Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denisedepottey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Religion hanging pictures on the wall
    I read exodus chapter 20 verse1-5. Are we as people suppose 2 have pic on the wall. What about the last supper pic? It tries 2 show us a image of jesus ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
    I don't worship pictures on my walls, do you?

Photos of Jesus or Photos of last supper ( almost none actually show even closely what Jesus most likely looked like anyway) it was not American or European. Would have been muscles from working, dark complexion from being out of doors. But anyway, you seem so hung up on the OT laws?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
    It is permitted to have religious pictures on the wall.

Most mainstream Christian churches have stained glass windows depicting people and scenes from the two Testaments. This has been done for centuries and was very important during the time when people could not read and depended on the priests and ministers to use the window art to tell the stories in the Bible.

This is my favorite painting:

On the Road to Emmaus

My father's church where he was pastor had a white altar sculpture of Jesus with outstretched arms, as if he was welcoming everyone. The inner-city church where I taught school had a similar sculpture, but Jesus was black. No one prayed to these statues
    denisedepottey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 05:18 AM
    I don't worssip the pic on the wall but read exodus chapter 20 verse 1-4 . I hade 2 take my last supper pic down because of that verse. I just don't know .
    Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
    How old are you ?

What denomination or church is teaching you this ?

You are taking a few bible verse completely out of context way too much.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Taking down your pictures was an incorrect understanding of that Exodus passage.

Which church do you belong to? Are people in your church telling you to take down your religious pictures?
    Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Yes the issue here is that unless you are making a object and worshiping it, you are not going against the verse. Again your idea of a picture on the wall is taking this out of context to what is happening in the bible verse. In the OT the people were making a statue or making image and calling it a god and worshiping it. We see them do it with the golden calf.

If most people have made a "golden calf" or a image it is money, since far too many today worship wealth.

Or it could be a famous singing star who is worshiped.

This is the bad thing people often want to read just a few verses and not the chapters before and after to understand what is being said.
    graceyj20 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Jan 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
    First I'd like to commend you for reading the Hebrew scriptures as well as the Greek ones. While Christians are not bound by the old law covenant (replaced with the new covenant formed with Jesus) it does not mean that we cannot gain many insights into Gods will from these scriptures.

"3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me," -Ex 20:3-5 (ASV)

As you no doubt noted, these scriptures are discussing worship or veneration of objects. If anything is causing you to devote worship or veneration to anything other then God you should certainly abandon it. If however, it is just a picture of the last meal and it does not cause you to worship or venerate anything other then God then you would be in compliance with the direction of this passage.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
    We are NOT living under the law. I am really opposed to pictures of Christ. BUT NOT because I think it is wrong. I just think the artist ( it doesn't matter who he may be) could never do HIM justice. NEVER... thats my opinion. On this topic... there is no rule to follow. It is to each his own.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2012, 09:39 PM
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

Think about it. Wouldn't that prohibit, not just pics of Jesus, but of any kind of animal? No, this is talking about the worship of idols.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

Think about it. Wouldn't that prohibit, not just pics of Jesus, but of any kind of animal? No, this is talking about the worship of idols.

It would taken out of context, it is when it is looked at and read with all of the verse we see what it is talking about.

You can take one verse and take it out of context of the chapter and make the bible say many things.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post

Agreed... we are not to worship idols of ANY kind. It has nothing in the world to do with a painted picture of the Lord Jesus. My parents had a dear friend paint a picture of Jesus and the woman at the well that Jesus ministered to. We barely notice it is on the wall. NO ONE worships or makes it an idol. And the passage in exodus is CLEARLY speaking of making an image to worship. It's a no brainer... leave it to man to take the passage out of context and make it a law from God, another" THOU SHALT NOT" all misunderstood once again. And listen, I was brought up thinking it was wrong. Thank the Lord I am learning to actually READ the bible now without just taking someone's thoughts as the truth.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2012, 06:34 PM
    Just to be clear, I am in agreement with both of you. My point was simple. If you say the text prohibits pictures of Jesus, then it would also prohibit pics of virtually anything. That, of course, would be nonsense.
    stacey hannam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
    My entire apartment was decorated top to bottom with Marilyn Monroe. All I could think about was how to get more Marilyn stuff.
    Marilyn took up every room in the place.
    It was stifling. Someone told me to take the pictures off the wall.
    Now I know what I did was wrong.
    This was idolotry. I was putting her all over my place and
    My kids were looking at her all the time. It was very
    Unhealthy. I tore up all the pictures and threw them out.
    I also got rid of a bunch of books that were not very good
    For me.
    So now I am starting over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State water heaters wall hanging model catalogues [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to get catalogues for wall hanging 50L, 80L and 100L capacities from state water heaters, manufactured in china. Thanks Abdul Jaleel

Hanging a frameless mirror on a tiled wall [ 1 Answers ]

We just redid our bathroom. All of the walls are tiled. How do you hang a frameless wall mirror on a tiled wall? Any help is much appreciated!

Hanging a heavy picture on a wall [ 9 Answers ]

I've recently purchased one of those heavy motion pictures. But have no idea how to put it up. I'm afraid it might fall off. Help! :o

Hanging pictures in a row [ 10 Answers ]

Hi All I would like to know how to hang pictures horizontally. I have tried in the past with tape measure and spirit level but there is always one (or two!) that is slightly out of line. Any tips? If they are not perfect the whole thing looks a complete mess

Hanging rug on concrete wall [ 2 Answers ]

How can I hang a rug on my outside patio concrete wall. It's an outdoor rug and since it's so pretty I decided to hag it on my patio wall instead of lying it on the floor. It's 2'7''x4'11''.

View more questions Search