Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kvincent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Maytag refrigerator--ice forming in bottom of freezer
    Ice has been forming in the bottom of our side-by-side Maytag (MSB 2354 DRQ) which is about 7 years old. I noticed water on the floor under the fridge the other day. I broke the ice up and discarded it, and now ice has formed again. There was some ice on the back of the freezer cabin too, beneath the grille. It may have something to do with the defrost cycle. We don't have an ice maker.

Before I make a service call, I'd like to know if anyone knows what the problem might be, or how I could determine what is causing it. Thanks.

Ken
    Lolakay1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Mar 21, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Well I just read on the internet to take the back side off, which is located in the interior part of the freezer. When you get in there, there are coils, and under the coils is the drain that is supposibly clogged. So I did all that I stated above, I got all the frozen parts out with a hair dryer. But the hole will not come unclogged with hot water.
    That's why I am back on here to see if anyone else has any suggestions on what to do before taking it in.
    Any suggestions??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I am confused, are you the same post? The whole you refer to is probably very frozen and needs more time and heat to thaw. It must not be allowed to plug up.
    Lolakay1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Mar 21, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Oh I am sorry. I was just adding to that gentlemans question because mine was doing the same thing.
    Sorry for jumping in!!

Mar 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
    No problem, glad you've been reading the threads. If the drain is clear that excess water, part of the frostfree thing, should drain to a plan where it will be evapoarted. Do not dig in the whole just wait for it to melt, maybe a hair dryer to speed it up.

Mar 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Thank you for replying. I plan on taking off the panel and getting the hair dryer going. I will say that the ice builds up on top of the ice and then eventually the water just spills over the ice, out the door and onto the floor.

Ken

Mar 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
    You need to mop up the water with a towel to catch it. You have turn off the refrigerator, right?

Mar 21, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, I turned off the refrigerator. I used several towels too. Once I took the panel off the back of the freezer cabin, I saw that there was a lot of ice both on and under the thin metal "funnel" to the drain. There was some gunk in there too. I think I unplugged the hole. I don't know how deep the hole is, but the top inch or so was completely clear.

I'm still not clear why the drain got clogged with ice, and why now, but if If it takes seven more years to plug up, that won't be so bad...

Ken

Mar 22, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Like most maintenance issues we tend to not do them. Here I am giving advice and have not drained my water heater is 4 years. I better go to that now. That whole does take years to plug or just weeks if you have some unnoticed spill, like jam. Preventive maintenance ,unfortunately, is easily skipped by many. Got to go, got to drain my tank.
    Canadasvt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kvincent View Post
    I'm still not clear why the drain got clogged with ice, and why now, but if If it takes seven more years to plug up, that won't be so bad...
    Ken
    I have found this will happen if someone leaves the freezer door open or doesn't make sure they have closed it completely for a long time.
    woodworkinnut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
    I found the tube under the fridge clogged with moldy stuff. If you don't clean it you will continue to have the problem
    tijeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
    I have the same mbr1957ves3 overflow problem, Ice at the botom of the freezer

I have removed the pannel in the back inside the freezer , and de-ice every thing whit a Hair dryer. ( specially in the center where the drain is located). I have also check the "drain drip tube" at the back near the fan , it wasent cloged

The passage betwenn both still flow really slowly, seems I have to remove the frezer radiator to dig further and un-clog it ,

Any beter idea ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of the freezer panel (Maytag refrigerator) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag refrigerator MTB1504ARW. Could anyone be so kind to explain me how I can remove the sheet metal panel inside of the freezer section to check the coils for ice buildup? I have tried this but the panel doesn't come off easily so I am worried not to brake something. Cheers!

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

GE Profile bottom freezer refrigerator drain blocked [ 1 Answers ]

How do I clear clogged drain in GE Profile bottom freezer fridge?

View more questions Search