Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudiV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Did they break the lease
    We live in the state of Virginia. We moved into this house a year ago and we were given a 2 year lease... Since then the landlord has listed the house with a real estate agent.. Since they did this, did they break our lease.

Thank you
    Judi
    get8p Posts: 59, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Hey Judi. What do u mean he "listed the house"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
    No, not at all ( unless you have a clause in the lease that says they can't sell)

They are free to sell the house, the new owner has to honor the lease.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    No, not at all ( unless you have a clause in the lease that says they can't sell)

They are free to sell the house, the new owner has to honor the lease.
    Yes, and at this point they haven't even sold the house; They are just trying to.

What difference should it make to you, JudiV?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by get8p View Post
    Hey Judi. What do u mean he "listed the house"?
    Umm, this usually means that the house is being listed with a real estate agent for sale. What else would it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by JudiV View Post
    ..Since they did this, did they break our lease.

Thank you
    Judi
    Does your lease have a provision prohibiting the landlord from selling the property during the term of the lease?

If not, why would you think this has any affect on your lease?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord break new lease if renters have signed lease but not landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

We have signed a new lease on a house and mailed the lease back to the landlord with a deposit. She was originally selling the house, but decided not to sell the house since she found us as renters. However, the landlord delayed for three weeks on signing the lease and sending it back to us. It...

How do I break a lease with a tenant with a two year lease and reclaim my home? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a home in Texas that I rented out to a tenant that has a two year lease so I could move to Florida to help my brother get over the death of his wife. It has been one year and my brother is ready to get on with his life now. Unfortunately, with the Florida economy being so bad my business here...

We have a year lease and the landlord is in foeclosure can we break the lease and mov [ 2 Answers ]

We have a year lease and it is not up till April but now the landlord is in foreclosure can we move . We where going to move any way because of plumming problems can we do it with out breaking the lease ?

Florida landlord tenant lease. Can I break lease if I [ 3 Answers ]

So everything according to the lease but have tomove out before lease renewal date due to illness? I am disabled in an disabled apartment but my new medical problem gives cause for me to live in a gated, age appropriate setting. My doctor has written a letter stating I must move as soon as the...

Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease [ 5 Answers ]

I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my...

View more questions Search