Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hesterj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 01:36 PM
    PA Liability - who is legally responsible in the event of a malpractice event?
    If a PA is assigned to a patient who suffers harm due to misdiagnosos and/or improper treatment under the PA's care, who is legally responsible for the harm done?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Is a malpractice suit already pending? Please give more information.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Can depend on state law if in the US, or national law in other countries.
    PA and the practice can be sued, they would have malpractice insurance anyway. Also to get to the point of a suit, all of the notes and all of the records would have been reviewed, to see if there was anyone else who aided in this. Did someone read x-rays, did someone do lab work and so on.

Next of course you have to prove actual fault, was their error done by not following some normal practice.

Many times all doctors are not right at first and do follow up, so actual fault has to be established, not merely a wrong treatment, if that treatment is supported by the symptions
    hesterj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 02:22 PM
    The patient was being observed in the hospital following abdominal surgery (polyp removal via bisection) and developed a rapid heartbeat, shallow breating, disorientation, etc. The surgeon requested a consult from the hospitalists to determine cause. The hospitalists assigned a PA to perform the consult since it was after hours and all hospitalists had left the hospital. The PA was to consult with them via phone if he thought he needed help. During the evaluation, the patient went into septic shock. The patient was referred by the PA to Intensive Care approximately 5 hours after the consult was begun and the ICU physician determined that additional surgery was necessary. The PA said that he recognized that the patient was in critical condition while he was treating them, but he did delay referring them to Intensive Care until the testing was complete. It turned out that the cause of sepsis was a leakeage in the small intestine induced during the original surgery. At some point during this process (diagnosis and surgery) the patient suffered an anoxic brain injury. The PA did not consult with the hospitalist or the surgeon until his normal briefing the next morning, which was about 10 hours after the consult was originally requested.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2012, 02:35 PM
    It sounds totally by what you've said that the PA was careless and negligent. However, medical malpratice is very difficult to prove because you need expert witnesses (who charge a small fortune) who are willing to testify AGAINST a fellow medical professional. In this case the treating Physician, surgeon, PA, anyone else involved would need to be mentioned in a lawsuit.

Then the next problem is what caused the additional medical issues - the time delay, a bad result from the initial surgery, something else?

IF the patient would have been taken to ICU IMMEDIATELY would it have changed the course of things?

Was the failure to discuss the patient's condition until the following morning somehow detrimental to the patient's health OR was this normal practice?

I would consult with an Attorney who specializes in medical malpractice - it's a fairly narrow field but you need an expert in the field to review the records.

As I said - this is an expensive lawsuit because of the cost of obtaining medical records outside a Subpoena AND the cost of expert medical testimony.

I am personally aware that the hospital/Physicians are going to argue that the brain damage was caused by the infection, not by the lack of oxygen. Been there, heard that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for a name for an event business .I will have corporate and social event [ 2 Answers ]

Please offer suggestions for a business name for an event business.

The non event of the week [ 7 Answers ]

The little red fox is in Washington wowing the yanks this week, but seriously this is the non event of the week http://www.news.com.au/national/prime-minister-julia-gillard-arrives-in-washington/story-e6frfkw9-1226016674576you can watch on cspan, I'll find something else to watch

Event ID 41 and 42 [ 6 Answers ]

I keep seeing the following two errors in Event Viewer: Event Type: Warning Event Sources: WinMgmt Event Category: None Event ID 41 Description: WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 4178 for Performance Library ASP.NET because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Am I responsible for federal or private student loans in the event of divorce or deat [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: My fiance and I want to get married but he has federal & personal student loans amounting to over $250,000. He wants to get life insurance before we get married just in case anything ever happened to him, the loans would be paid off...however, someone was telling me that in the state of...

View more questions Search