Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Replacing Shower Drain
    Hello,

I am replacing my shower floor and walls with new tile. The home was built in 1977 and the concrete sub floor is in good shape and can be worked with. I will be laying in a new pan membrane, wonder board, and mortar bed accordingly. My concern is the floor drain. I am not sure what it is but am assuming that I will need to replace it with a 2 part PVC drain to accommodate my new floor. I am not sure what I have, PVC or iron, but the drain has the usual strainer screwed in to what looks like a molded brass flange, very smooth and going down in to the drain pipe, no seams or screws. There is a stainless type of O ring looking thing on top of the drain and underneath the strainer that is close and tight under the existing grout line by the drain. What do I do to replace it and how do I get it out? Do I have to chip out the concrete around it to get it out? How will I create a leak free union to what may be iron with new PVC in a close quarter’s embedded type of environment?

Any words of wisdom appreciated. Thank you.

Brian
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 09:01 PM
    If it is a typical mud set shower drain with an intact clamping ring, you can remove the clamping ring (there are usually three bolts holding the clamping ring to the drain body), clean up the old membrane material and re-use it.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Yea, what growler said.
    btc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys, but this may not be what I have. It is mud set etc. but after pulling the stainless ring out this morning (I had to chip tile out around it and it just lifted out), I think I have an iron drain flange going in to PVC. There is no way to get the iron flange out to expose any clamping ring. It appears to be screwed or glued in to the drain. There are no screws exposed of any type. I am thinking that I may have to cut in to the flange with a sawsall in two spots and then pinch it out. I will try to post a picture later.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks again. Any help greatly appreciated.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 09:57 AM
    If it is cast iron on pvc it is probably a slip on with the rubber gasket. Just get the pvc tile drain and maybe a coupling and just glue the new one in and cement the floor to secure it. Make sure the flange is level or 1/4" below the floor before you mud the original floor back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a shower. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I'm replacing a shower that was a one-piece moulded unit. It leaked, so I bought a replacement unit to install. All is fine, except when I go to connect the drain. The trap and drain is 1 1/2" pipe and there is a nut at the top of the pipe. The drain that I have is for a 2" pipe and is...

Replacing Tub Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading the fixtures in my bathroom. I will need to replace the tub drain and overflow plate to match the finish on the new fixtures. The specification sheet for the new tub drain says that it has threads which are: 1 1/2"-11 1/2NPSM. Is this a standard size tub...

Replacing Tub drain into cast iron. [ 1 Answers ]

My tub drain is downstream from both the toilet and the roof vent and every time the toilet flushes the tub trap is emptied and I get sewer smells... Photo @ www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dlpotter/Plumbing/ I think I need to add an anti-siphon device between the trap and the cast iron....

Replacing drain in a tile shower [ 4 Answers ]

My 50 year old tile shower drain has a lead pipe leading to the waste stack. The lead pipe has corroded at the base of the drain and is leaking. I chipped away the tile around the drain and see that there is a 2.5 inch diameter hole going through the shower mortar base leading into the lead...

Replacing a bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a bathtub drain ( or stopper). The old shoe strainer rusted and I can not unscrew it to remove it. What else can I do?

View more questions Search