Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holly hobby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Bleach vs Color remover: What's the difference?
    Does anyone know the difference between color remover and bleach. How does color remover work exactly and what is the key ingredient that makes it work?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Hair bleaching works by oxidizing the melanin molecule and lightens the hair. Bleaching can be done with oxidants such as hydrogen peroxide or an activator. Hair goes through different stages of lightening. It goes from black, to dark reddish brown, to medium reddish brown, to reddish brown, to light orange red, to gold orange, to gold, to light gold, to yellow, to pale yellow blonde and the palest yellow blonde. When you reach the desired level of lightness, you wash off the bleach, dry your hair and then deposit your selected hair color.

Hair color removers will wash or strip away permanent or non-permanent hair color. However, hair color removal products do not discriminate between artificial and natural hair color. It will leave your hair in a very raw color state with brassy undertones and you will need to re-color your hair in order for it to look natural.
    LaMermaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 01:42 AM
    Is there a remover you would recommend? Something found at Sally's?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 31, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Color Oops works well to remove permanent and non-permanent hair color. Be sure to follow label instructions carefully.
    hfoelsing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Use the color remover - prell and Color Oops (walgreens / cvs). READ ON!

HI there - I read a string including the (thank you) amazingly helpful comments from PrettyLady and I AM SO FREAKING PLEASED!! I had my stylist dye my hair, top needed to match bottom from a home kit I put on. I'm naturally med dk to dk brn. I have lightened & colored - both in salon and at home. My roots were BRIGHT orange (stylist had a whoops moment) 2 "dyes" ago and I was just about Elvira Jet Black after this last pass of color. Searched these forums in desperation and heeded PrettyLady's & others comments.

I went and bought both Prell (original formula - green in a clear plastic bottle) and the OOPS color remover - $15 or less for both. OH and a good conditioner. I put the Prell on dry hair and sat for 45 minutes. Played on computer. Washed it out, conditioned, dried hair. Note: some color ran off in the tub but when I dried - 1/25th of a change - maybe. So I put on the Color Oops not having high hopes. I have really thick, long dark hair that's been bleached, colored, beaten with a stick, etc etc and thought "this'll probably dry my hair like straw, leave the ends black and the roots will go back to the bright orange,"(because the box says if you had bleach it'll take you back to natural OR the last bleaching you killed your hair with), but I figured "I'll just go pay more to get it fixed"... and put it on.

HOLY MOSES PEOPLE!! I am SHOCKED! As one reviewer noted, you won't see color wash down the drain, and it won't look THAT different before you dry. But when you do - halleluya (however you spell it)! ALL the black is gone, the ends are a nice med to dk brown with a slight copper highlight and the roots are... the same! Voilą! And when I say a light copper that's what I mean because red doesn't look good on me and I do not like it (on my head anyway). So basically I just went from black with burgundy / bordeaux / purply highlights to a med to dk brown with the slightest copper highlights. I love it.

I do not know if the Color OOPS (extra strength) would have done this alone, if it did or if the 45 minute "Prell soak" helped it but if you're in my position - do both like I did and condition well. Apparently besides stripping out a little color, Prell strips out all product buildup. My hair hasn't had this much shine & body in forever. Best of luck to all and I hope this helps someone with similar conditions.
    mikki116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Please help me. Colour remover or bleach for purple/blue hair. Want to go back red. Tried just putting red on but still went blue/black after 1st wash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will hair color remover remove the color or make it lighter? [ 3 Answers ]

I dyed my hair light golden brown. My original hair color was dark brown. Now the golden brown is starting to fade and plus my hair is growing out at the roots. The hair color did damage to my hair and I don't want to permanent dye it anymore. All I want to do is put a dark rinse to at least get my...

Hair color remover [ 10 Answers ]

I have read some of the respones re Loreal Color Zap for removal of hair color. Will this product remove the product "Shades?" I am approx 75% gray and would like to simply go all gray. My 1/2" roots are natural gray and I have about 1 1/2" of "Shades" with the ends (about 1") being permanent...

Hair color remover [ 1 Answers ]

My hair is silver/Gray and I have had a strawberry color put on it. I am tired of coloring it all the time and want to go back to my natural color. I have been told to use a shampoo cap of 20 volume peroxide and conditioner and leave on my hair for 15-20 minutes. Will this work, or will I need to...

View more questions Search