Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardinal123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
    My sibs and I jointly own property in Ontario. Can either one of them...
    ... put a security lien on the property without my knowledge?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Hello c:

Do you mean can they obtain a mortgage or otherwise borrow against the property WITHOUT your approval??

The answer is NO.

IF that happened, your sibling is defrauding you. You can call the cops AND you can sue them. I don't know if I'd call the cops on my brother or sister... But, I'd sure as hell sue 'em.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Define security lien? A sibling MIGHT be able to borrow against their share of the property without involving the other owners. More details will help us help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jointly owned property [ 2 Answers ]

I have a jointly owned property with an ex girlfriend. She does not live in the house, I do. I plan on moving out in April and having my parents move in and live here for free. Can my ex do anything to forcibly kick them out if she wants to.

Jointly owned property [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a house and put my then girlfriend's name on it as well (first mistake). We thought we were going to get married but that obviously did not happen. I bought the house for $30,000 and put in another $15-20 thousand of my own money. She did not put any money towards the house. Her brother...

Dividing jointly inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

Some property was left jointly to myself and my sibling by a parent a year ago. The property has some timber on part of it which affects the value of the portion my sibling wants. We are in the process of dividing now without much success. A few months after inheriting, there was an appraisal done...

Married filing jointly in Community property vs non-community property state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question is troubling me for a while and I would appreciate if someone can explain how I should do my state tax returns. Last year. I moved from IN to CA. My wife worked in IN the whole year and received income from only IN. All my income just came from CA. I am planning to file...

Jointly owned property [ 3 Answers ]

My brother in law and mother lived together for approx 9 yrs. She bought the house and it was in her name and she had a mortgage on it. She passed away and in the will the property was to be divided equally among the three sons. Before the estate was settled it was agreed upon that the brother...

View more questions Search