Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christinah2876 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 09:38 AM
    Can my boyfriend (as the only contributor to the household) claim my children?
    I didn't work all year and my boyfriend did. Can he claim myself and/or my children on his return under other for relationship?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
    If your children lived all the year with your boyfriend, he can claim them as Qualifying Relative. Even then he will not get earned income credit for claiming the children. Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Yes, he can claim YOU and YOUR children as dependents, but NO Child Tax Credit and NO Earned Income Credit if he is not the biological father.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 06:18 AM
    I'd like to emphasize Mukata's statement that for your BF to claim you and the children you must have all lived with him for the entire year. And although you didn't ask about this: even if your BF claims you or the children as dependents he must still file as Single, not as Head of Household (unless he has other relatives living with him).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Good points, ebaines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim Head of household for 2010 taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

I am single and own my home and help support my mother that lives in the same city and help her with more than 1/2 of her expenses. The question that I have is that with SSI and her 401k she made 14k this year. She will file her 2010 taxes this year and was wondering if the 14k that she claims will...

What if your children's mother lets her boyfriend claim the fathers children [ 1 Answers ]

The mother of my children and I are spit up and she has a boyfriend and she said that h&r block said that he can claim my children on his taxes, Is this true?

Roomates both claim head of household both with one child? [ 1 Answers ]

Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes both persons also ihave one child each. And pay for everything 50 -50 rent utilities

Two roomates claim head of household? [ 1 Answers ]

Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes?

Who can claim the children? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want to find out if I am eligible to claim my children for taxes. My husband and have been separated for a year now. No separation agreement. I'm sure he earns more than I and he continues to pay mortgage and utilities. What exactly is the make up of 'over half' of living expenses for the...

View more questions Search