Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StrongButInLove Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Disrespectful Employee
    Hi everyone,

I am a young manager who currently over sees 9 locations. I hired a new site manager, who is older than myself. Everything was going great, but lately she seems to be very disrespectful. When I ask her to do something, she has a smart remark. Recently she requested overtime, which I was not able to approve. I suggested a method which would allow her to complete the tasks in less time. I also offered to come to the facility and assist her with these tasks to help control labor hours. Her response was shocking:

"Well then I guess you will be doing it, if your worried about hours!! I could possibly have everything ready on friday, but it better not interfear with what i already have to do, that stuff comes first!"

WOW. How do you respond to this? How do I gain respect from people who only see my age?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 09:20 AM

I hardly know what to say. I come from a time where disrespect wasn't tolerated under any circumstances. I will tell you right now, you will never see her respect and I don't honestly know how to correct this attitude unless you let her go and hire someone more suitable.

Tick
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 01:40 PM

Follow all the rules but fire her as quickly as possible. This will spread to other employees quicker than the swine flu.

May 1, 2009, 04:34 PM

I understand that this person did make a disrespectful comment, however, I feel you two are a little quick at jumping on the " fire" train. I did speak with her today and discussed her comment. I explained that I was not asking her to do anything outside her responsibilities and do not expect a response like that in the future. I guess we will see.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 1, 2009, 04:46 PM

Well you should make record of this incident and you had a talk w/ her.
    In the future record all incidents and start a paper trail and in time you will have enough to start the exit program if and when you need to do so.
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

May 1, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Ok, first of all, in your opinion, is she an asset to your business? If so, you need to get her butt into your office and be very firm with her about her attitude. If she doesn't see the point there, release her on the spot. I've been in the management field long enough to know what to do. Now, sometimes business is business, Separate yourself from this personally, if she is productive and you don't give her the chance to turn over a new leaf, you mine as well be biting off your nose to spite your face so to say. Managing people does not mean to get rid of them as soon as they show signs of disrespect, it means you manage them, sometimes like you would a child. I know, but it goes with the job title. On the other hand, if her performance does not meet to standards, release her now. Keep me posted.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongButInLove View Post
    I understand that this person did make a disrespectful comment, however, I feel you two are a little quick at jumping on the " fire" train. I did speak with her today and discussed her comment. I explained that I was not asking her to do anything outside her responsibilities and do not expect a response like that in the future. I guess we will see.
    You did post a problem with an employee and outlined it quite well, it was completely understandable, and you did get feedback,however, I don't think I jumped on the 'fire train' or anyone else for that matter. We had reactions to your query and gave our opinions.

Krazi has good advice, document everything this employee does, or says, not necessarily so you have a case against her but to make others understand somewhere down the line that you did have a problem with her insubordination.

Tick

May 1, 2009, 05:11 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/manage...ee-302503.html

#1 Report Inappropriate Post Jan 12, 2009, 09:03 AM
    StrongButInLove

Disrespectful Employee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone. I recently (about 5 months ago) got a position as an Area Manger for a company. In this position I manager 9 locations that are spread over 200 miles. I feel I do a very good job in this position. Many people higher up have told me how impressed they are with my performance. This job does not offer much training. Im just out there on my own trying to learn things as I go. But, some of my employees are disrespectful at times. They make snide remarks. For instance, this morning I called concerning urgent news that affected my locations. During the discussion, I asked "so are you closed today due to the weather?" Her remark was, "Well dont you watch the news?" At that moment I wanted to just say, "actually yes, but why dont you asnwer the ing question." Of course I handeled myself professionally. This is only 1 of several times that she has made snid remarks to me.

I know I'm new at my position. I certainly do not know everything. I always praise my emplyees and include them in decisions since I feel they know there locations better than I do. Could this be the reason they seem to feel it's OK to be rude. What can I do when snide remarks like that are made? PLEASE HELP!

I just found a past post from you and it seems you have a serious case of insubordination amung the ranks of your employees. I believe its time to have a "tailgate". This is where you take 15 minutes of time to meet w/ all employees in each location [ as a group ] and let them know that you have a concern with insubordination and total lack of respect. Tell them if it presist that such actions will be taken and that they need to decide if its worth losing a steady check. Tell them that is all and walk out.

May 1, 2009, 05:24 PM

Comments on this post
    Sabrewolfe agrees: He mentions he is young and new at his profession, perhaps he is not ready to handle it.
    Young and new doesn't deserve disrespect and insubordination, but in fact they [the employees] can offer their opinion or advice that reflected from past management or from their own experience... but to do so in private and in turn as manager he needs to be open minded to such positive advice.

