Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dshomesinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Elevator circuit sizing
    I have 30 hp 3 phase 120/208 motor that is for an elevator. I have 200 3 phase disconnect with 150 amp fuses in it. That is the size the elevator co. is specing.What size feeder circuit is needed and what size breaker is need for the power panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I am assuming you are an electrician, so I will speak in our lingo.

You should refer to Article 620 of the NEC just to be sure your not missing anything.

Art 620 will refer you to Art 430.

To begin with need to refer to Table 430.250 of the NEC.

A 30 HP 3 Ph 208 volt motor will draw 88 amps.

Feeder wire size is to be rated at least 125% of this value, or 110 amps, and this can be #2 copper, rated at 115 amps in the 75 Deg C column of Table 310.16.

If you can determine the duty cycle of this motor, you may use smaller wire. I don't think the savings would be that great to make it worth researching this, so forget this.

The short circuit device also uses the value from Table 430.250. A Time delay fuse can be 175% of 88 amps, thus the 150 amp fuses. An inverse time circuit breaker can be the max of 250% of 88 Amps =220 amps, a standard size 200 amp breaker can be used, and should be sufficient to start the motor.
    noely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 06:13 AM
    What is kind of contactor that use elevator control
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2012, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by noely View Post
    what is kind of contactor that use elevator control
    Your question makes no sense, please re-state and explain why your asking the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elevator Fear [ 9 Answers ]

>.< I HATE HATE HATE HATE elevators. So much. And today made it even worse. I went to the hospital ot visit my grandma, so I tell my mom "I dont want to take the elevator, lets take the stairs" she says no and we go in the elevator, there's people in it and whatever. So it's a 2 door...

Elevator [ 2 Answers ]

What is the force (in Newtons) used if an elevator lifts passengers 30 meters in 24 seconds and the elevator is 15,000 watts?

Wire sizing and conduit sizing [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking for confirmation on some of the info I have found and answers to a few missing pieces. This is regarding wire size and conduit size for service conductors from the meter to the breaker panel (about 30 ft away). Wire Size: 125A service needs #2 copper or 1/0 aluminum -- #6 copper...

How can I get over my elevator feer? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Well Thursday I have an appointment with my dentist but in order to see him I need to take a elevator ( DUN DUN DUN) I have a sick fear of elevators and I have been panicking for a week... I feel that its just going to get stuck and no one will come to help. I don't want be trapped...

Elevator Power. [ 7 Answers ]

A 550 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 5.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s. (a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period? W (b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its...

View more questions Search