Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msabby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Air conditioner - blower motor capacitor
    I'm in Mesa AZ - I called the SRP (electric Co) for their special $29.95 check to make sure our unit is ready for summer. They sent someone from Climate Pro - the result was that it cost $187.71. He changed the blower motor capacitor (which he said was out of tolerance - 14.09 MED when it should be 15 MED) whatever that is. And that it was making the motor work harder and if I didn't change it out the motor was at risk and it would be a larger fee to replace that.
    So - was I taken to the wood shed?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2012, 04:47 PM
    1 microfarad off should not make a difference. After reading your post I checked 4 new capacitors out of the box. The range ran from .01 to .09 lower. That's how they get their foot in the door with a low inspection fee.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Yes, my opinion you was taken to the woodshed
    msabby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Thanks guys - I had a gut feeling this wasn't a needed repair. Wish I had some way to let people know about this company - Climate Pro in Chandler AZ - and the need to avoid them!
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Mar 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Well, we can add one more company to the list in AZ. Unfortunately, SRP (our elec company) recommends the preventative maintenance but uses contractors that pay their Techs based on commission. That goes for 75% of residential HVAC service techs in the valley of the sun.

I could come out and find 20 things you 'could' replace but I am not paid to change parts that operate normally. Most guys are held to sales quotas and face reprimand for not pushing parts. That sickens me.

Looks like you are getting educated and informed and that is a good thing. I got into this business after my parents were taken for a ride by some crooks in this town.

Good luck and on the bright side you got off pretty easily compared to many.

don't read this article unless you have a strong stomach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner condenser fan motor capacitor? [ 4 Answers ]

The Condenser Fan Motor Capacitor on my TRANE AC was replaced Sept. 2010, I had a handy man come to my home to do a repair for something unrelated and he took look at my AC and said he should replace the Capacitor. If I didn't I would burn my unit out. I wasn't home at the time a friend was and...

Why does my central air conditioner blower motor keep going bad? [ 8 Answers ]

Central ac unit outside Trane Model XL 1100 (about 16 years old) has gone through 2 blower motors this week. I called a tech out because of no air flow from the vents and he cleaned the unit and replaced both capaciters. It worked. A couple days later, nothing again. He came out and changed the...

Air conditioner blower motor how to know when bad? [ 0 Answers ]

The air conditiner seems to short cycle even though the house is plenty hot. The air comes out nice and cool as low as 58f to 59f. When I was checking the unit the coil's seem to over cool when the fan shut off and the compreesor was still going. I turned the unit to fan only it would run for a...

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Checking air conditioner capacitor [ 7 Answers ]

Our central air unit isn't putting out cold air. I was told it might be the capacitor since we have just come out of a black out. Can anyone tell me how to check for the capacitor?

View more questions Search