Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tree65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
    What are my rights as a grandmother?
    Our Granddaughter is 3 years old she lives in new zealand with her mother.My son and her have since split up. We left New zealand on the 19th January 2012 we had our grand daughter for 2 weeks which was wonderful and she felt safe and sound.We brought our grand daughter a mobile phone so we could call her but since she has left our care there has been no contact.Prior to us visiting for christmas it has been really difficult to have any contact with our grand daughter. Please help us.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
    Buying a three year old a mobile phone is really a misnomer. How do you expect her to dial your number ?

Truth be told, grandparents, as much as they are needed, do not have any rights.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
    My 11 year old has a hard time keeping her mobile phone charged and in her bag. What possible hope has a three year old?

Legally, you don't have rights unless there are special circumstances which would allow a court to grant you some sort of custody or visitation.

Why did you leave NZ? Moving away from your grand-daughter is going to limit your contact with her. I can quite understand if her father refuses to allow her to leave the country.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree65 View Post
    ... We left New zealand on the 19th January 2012 ...
    That was yesterday (or today in N.Z.). Are you sure that's what you mean?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
    You need to consult with an attorney in New Zealand to see what rights you might have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What rights has a grandmother got? [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently fallen out with my son and his girlfriend and have now been told that I cannot see my grandson who is only 13 months old. As Frankies paternal grandmother do I have any legal rights to see him?

What are my grandmother rights [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has a nearkly 9 year old son from aprevious relationship. Th bo7's father left when he was a year old. From that time I have practiocally raised my grandson. My daughter and her son lived with me off and on from the time he was a year old. Three years ago my daughter moved in with...

Grandmother rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my girl friend has 2 granddaughters from her son that past away about 5 yrs ago, his wife uses the girls to get what she wants from the family, not to long ago she had moved back to Michigan. She was only back here for about 5 months and then she just packed up and moved back to ashland, Tn....

Grandmother rights [ 1 Answers ]

Is their a such thing as grandmother rights in the state of Texas?

Grandmother rights [ 3 Answers ]

My mother wants to take custody of my daughter for I got married to someone who is now in prison and thinks she is at risk. Can she legally do that?

View more questions Search