Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nik1989 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 06:14 AM
    transformer
    Hi,
    A transformer is rated 20kva 3300/200V. To circulate rated current in the primary, what is the value of the voltage to be applied and how to arrive at it?
    My doubt is in Short circuit test, we apply a voltage less than the rated on primary to get rated primary current. But rated primary current is calculated by :(20kva/3300).. I am terribly confused. Somebody please hel me..
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
    This may help:

http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/IIT-...I/pdfs/1_7.pdf

http://theego.com/HND/UEE.PDF

http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/~drivelab/E...E003_EXPT2.pdf

Jun 6, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Thank you sir but still I am not satisfied..

Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Then try this:

Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Building Electrical Systems - John H. Matthews - Google Books

What is your confusion?

Why are you asking this question?

Jun 7, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Sir my doubt is: Rated current is the ratio of rated output(say 20kvA) and rated Voltage(say 3300V) in a 20kva 3300/220V transformer. In short circuit test we short LV winding and apply reduced voltage to the primary so as to circulate rated current in the primary. How does rated current flow when a reduced voltage is applied? I am not able to understand that.
    Thank you..
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 06:21 AM
    Simply by the virtue of a short circuit allows and causes the rated current to flow in the sec winding with low voltage applied to the pri.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Av transformer [ 1 Answers ]

How to change my av transformer located in my attic

About Transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to give 3 indication to a panel Who's supply voltage is 480V But indication blub is of 110v I have 3 transformer to convert it in to 110 But how can I get the wiring to indicate the lamp I have tried many type but not getting If I connected in transformer delta-detla i.e. primary and...

A/c transformer [ 5 Answers ]

How much would a a/c tranformer will cost does some knows

Transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a transformer that is 120/24 one side of the transformer going to the board is reading 24 volts like is supossed to the other side going to the control board is only reading 8 volts I don't know what the problem is

Transformer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys I'm having trouble finding a replacement transformer for my heating unit. The model number is AT140B1123. It's a Honeywell product but I can't find it on their website. Thanks Lou

View more questions Search