Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BSelff Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Main to Sub Panel Wiring
    I received an answer prior to wiring this up, but am a bit confused. I think I was told to keep the ground separate at the sub panel but am not sure. If so, I only need to pull 3 wires (2 hot legs and 1 neutral). I have attached my PDF for your review.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Elect1.pdf (59.3 KB, 2932 views)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 06:49 AM
    You need to use a 4 wire cable, or 4 wires in a conduit, two hots, one neutral, and an insulated equipment ground. You cannot run a separate wire for the equipment ground wire. It must be bundled with the hots and neutral wires.

At the panel is where the ground and neutral must be separated, in other words, do not connect with each other.

The panel always comes with a neutral bar, sits on insulating feet. Do not install the main bonding jumper, which may be a green screw or a wire jumper, from the neutral bar to the metal box of the panel. This will keep the neutral bar insulated and isolated from the equipment ground. All white neutral wires will connect to the neutral bar.

The equipment ground wire will connect to another smaller terminal strip, which you may need to buy separately. This will connect directly to the metal box using machine thread screws. All bare or green equipment ground wires, and the # 6 wire going to a grounding electrode, (rod, ufer, etc) connect to this equipment ground bar.
    BSelff Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BSelff
    I received an answer prior to wiring this up, but am a bit confused. I think i was told to keep the ground seperate at the sub panel but am not sure. If so, I only need to pull 3 wires (2 hot legs and 1 neutral). I have attached my PDF for your reveiw.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Thank You, I am assuming my drawing is then correct? I do understand about the neutral strap to ground (box interior) not being connected to each other.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Yes the diagram is correct, just keep the equipment ground with the other wires in one cable or conduit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Main Panel to Sub Panel [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a CH MBE4040B200BTS Meter main panel on my pump house drawing only power to run booster and well pumps, here is what I wish to do: Add a CH BRS225 (feed thru) to a CH BR4040B200 Main Breaker sub panel for my shop. Both panels are only 200 amp service, I will not be running more...

Main Circuit Panel to Branch Panel? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello experts, OK... My Main Load center in my home has a branch circuit connected to a 60 amp breaker. The branch feed wire is a 4awg copper wire. The branch panel is downstairs and it has a 100amp main cutoff breaker installed in it. It feeds the whole downstairs including... (1)...

Main panel as subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I stumbled across your forum and found a question that was close to mine, but have a more detailed query. I am wiring a shop/apartment. The building has a 200 amp service panel. The main loads (a/c, range) and dedicated loads (fridge, smoke detectors, etc) are branch circuits on the main...

Sub Panel with a main in Position 2,4, 6 [ 2 Answers ]

My question concerns panel boards where the main breaker takes up two or three positions on the panel board. If I use a main in position 2,4,6 the corresponding positions 1,3,5 have to be left blank according to code.

View more questions Search