Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Filipino bride/wedding scam?
    Met her online, wedding is being planned she says, wants 2k to pay for it, I'm going June 3 for 3 weeks to marry and be with her, she claims she can't come here for a year after we marry due to paperwork involved, am I being scammed? She claims poverty, works 12 hr days, has parents married 38 years, 6 siblings, one here in america married also to an american older guy, I am 42, she 24, claims to love me, and be devoted the rest of her life to me,, is it a scam?? Please advise, thanks.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I would think so. Please do not send one dime to her. Save it for the trip there and then make your decision.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Tell her that no large wedding is needed and you will have the money with you when you get there if you want to go, bet there will be a dozen more things show up for money.

Next remember that just getting married does not get her to be a US citizen there is a large list of rules from the INS. And there is no reason she can't get a passport and visa to come here.

Now I know many of people who do meet over seas wife's ( more while in person) and they are more like arranged marriages, they want the better life in the US and don't mind marring someone they don't really love.

Also remember that with the difference in cost of living a wedding would not cost over a couple hundred dollars most likely for a nice one.

Sadly she is most likely a 60 year old women writing or emailing, using the photo or ID of some one girl used for a dozen other email scams.

My first guestion is how did you all meet, was it from some spam email you received? Or were you over there and meet her in person and just carried on a long distance relationshiop

Save the 2000 for a trip there and visit her, then if it is real, do another trip in a year when she can come to you
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Fly her up to meet her, she can come in as a visitor, it will cost a lot less and you can see what she is like in person, or as said above, fly there.
    mjc25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl
    met her online, wedding is being planned she says, wants 2k to pay for it, im going june 3 for 3 weeks to marry and be with her, she claims she can't come here for a year after we marry due to paperwork involved, am i being scammed? she claims poverty, works 12 hr days, has parents married 38 years, 6 siblings, one here in america married also to an american older guy, i am 42, she 24, claims to love me, and be devoted the rest of her life to me,,,is it a scam??? please advise, thanks.
    I would be quick to wonder about this. I worked with an older gentalman who is going through the same thing with a woman in Africa. He has sent her over 2400 in cash on the agreement that she would come back to america and they would be together, and yet nothing. She claims that she can't get a plane ticket but keeps asking for more money. She has even went as far as to ask me to send her money. I have told the guy repedatly that she is scaming him and he is to blind to see it. I tell you to look deep inside your heart and ask yourself if u think this is real or if she is just after your money. There are also some websites where you can find if it is a scam or not. Try to look at that.
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Mar 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Yes, it is most likely a scam... I have heard of them from Russia and other third world countries. A friend's brother sent some money to a Russian woman... and like mjc25 answered... they keep having excuses... and need more money...

Why not use dating sites here in the US? I am sure there is an American lady that would love to get to know you and marry you... :p
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 17, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swirlgirl
    Yes, it is most likely a scam.....I have heard of them from Russia and other third world countries. A friend's brother sent some money to a Russian woman....and like mjc25 answered.....they keep having excuses...and need more money....

Why not use dating sites here in the US? I am sure there is an American lady that would love to get to know you and marry you....:p
    Russia isn't a third world country.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Yes, it certainly is not, but these scams can come from anywhere, like those emails where someone in Africa has inherited millions but needs to use your bank account to get the money so they need your account info. Scams are everywhere. If this person really wants to marry you she will be willing to come to the us as a visitor or accept you coming there as a visitor before she asks for money. I would be kind of suspicious if she makes up reasons neither of these situations can happen before the wedding has to be paid for.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 10:49 PM
    You bet your arse your being scammed. Anybody or anything that is asking for money, yep it is a scam.

The marriage, the everything is a huge arse of a scam. Do not be stupid enough to send money to somebody you do not even know.

This is not a true relationship. Why marry somebody you have never met in the first place.

Oh my god. What is this world coming too.

