Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Shifter lever for automatic transmission sloppy
    Any way to confirm problem before beginning to repair problem?

I have a shifter lever that is kind of sloppy in the steering column. I can't tell for sure what the problem is and I don't want to start in the wrong direction before I confirm what the problem is. My hypothesis is it's the cable needing to be adjusted on the trans shifter, the cable has too much play, or the shifter spring and lever are just wore out or maybe a screw loose on the mount to the steering column.

It shifts fine and the position for the P R N D 3 L is correct in regards to the shifter lever location and the dash light for each transmission position is correct.

The shifter is moving back and forth to easily and it seem loose when it is in the proper transmission position.

I think it is the shifter but I wanted to confirm before I do anything to fix it. My first guess was to reset the trans shifter cable which is not difficult but I didn't want to do that if its not the problem. Then if that didn't work I was going to replace the shifter. The cable seems like it may have a bit of looseness but because the problem seems more in the spring on the shifter when you pull it to move to the next position also when in neutral and drive you can slide it back and forth fine for each gear but the handle just seems sloppy that's why I'm leaning toward replacing the handle but I have no way to rule out the cable or position of shifter on the trans. My gut tells me it's the shifter can anyone confirm or give proper procedure for solution to problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
    You may be right,
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...le-303903.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Accord 1993 automatic shifter sticks [ 1 Answers ]

My 93 Accord with an automatic transmission has trouble shifting out of and into Park. It does it, but not without applying a fair amount of force. It is getting worse. It feels like there is something that needs to be tightened up or a linkage that is sticking. Any suggestions?

92 honda civic automatic shifter moves while driving [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,would any one know if there was a factory recall on automatic shifter that can be bumped forward into "N" and even "R" while driving.When reaching forward for coffee holder,ash tray, etc. jacket sleeve can even change position.I thought to move one must push in thumb button? If this is...

Automatic gear-lever [ 4 Answers ]

I cannot move the gear lever stick from the 'P' position when I swithchon and when I press the foot-break. Normaly there is a 'click' sound when I press the foot-break to move the gear-stick by pressing the thumb button on the stick. It is rigid and doesnot move The car stazrsts all right, but...

View more questions Search