there was damage done to the plumbing because of the high iron content.

thanks in advance

John
    Good morning John,

You are correct when you assume that plastic will out last metal in drainage.
    However, since I'm guessing you have a metal trap that connects to the tailpiece you're replacing I would make sure that the PVC replacement tailpiece will fit in the trap otherwise you may find yourself replacing the trap also. Good luck, Tom
    bauerjab Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 05:02 AM
    Thank you. I also replaced the trap with a plastic one.

In fact, I did all of this yesterday and nothing leaks.

I wanted to make sure that I did not do anything wrong.

It just makes no sense to me not to use plastic.

Why would they continue to sell metal?

Is all new construction with plastic? Or is metal still being used?

Thanks again.

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerjab
    Thank you. I also replaced the trap with a plastic one.

In fact, I did all of this yesterday and nothing leaks.

I wanted to make sure that I did not do anything wrong.

It just makes no sense to me not to use plastic.

Why would they continue to sell metal?

Is all new construction with plastic? Or is metal still being used?

Thanks again.

John

We use plastic on our new construction. However on a repair job, if the stubout's copper it's easier to replace with a chrome trap and tailpiece the it is to convert to PVC. You made the right choice. Cheers, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2005, 06:47 AM
    There are certain people that an illogical hatred for plastic, and avoid using it. There are occasional places where the piping is subject to mechanical abuse or heat that metal might be better. I am sure plastic was the right choice for you. I use it wherever I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Metal Roof Construction [ 8 Answers ]

A contractor is putting on a metal roof for me but I have an issue I hope someone can answer I have a hip roof(4sided roof that meets as a common peak)... The metal where the roofs meet at each of the four corners have gaps running from the bottom of my roof to the top.. They say the ridge...

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Heavy Metal Band [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about a 1980's "hair" heavy metal band called Saints and Sinners. Their biggest hit was "Rip It Up" but I would like to know about their history and members.

Metal flange [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet was wobbling from side to side. We removed the toilet and found that they flange was not screwed to the floor. The flange is made out lead. Is there a way to fix the flange without having to remove the floor. Thanks

View more questions Search