Please do not be a sucker and drop this person from all your contacts and never send any money. Just repeated it so you know how series this is.

Joe
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Mar 17, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Sorry, no Russia is not third world... but not far from it... lots of poverty. Also be aware these women do this for a living. They sucker more that one man at a time... they are most likely supporting their and their extended family also!

We all play the fool some time or other in our lives... if you have sent money... just have it be an expensive lesson. If you have not sent money all the better, but still a lesson in love.

You were just looking for love in the wrong place... try USA!:o
    barato56 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2007, 04:32 PM
    If you Google scams, you will read all the info you need. First do not send the money to some 60 year old woman. Second, I bet you have not seen her on a live cam. If she makes excuses on why she can not come on, then it might be your true guy mate you are talking too. Lol After you send the money, you know you will never see or hear from her. OR she may have got robbed and needs more money.
    If you do not send money there, I read to have an alternative, just in case things do not work out. You could still talk to some girls as penpals and that way if this one fizzles out you have the others to meet. I got on Cherry Blossoms and met a lot of scammers. When I did not send money for their dying mother, they did not talk to me no more.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Mar 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Who knows now days what is or isn't a scam? I do know that in the Philippines most do have to work several hours a week to just be about to pay for very basis nessecities, it is rough! Almost all live in poverty. You can look up on the net about their per capita income and see that for yourself, so that is not a lie. Most Phillipinos are catholic, so her having many siblings is probably not a lie either.

But 2K for a wedding in the Philippines? If you marry in the Philippines, it is actually harder for her to get her citizenship here. She needs to apply for a visitors visa and since she has a sister in america, she needs to claim to visit her. Once she is here and you marry here, then she may not have to return to the Philippines. If you go there and marry, she can not return with you and you could wait more than a year before she can come here.

I would NOT send her money for a wedding. BE CAREFUL!

I hope this can help a little. Bringing someone here from the Philippines is quite difficult. I wish you the best of luck.
    fulishman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl
    met her online, wedding is being planned she says, wants 2k to pay for it, im going june 3 for 3 weeks to marry and be with her, she claims she can't come here for a year after we marry due to paperwork involved, am i being scammed? she claims poverty, works 12 hr days, has parents married 38 years, 6 siblings, one here in america married also to an american older guy, i am 42, she 24, claims to love me, and be devoted the rest of her life to me,,,is it a scam??? please advise, thanks.
    Im going threw the same thing now if they are not on a cam evry time you could be talking to there sister just to mantninse you. O my cam is broke or computer hass viras. The computer hass a arkive the sisters can pretent to be her if there is no cam they just study what you have talked to her about and pretend they are experts
    Allso these girls can look difrent from one day to the next. I no it sounds silly buttahy are masters of deskise. And texing on the phone same thing you don't now if the sister hass the phone. This will free up your girls friends time to catch a nother good man yes I say good man because its not your folt got it. She can get miny men in this scam at one time if you just show up there she will be mad and rush you away somwere els. But they all say they are so onest and I disobay my parents they are angry with me they will shun me away make me leve if I don't make money or if she is with you just having inisent fun she will tell you the community is looking bad at her. When indeed it's a lie they are all in on it mother dad sistersin traning. But just remimber this if you've never ben hungry for food no money thin you can't say you wouldent do what they are doing should they just die. Just go to china they are not scaming they won't the hell out of that country.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Have you not met this girl yet? If not, then you are foolish to even considering marrying her at this point. If so, and you still have doubts... DON'T!!

I would bet my last dollar that this is a scam. She doesn't need a WEDDING! She needs a marriage licence. I'm telling you, as a decent woman... I would NEVER ask my man to send me money for a wedding.

Do some research on the web... check out sites such as Internet Love Scams, Safer Dating or Looks Too Good to be True. I would strongly suggest that you do a background check before heading down there... definitely before sending any cash. If she's up front she will understand your need to do so - just suggest that you should do so before sending any money.

Good luck!

