Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevesguitar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
    How to stop a neighbor from harassing my family
    Hello all,

Forgive me , first time using the site

I have an Issue with a neighbor harassing me and my family, we live in a townhouse/condo and we share a porch which is considered a common area unfortunately
    Well this neighbor and his friends and family all hangout there smoking and drinking most of the day and get loud and tend to travel into my area and around my cars.

I've tried to speak with them several times till the situation escalated to where at this point I've had to call the police at least 6 times and have written many complaint letters to the condo management company, the condo management chooses to do nothing and says their not breaking the law or rules
    Also the police have only ticketed them once and basically just tell them to quiet down
    And as soon as they leave the harassment continues.
    This has been going on for the last 4 months.

I just don't understand why the management company and the police choose to ignore the situation, while I have to worry about the safety of may family and pets.
    Especially since one of the neighbors just got out of jail a few months ago.

Any advice, Please Help:(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Get that video camera and start documenting it. And you keep calling the police and make a record of each date and time.

With hard evidence, you can sue the apartment complex and the neighbors for peaceful use of your common area
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
    The best way to stop a neighbor from harassing you, would be to get a peace order. This gives both you and your family protection. If this order is broken then the neighbor goes to jail. I don't know what the cost is where you live, but in my own state its $50.00
    starboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Tough very tough living in such close quarters especially when people don't see eye to eye? I know what harassment means but I am not specifically familiar with what you define as harassment here with these seemingly loud neighbors.
    Not everyone is going to get along in this world. And sometimes they happen to live next door to you. Your management won't act. You have gotten the police involved when needs be and that was a smart move because now you have it on file of the disturbances and its not just word against word.
    Question, is your lease up yet? O who cares if it is or not, I would go to the management and express to them that you will be leaving in two months because your home is not livable. Remember, this isn't just a story you have all of this on file with the police department. Let them know (verbally not on paper) that you are finished with paying to live in a very uncomfortable environment. Your hard earned money and your peace of mind will not be thrown away. Your management have an obligation to provide you with a livable townhome, and they are not providing what your money in rent is supposed to be buying. I'd remind them that the problem they have won't go away when you do, other renters will cycle through the same complaints.
    You may be surprised how well money can talk if they think your rent will walk. As far as I'm concerned I feel your lease is no longer valid if the situation is truly so unlivable. But that is information you should seek legally. Remember, cover your butt before you make any decsions here.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2007, 08:21 PM
    I agree with documenting everything by writing it down and taking videos/pictures. Also, whenever you speak with them, I would make sure that you have a witness with you.

If they are travelling into your area outside the common one, and around your cars, then you might be able get them in a document warned by the police for trespassing. Then, the next time that they do trespass into your area, and maybe around your cars. It will be considered a criminal act.

My neighbor right next door to me did this to the neighbor across the alley from him just today. The neighbor across the alley is now forbidden to trespass into his yard. One of the things that my neighbor said to the police to get them to act on the situation concerning trespassing was, "Are you waiting for a situation to occur?" Meaning, some sort of violence. Then the police acted upon the complaint.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2007, 08:59 PM
    This one is difficult. And some more information would be helpful. First, are you renting, or do you own the townhome? If renting, it might be best to just get along until the lease is up and move. Second, is the porch a common area, or an exclusive-use common area? In other words, is it really "yours", but just not owned by you, or is it really common area? If it's a common area, you really are out of luck, unless they are getting drunk, because there's nothing technically illegal about standing around, smoking, drinking, and talking. Going into your area is not good, though, and you may be able to get them to stop that by bringing the law in and the HOA. It's not clear to me if the car is parked in a common area or not. If it is, you really can't stop people from being around it, as long as they don't damage it. Finally, go to all of the HOA meetings and make your concerns known in open session. Other people may have the same problems, or may be able to provide advice on how to deal with them.
    itsallaboutme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 03:40 PM
    I feel for your situation as I have been dealing with the same thing myself. My next door neighbor kept encroaching on our driveway and eventually our landlords had to get together and survey it. We built a fence and that ended that, although they found other creative ways to harass us by throwing cigarette butts and glass into our driveway and to let their kids climb on our fence. We are moving because they are just fowl. However, you should start video taping and documenting it because I wish I did. They would have been fried. Anyhow, I know it is very difficult, but stay as positive as you can because it can be a slow-moving process between the video, police and eventually seeing a magistrate, but it will be worth it for you. Another thing - if they see you getting upset they will continue on even worse, so try to let them see that it doesn't bother you because that will just give them more of an advantage if you lose your temper. I wish you well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor woman harassed family what can I do [ 7 Answers ]

My children and I have been living in fear for 2 years now, a neighbor woman and her 'friends', have stalked, harassed, had property damage, etc... After calling police many times, were told, "get proof", then to "move", OK, now I have proof. And after emotional, financial and physical distress, I...

Police harassing my son [ 9 Answers ]

What should I do? We live in a small NEw England town. The police decided when my son was still very young, that he was going to be a trouble maker. When he was 13, they accused him of two crimes, one vandalism and the other theft. He did not have anything to do with either. That did not...

Former boss harassing me [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated on 01/29/2007 and today on 03/24/2007 I got a certified letter from my former employer demanding that I pay $464.00 for a charge on a company credit card that I did not transact. They said if I don't pay it by 04/20/07 they will file legal charges against me. This is in the state...

Harassing Neighbor [ 12 Answers ]

We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search