Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyj71 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
    400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket
    Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate panels inside. My questions are: 1.) where can I find a 320 amp socket?? (my elec co does not provide meter sockets) I have looked everywhere and can only find up to 200 amp. 2.) how do I split it at that point? Can I just insert both 200 amp wires into the socket or is there a certain meter box that has receptacles for two separate wires coming out? 3.) What size wire should I use for the 400 amp main and what size for the two 200 amp? Thanks!

Jim:confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Your utility may not supply the meter socket, as most don't, but most utilities list the make and model numbers of the meter sockets they approve and allow.

The local electrical supply distributor is probably the only place you will find a 320 amp socket, home centers would not,since this is a bit above the level of your average DIY'er. And the local distributor will only carry the sockets approved by the local utility, but check with the utilities requirements first.

Most utilities have their service requirements available at their website, but some may be hard to find or recognize, let me know the utility and I can look for it.

I included a picture of a 320 amp socket from Milbank, a very popular manufacturer. Note in their catalog, the different sections of the country each has a different group of meters. The 320 amp socket does not come with any load lugs, they offer various load lugs, you would need each leg to have a double lug for two 200 amp wires.

The 400 amp main can be either, for each leg 1- #600 XHHW aluminum, or each leg can be 2-#4/0 XHHW Al, or 1-#400 MCM THWN copper or 2-#2/0 THWN copper.

Each leg to a 200 amp panel can be either 1-#2/0 Cu or 1-#4/0 Al.
    jimmyj71 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Hi TK, thanks for the reply. My electric company is Ohio Edison and I will be building in Vermilion, OH. When I talk to them, even they have no real idea of what type of meter I should use exactly. Thanks!

Jim
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Minimum meter requirements for your utility begins on page 16, and the 320 amp is found on page 17, of the following:

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/Buil....1rev_2006.pdf

May be a good idea to review the entire booklet to see what may apply for installing a service.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jun 15, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj71
    Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate panels inside. My questions are: 1.) where can I find a 320 amp socket?? (my elec co does not provide meter sockets) I have looked everywhere and can only find up to 200 amp. 2.) how do I split it at that point? Can I just insert both 200 amp wires into the socket or is there a certain meter box that has receptacles for two separate wires coming out? 3.) What size wire should I use for the 400 amp main and what size for the two 200 amp? Thanks!

Jim:confused:
    You will need to go to an Electrical Distributor in your area to get a 320A meter socket. These are actually rated for 400 Amp continuous service. The one thing you will want to know is that the lugs on this socket will not accept any larger wire than 500XHHW aluminum.
    WIreNutty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Maybe you should hire a professional, sounds like you might not be able to handle this type of installation
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 10:20 AM
    This question began in March 2007.

I am sure the project is complete by now, so any additional advice is a bit late.

Please refrain from answering questions older than one month.

This question is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

View more questions Search