Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lefty584 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Predicting Chemical Equations
    So I am having trouble with my chemistry.

What I don't understand is what to do when you are predicting the products of a chemical equation, and knowing what its physical state is

for example

Hg (NO3)2 + Na2S -->

I looked at my activity series and Sodium is more reactive than Mercury so I got

Na(NO3) + HgS

then balanced the equation would look like

Hg(NO3)2 + Na2S --> 2Na(NO3) + HgS

so is that right?

am I going in the right direction?

but how do you find out its physical state?

any help would be wonderful!

here is another

H2S04 + Ca(NO3)2 --> ?
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Feb 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Hg(NO3)2 + 2NaS --> 2Na(NO3) + Hg2S

should be the correct balanced equation, though I did a fast job so it might be wrong. Hg is a transition metal so I'm a bit uncertain of the common valence.

But you are on the right track, predicting a chemical reaction is easy, most usually consist of acid base.
    lefty584 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Thanks!
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Feb 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
    There are general physical properties of many chemicals which allow an educated guess, but often it is easiest to go to a reference source to find out the physical property of products in a reaction.

In this case soluble (aq = aqueous solution) reactants form insoluble (s = solid) products:

Hg(NO3)2 (aq) + Na2S (aq)-->2Na(NO3) (aq) + HgS (s)

H2S04 (aq)+ Ca(NO3)2 (aq)--> CaSO4(s) + H2NO3(aq)
    hot sexy gurl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
    help me to do this work balance molecular equations?

___ Fe + ____ S --> ___ FeS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rewrite equations as balanced chemical equations [ 8 Answers ]

Magnesium chloride yield sulfur dioxide Calcium carbonate yields calcium oxide plus carbon dioxide Nitrogen plus hygrogen yield ammonia Hydrochloric acid plus sodium hydroxide yield sodium chloride plus water

Predicting Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am in desperate need of help on some of these equations! For each of the following questions, classify the reaction type and predict the balanced chemical equation. Provide a word equation as well. #4. A strip of zinc metal is placed into a copper(II) nitrate solution. #5....

Predicting Products of a chemical equation [ 3 Answers ]

Um I'm not sure how to predict the products like for Ag+ClO:)

Predicting Chemical Reactions help [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I really need help predicting these chemical reactions. First of all, how do you know when 2 reactants are going to undergo synthesis? I need help predicting the products of the following reactions and determining which of the five reactions they undergo, double replacement, single replacement,...

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search