Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denise601 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
    My husband of 14 yrs walked out on me.
    We don't have any kids together. I haven't worked in 8 yrs.We have a house together. I have no income. He wants a divorce. I think there is another woman. What can I do. What can I get out of the divorce?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
    What you can "get" depends on where you live. Are there other kids involved - his, yours?

The other woman matters little. What grounds is he intending to use?

If you can't agree a Judge will take a look at both sides and issue an Order concerning property and support.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
    A lot of that depends on where you live... but the least is Alimony, the rest have a lot of "it depends" attached, depending on your states laws, likely half of any equity you might have in the house... assuming it was bought after the wedding... half of the bank accounts... and the realization you will likely be going back to work to make up the rest.

Of course inheritances are exempt, and property and assets owned prior to the marriage. Any prenups...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Yes, where you live and the laws on divorce means a lot for your area.
    You can expect him to give you nothing at this point, so get a job as soon as possible,

Get an attorney and file for divorce

Apr 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
    I'm living in Ga he is staying I Ok. All of my kids are grown, not by him. He has a gown son and 12 yr by someone else. How does the other woman matter. I really don't want a divorce. There are no prenups. If I decided to file for divorce will it matter who does first. I don't know what grows he divorcing he just says that he wants a divorce.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
    The other woman cannot be sued, held responsible, anything else. She matters to you but not to the Court. States that allow alienation of affection lawsuits are reluctant to say that a person broke up a marriage.

I would rather be the Plaintiff than the Defendant, but that's just me. If you don't want a divorce do nothing and see what he does next.

Who is supporting you now?

Is he a resident of OKlahoma?

Apr 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
    He works in Oklahoma. My family is helping me. I'm struggling 2 pay the bills. Isn't he liable to pay the mortgage if its in his name?
    paulal Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
    If its in his name, is he planning on selling the house n giving u half?

Apr 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
    He says I can have the house.
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2012, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paulal View Post
    If its in his name, is he planning on selling the house n giving u half?

He doesn't have to - that's a bargaining chip for the divorce process.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Unless he owned the house BEFORE they got married and its still solely in his name... then generally is not a bargaining chip, but that's not cast in stone.. But I don't think that is the case here.

If the Mortgage is in his name... he can simply stop paying.. it will go into foreclosure, the bank tosses everyone out... and his credit will suck for the next 7 years.

Apr 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Can I get alimony. He is in Ok, he is not a resident he works there but doesn't come home. I'm living in the house in Ga.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2012, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by denise601 View Post
    Can I get alimony. He is in Ok, he is not a resident he works there but doesn't come home. I'm living in the house in Ga.

Denise, have you read any of the answers? You don't know what you can "get" until one of you files for divorce. It's more complicated than a dollar amount.

"AK" - I was referring to the house as a bargaining chip based on my personal experience. When I divorced I knew he was going out of State and I knew I would follow him around forever to get pennies in alimony and so he signed the house over to me, no spousal support, no contact, good-bye and good luck.

Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Thanks everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband and I have been trying to have kids for a little over 2 yrs. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to have kids for a little over 2 yrs. I have went to the doctor and my tubes aren't blocked and my husband is good. The doctor put me on clomid. I took it for 5 months and gave up and said if it happens it happens. My periods have been irregular and normally I...

My husband walked out 9 months ago he wants a divorce. Is there a chance he will change [ 12 Answers ]

Myhusband walked out 9mos ago.we both have lawyers he wants a divorce but I don't. I refuse to sign separation papers. He is seeing a younger woman who is also married. What will happen if I don't sign any papers when we go to court in march? My lawyer isn't much help to me because I couldn't hire...

I walked in on my husband maturbating [ 36 Answers ]

I walked in on my husband masturbating the other night. I was so pissed I mean I totally understand that most people masturbate but here's the thing my kids were asleep and I was there downstairs. I could've easily had sex with him instead of him taking that route. So then I'm left feeling like...

Husband Got Deported 10 yrs ago [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I was married 10 years ago. I feel in love and realized too late that he did not really love me back. He wanted a green card. We were living with my parents when he left to stay with his fam in their apartment. He used my name and ruined my credit. Years later, I figure out that this...

View more questions Search