Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamer110406 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Boyfriend does nothing for me
    I have been with my boyfriend for over two years. We both still live at home but only a few minutes away from each other. I always go see him (almost every night) and spend the night when I can. Most of the time a visit him in the evening and end up waiting on him to eat and shower before I have to go home because I work the next day. I knew going into the relationship that he didn't like to go out much or spend much but it never really bothered me until recently. He has been coming to my house for Thanksgiving and I usually spend Christmas Day at his house. For Christmas, I bought him, his parents and siblings gifts like I did last year. ( He didn't even stop at my house to wish my parents happy holidays, my parents talk to him a few times a year) I got a gift card from him, I thanked him but I thought he would make a effort to make up for a year of little things I do for him ( buy him). His mom spent more on me than he did but I don't want to make him feel bad. Two days after Christmas he spent over $500 on something for himself, which he always does. I wanted so badly to spend time with him since I had a week of but his friend was always over and I seemed just to be in the way. I spent the holiday break upset and I don't know what to do. I like his friend but he is always around. If his friend is over I don't even feel like going to see him because I know I will just be alone entertaining myself. I tell him how I feel so I will feel better but he never tries to do anything. I don't want to change him I just want him to make an effort. I feel like I am always mad but I love him so much. What should I do?
    evoqus Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 09:46 PM

Sounds to me like he's a little immature and preoccupied with himself.
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Jan 9, 2009, 10:35 PM

Talk to him. If you don't get a response, then it's time to move on.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:57 AM

Yeah, first off communicate this to him, and see if it changes.

This seems like a one sided relationship, and he is taking your effort and generosity for granted. As long as you keep going out of your way to put all of this effort in, he will keep being the effortless boyfriend he is. So, talk, and go from there.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 10:58 AM

If seems like your putting more effort in this relationship then him but then again you knew how he was from the beginning on only now his actions are starting to bother you. You want more and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think you want much you just want time and to feel wanted. Well your best bet is to express your feelings to him and see his reaction. If nothing change then it's time to move on if your needs aren't being met. Also, I don't think you should be the one doing all the compromise because it will only leave you feeling sad and unwanted. Btw, what are your ages?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 11:06 AM

Bad news: people don't change

Good news: there are plenty of nice attentive you compatible guys out there.

Here's a philosophy I apply to friends but might help boyfriend situations too

Just because you met them first doesn't mean they are the best match for you.
    ja77 Posts: 250, Reputation: 36

Jan 10, 2009, 12:10 PM

Communicate is the main break down in a lot of relationships, once this starts to break down most times its over.

You need to have a long honest talk, and make your next call from what comes out of that.
    batman76 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
    [QUOTE=templelane;1476467]Bad news: people don't change

Disagre: we humans are capable of change
    lady_gee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 05:51 AM
    My boyfriend is effortless monkey... and we always argue about that... we always talked about it... I'm very much open about how I feel but still he never makes anything to change it! I always feel neglected! Maybe men are really insensitive..
    twigney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2012, 01:29 AM
    I'm in the same boat. My boyfriend puts no time or effort in with me or my family yet I do everything for him and his family. He has an excuse for everything and I'm getting tired of it. Occasionally he gets all depressed and worries that I'll leave him because he treats me so badly, he acknowledges he treats me terribly, he hides it from everyone yet he still does it. I'm so over it. But anyway, I think the best any of us can do is play the hand we've been dealt and hope for the best. If he doesn't put any effort in with you or care then perhaps you should just take a step back for a little while and let him feel what it's like without you, still be with him and be there for him but don't ask to see him as much, etc..
    VirtuousPlume Posts: 24, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
    I will tell you my situation even though it may not be your case.

I am a guy and I love a girl deeply. Before meeting her I had a girlfriend. I was very affectionate to her, we bought presents to each other on every occasion and spent lots of time together. When we broke up, however, those memories of the time spent together kept feeling bitter. Even a few years after the break up I still can't lightheartedly give gifts to the girl I currently love (although I want to), and I am afraid of spending too much time together or telling people we love each other, because it makes me feel safer to behave that way, keeping an emotional distance of sorts. I am changing by myself, but if by chance that's your boyfriend's case, you may want to reassure him about it.

If that isn't the case, I agree with Twigney, if he doesn't want to make a minimal effort for you, he doesn't deserve you.
    indya Posts: 357, Reputation: 58

Mar 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
    Talk to him. Let him know how you feel. You are a caring and nurturing person by nature. He definitely isn't. Also he seems to be taking things for granted.

Its not only about the amount of money he spends on you, its about how much time and attention he gives to you. There has to be some balance some equality in a relationship, you cannot always do all the giving.

Let him know that. And if he doesn't change, leave him for good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend vs ex sort of boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I've like this guy for 8 - 10 months his name was lets say Scott. Scott and I never actually went out but we liked each other. Said ' I love you' and held hands did what normal couples would do. He didn't ask because he wanted to be 100% sure if out relationship would last. I liked him a lot...

Ex boyfriend or new boyfriend? [ 7 Answers ]

Well my boyfriend just broke up with me about a week ago anndd I just found out that he still likes me but I don't know what to do because he already has a girlfriend and I also just found out that another guy{i have liked for about a year now}likes me and wants to ask me out but I have no idea...

My ex boyfriend wouldn't have sex with me [ 8 Answers ]

I had my first boyfriend two and a half years ago. We were both 19 at the time, we are now 21. He is very good looking. Typical blonde haired, blue eyed surfer and I'm not so bad either haha. I was a virgin before I started dating him. Anyway, throughout our whole relationship, the guy took no...

Never had a boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

What would you do if you were in the 9th grade and never had a boyfriend and all your friends have one and I have been told that I'm pretty by many people and I'm nice what do you think could be wrong with me and I'm skinny but not too skinny

I need a boyfriend! [ 11 Answers ]

I have been single for wayyy too long now! Me and my baby's daddy was together for about 3 years and after we broke up, I didn't really care to get into another relationship. I did actully after 5 months but me and that guy only lasted for about 3 months, and then we broke up! I just turned 20...

View more questions Search