Excellent source of how to deal with bullies/disrespectful employees
    How to identify one...
    When to confront... [sooner,not later]
    What type of force action to be used...
    Create your own policy for a civilized workplace...
    Screening for bullies during recruitment...
    http://www.bnet.com/2403-13059_23-242687.html
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 1, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Well, there are a number of people here who have provided you with different ideas. I think there is value in all of them. Since none of us really see your total situation, you need to assess what fits and what doesn't. I have a few thoughts for you.
    First - it ain't age. Since you feel that it is, that may be affecting how you are treating your employees. I have managed many people decades older than I (not anymore since the world is running out of people decades older than I). How you approach them will make or break you.
    Second - No matter what HR and some of those other experts tell you, a manager should not and does not punch a timeclock. His (or her) "specific tasks" should be to manage his organization to get optimal results from the company. Detailed job descriptions, particularly when used to admonish a supervisory employee, do far more harm than good. (But, you work through that to live with your HR people, depending on the strength that they have in your company).
    Third - You say people up the chain are impressed with you. That's good - you've learned how to kiss (terrible, but we all had to do it). But, that's not the same skills required to manage your people and get them to want to produce for you.
    Fourth - Slavery has been outlawed! And people know it. There are plenty of bad managers out there who treat employees as if they are slaves. This works for awhile; the employees won't be happy, but you can make them do their jobs to a degree, particularly in this environment with a disastrous economy. They'll undermine you any chance that they get.
    Fifth - Assuming that you are male and are having trouble with a female, there are a lot of issues there. While some of those things can get really messy, take some heart in that it is in general tougher for females to manage other females than it is for males to manage females.
    My best guess is that you are a bit dictatorial and piss people off and you get riled easy. If an employee is "disrespectful" to you, analyze what that means. Most of the time you can just laugh it off and everyone will forget that it happened except to think of what a cool guy you are. If it is truly a major personal attack and you made a hiring mistake - or are stuck with one that your predessor made, deal with it and get rid of the problem. But, I don't think this is the situation you are in. You need help in understanding how to motivate people.
    I hope this helps and good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 08:19 PM

If someone basically tells you that if you want it done you have to do it, I would merely tell them that you will most likely with a new manager if they can't do their job in the proper time frame.
    Then I would be at their location in the morning to be sure they were doing their job right

May 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreciate the you have commented on my situation. This is my first management job, so yes I am green . I do admit I do need training on how to motivate. Currently I oversee 25 women and am a woman myself. You are correct in saying it is harder to manage women... You have to be delicate on the way you put things and deal with emotions as well. Most employees are doing a great job and are receptive to my management style. This is a special situation that I will work through. I have documented this incident (very important). As for my past situation, that employee is no longer with us. I did terminate her because her actions did not improve. If the time comes, I will terminate this employee as well. Thanks again everyone.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Every person in a position deserves due respect from subordinates. However, respect is gained by also showing respect to them as co-workers.

Managerial position is somewhat a critical position which requires lots of patience, but tough enough to handle such encounters. Make her feel that you were not happy with her response, in a nice approach possible, and make sure that she watches her words next time as she would not like it herself if someone under her would do the same thing.

This is important, after talking to her, never disengage with ill feelings, put a smile on your face and a pat on her shoulder. That way, you are gaining respect and authority.
    cmajb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 08:53 AM
    How do you handle an employee who is so disrespectful and your boss won't do anything about it. There are only the three of us in the office. My boss laid off a person right before Christmas who had been there two years; there was not enough work for her. I have been with him 31 years and this lady has only been there 5 years. She will come in your office and yell at you and ten minutes later tell you she is sorry and that she loves you. She will tell you how stupid you are. If you mark yourself out of the office and she decides she wants off she will just write above your name that she is taking off and Oh well. My boss knows she is doing these things. If you talk to him about it he will tell you to just be cordial. He will tell you that he will talk to her but he does nothing. He thinks if we all just stay in our own office and in passing be cordial that things will be fine. I used to love my job but now I hate it. I make good money so it is hard for me to just walk out and start all over and besides I have put my life into this job and I don't feel like I should have to look of another job. Does anyone have any good advice on how to handle this bad situation. Oh and by the way, my boss is an attorney so I can't do anything legally or I would never get another job in this area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Employee [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Everyone. I recently (about 5 months ago) got a position as an Area Manger for a company. In this position I manager 9 locations that are spread over 200 miles. I feel I do a very good job in this position. Many people higher up have told me how impressed they are with my performance. This job...

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

18 yr old disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Please for those of you who have young adult children I need some advice. This is a long complicated story but the short version is this... My daughter at 16 had to deal with the death of her biological father. She met a boy (criminal) completely disrespected me and her step father, lived on...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

View more questions Search