Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shahbaz_4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 11:56 PM
    You might not have permission
    \\pc\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Well that's not really a question is it :P

This error could be down to a number of things: The PC named PC could be off, it could be on a different/workgroup domain to you, PC may not have been set up to allow it's folders etc. to be access.

A little bit more information on what you are trying to do would be helpful.
    FrugalDougal Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shahbaz_4u
    \\pc\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. the network path was not found.
    I had this problem when setting up a network. This is what I found to be the answer:-

Error message when you try to access a Windows XP-based network computer: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"
    Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 (Description of the Microsoft Windows registry) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
    Symptoms
    When you try to access a Microsoft Windows XP-based network computer, you receive an error message that is similar to the following:
    XXXXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Access is denied.
    Note XXXXX is the IP address or the computer name of the Windows XP-based computer.

You may experience this issue when you use the IP address or the computer name to access a shared folder that is stored on the Windows XP-based computer. You may also experience this issue when you use My Network Places to access a shared folder in this situation.

Cause
    This issue occurs if the restrictanonymous registry entry is set to a value of 1 on the Windows XP-based computer.

Resolution
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.To resolve this issue, set the value of the restrictanonymous registry entry to 0. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
    3. In the right pane, double-click restrictanonymous.
    4. Make sure that the value in the Value data box is set to 0, and then click OK.
    5. Close Registry Editor.
    6. Restart the computer.

References
    For more information about the restrictanonymous registry entry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    246261 (How to use the RestrictAnonymous registry value in Windows 2000) How to use the RestrictAnonymous registry value in Windows 2000

Work through it. I hope it works

Frugal
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Sometimes, all you have to do is restart your computer and you won't get the same error message. Try the simplest fix first, then look for more complex ones.

Didi
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Didi,
    Ssshhhhhhh you're giving away our best secret ;)
    tikitime Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
    \\PC\ isn't a properly formed address for an administrative share, which is what I presume you are trying to reach

Try \\servername\c$

If the server's name is PC then \\PC\C$ should do the trick.

I'm presuming your account is an authenticated user in your domain?
    vj_ip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 08:01 AM
    hello everyone

I was also facing this same problem
    I got rid of this problem finally after a lot of searching on the net

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND WHICH IAM MENTIONING BELOW:

CAUSE
    I pressed ctrl+alt+del , clicked on process tab,
    then I found a process named "SVEHOST.EXE"

this was the culprit which was changing the registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
    double click on lsa & find the following value

restrictanonymous.

this value should be always set to 0, othewise u will be facing the access denied problem

and when I manually changed the value from 1 to 0 , but on next restart of my PC , this value automatically changed to 1

& the reason was svehost.exe

Resolution

press ctrl+alt+del , go to process, svehost.exe , click on end task
    Find the path of the svehost.exe
    & delete this process

& then manually change the value in the above mentioned registry path to 0

& then restart the computer

this solved the problem

hope it will help all those guys who are facing this problem

Vj
    virusti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 08:24 PM
    My fix was very simple. My network adapter had a tick next to "allow other network users to connect through this computer's iternet connection"
    This was causing that machine to think that it was the internet gateway and making other computers not network with it properly.
    To change: right click network adaptor ->choose properties -> choose advanced tab -> untick "allow other network users to connect through this computer's iternet connection"
    Instantly all other machines can see shares on affected machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Permission to Refi during chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

We live in New Jersey and we have refinanced our home and obtained permission from the trustee and the judge, but my lawyer is saying that it takes five days for the judge to sign the order. Why? I am currently in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

Permission/privilegees XP home [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot instal a demo to my XP home PC... I am getting the error1321: installer has insuficient privilges to modify file mscomctl.ocx.. I am a user with supervisor/administrator type. Is privilege different from permissions? And how can I make sure I can install this demo? Thanks for your...

Used by permission [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a book and I wanted to know can you use newspaper clippings , and jokes off the web as long as you site your source

Permission forms? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I've been having a bit of concern on the book I'm putting together. It's a book that people contribute their poetry, life experiences and such to. It just came to my attention that I'm going to need a permission form or something along those lines for these people who are contributing...

View more questions Search