Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubby689 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
    How long does a criminal record last
    If one has a criminal record years ago and hasent been in trouble since can they use this criminal record. Do we have a time frame in wich they can use a criminal record?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 03:59 PM

Normally it lasts forever. And depending on the crime it may prohibit you from certain jobs or other rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 06:29 PM

"use criminal record" I don't know how you mean, use it. It is just there to look at. It is used if you are arrested again for number of offenses
    rlrl2010 Posts: 85, Reputation: 3

Jun 12, 2010, 10:44 AM

Generally the more serious the offense the more of a barrier is is.

It also depends what type of job it is and the type of check being performed and by who

Mostly,the conviction always stays indefinitely in the files of the fbi and states fingerprint systems and the court of conviction, unless a sealing order or expungement has been applied

Generally if you are applying for a job where you will be fingerprinted fir a disqualifying offense(like at my job in NY they check for felonies of sex or violence) and it shows up it's mandated by the state that the employer either fire not hire the employee. Any lesser offenses not involving a felony of sex or violence will still be reported to the employer, but there is no mandate by the state to take adverse action, and it's up to the employer if they want to take adverse action

If an employer uses a consumer reporting company to pull criminal data on an employee someone from a court, some states have restrictions in reporting certain arrest and conviction information. For example, in NY, a consumer reporting company can report any criminal conviction on an employee for up to 7 years. However, if the employee can be expected to earn $25,000 on the job, the conviction can be reported indefinitely

And if the employer does not use a service and simply obtains the info from the court, the employer does not have to abide by any rules at all

Sometimes there are laws from the EEOC that tell an employer to take into account how long ago the offense occurred, the severity and gravity of the offense, and it's bearing to the job position offered
    charged.me Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 08:45 PM

If you are in Canada, you will be lucky, apply for a pardon, you will give your life a second change!
    republican Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 02:15 AM
    I believe that if we are going to live in a safe world we need a strong legal system.But we also must give people with minor crimal pasts the chance to become useful members of society,contributing,paying taxes,etc.My friend has not been in trouble with the law for twenty five years, and still he has to make excuses to future employers,visa applications etc.Why can't he be giving a chance to carry on with his life.It costs heaps to imprison someone,why not push for more integration into main stream society,some people know they have done wrong and change for the better,let them be.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Good idea.

I suggest you bring this subject up with your senators and congressmen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to find out if a long time ago criminal record would affect child custody [ 9 Answers ]

I have currently proposed to a woman whom has a child by a man that she was never married to. He left her years ago when he found out she was pregnant by him. They were in a committed relationship and he knew she wanted get married and have at least one child. He had told her this was what he...

Criminal record [ 3 Answers ]

I am in uk and applied for a settlement visa get married with a eu girl,but I have couple of cases. 1)i am a bank defaulter for couple of credit cards in my country. 2)i have a pending case of forgery documents. Does this affect my settlement visa application. Thanks

Do you have a criminal record [ 3 Answers ]

If you got caught shoplifting at a first offense took the theft class and were no convicted do you have a criminal record

Criminal Record? [ 5 Answers ]

In Toronto Canada I got the appearance notice and fingerprinted. On first appearance I was told to pay few $ to charity and after two day I was told your charge has been withdrawn/dismissed. Question: 1) Am I convicted? 2) Am I having criminal record? 3) Am I...

Criminal Record? [ 1 Answers ]

In Toronto Canada I got the appearance notice for theft under and cop allow me to go (no arrest), on appearance day my charge was withdrawn and asked me to pay to charity. My question is will I be having criminal record? I am 26 year old.

View more questions Search