Didi
    Beachgrl Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Apr 20, 2007, 12:06 AM
    If she is so poor how does she have a computer and internet service? I would say just bring the money when you go out there and make sure everything is on the up and up first. Also, it would be a good idea to marry her in the US. I know someone that married a mexican man in mexico they already have three kids but the US will not let him come legally into the country even though his family is here. He's been waiting 3 years already and no end in sight. If you do marry her you don't want this happening to you so try to bring her back.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 20, 2007, 07:33 AM
    This stinks of scam to me... I think you'd be much better off to find someone in person, who you can actually get to know and learn about. The internet is a lot of fun, but it is a very impractical setting for courting, as you never really know who strokes the keys behind the messages.
    rpl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 02:43 PM
    To all of the above wonderful responses,, I thank you all. I did go to the Philippines to meet her. She appears legit. However, when I suggested we don't marry in June there, because I didn't like the heat, she agreed to marry here when she gets her visa which will take up to one year to do. Question is,, I had thought she was already making so called hand made wedding invitations for 100 people! I had thought also she wanted to have her parents see her get married. All of a sudden, she's OK with coming here instead. What do you think? She introduced me to her folks, and her sister and sisters boyfriend... all seemed legit. I was only at her home for one meal, breakfast at 6:30 a.m. a day she claimed was hers for cooking for her father to go to work. I wonder! Says they share that chore.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 05:29 PM
    I think you should tread lightly and do not give her money for anything. You obviously have some little voices of doubt nagging at you and I think you should take your time and pay attention to those doubts. I hope she's legit, but honestly, statistics are not in your favour.

Good luck!

Didi
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
    2 thousand dollars for a wedding is a fortune in the Philippines! The World Bank Group says that the average per capita income for citizens of the Philippines is $1300 US dollars.

Jesushelper76 is right. There are lots of women here that would love to get to know you and don't require a minimum down payment of 2k before they even meet you in person.

Most of us American born women at least wait until marriage before taking all your money!
    DeliaMamulo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I know of an American Guy in Cleveland Ohio with a filipino wife, that rounds up single men and plans a trip once a year. He introduces the recruits he bring to cousins, neices, whomever in the Philippines. One instance, one of the recruits got a philipino girl pregnant, she and he then had to wait until the child was born to apply for fiancée visa. This past October the Philipino girl arrived at the airport in Manila to come to the USA on her fiancée visa and was told her ticket was cancelled. The Philipino girl called the Sensai in Cleveland Ohio, who then paid for her flight here to the USA, on a fiancée visa that the american guy wanted no part of. She came here for 90 days, and the Cleveland Ohio guy took this girl and introduced her and 4 month old son, to as many men he could even married ones. These girls are whores, will sleep with and do the most disgusting things, for money. Im glad she is gone, and won't be back anytime soon. She wants the men she met here to support her and her kid back in the Philippines, send money, put minutes on cell phone, you name it and calls at 430am est. These woman are whores and home wreckers BEWARE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bride dress. [ 9 Answers ]

Please my friend is getting married,and I would like you to give me all the sites that are available for a bride dress.Thanks.

What to wear to Caribean wedding for the mother-of-the-bride? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Please help!! My daughter is getting married in the Caribbean next month. What would be appropriate attire? The wedding will be in a gazebo near the beach. 80's degree F temperate. What do ladies wear in the Caribbean islands? I'm a 50's something, average height and size. I've been told...

Not so blushing bride [ 6 Answers ]

I am so over this. I just don't want to get married anymore... I mean, I want to BE married to my man, but just skip the wedding part... My soon-to-be mother-in-law is behaving somewhat oddly... After a phone conversation in which she first instructed me to write wedding invitations in a...

Waiting to be a bride [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with iain for 4 years now... 4 of them he was married for... we finally finalized the divorce... how long should I give him to make a commitment to me... should I wait and give him a breather, or expect a band.

View more questions Search