Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gardentiki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Pea gravel as ground cover
    Have a planting bed, roughly 150 square feet. Once I replant it, want to use pea gravel as a ground cover, perhaps 2-3" in depth. How much will I need to do this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
    You already got an answer from the same post a while back

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...th-230442.html

But I wouldn't use pea gravel in a planting bed. What are you planting ?
    gardentiki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
    Going to transform the bed into a "desert" like vibe, succulents, desert grasses, being that I live in LA, trying to be water conscious. Open to suggestions for a ground cover. Considered mulch of course, but having to re-do it every year or two isn't appealing. Want something more permanent. I have seen other landscapes in my area that are covered with small pebble type ground cover. So perhaps I am using the wrong term, pea gravel, when I really am thinking about something else?

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Yes, I see your point and have already investigated options, but yes, pea gravel will do nicely with the other plants coming up through it; the ornamental grasses, different cactii will do nicely. The pea gravel will hold in the moisture quite nicely. Stay tuned, I may find something else for you to add for ground cover that would be inexpensive, along with the pea gravel.

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2011, 08:21 PM
    The only problem with the pea gravel is that whenever you replant something or plant a new plant you need to be super careful with the existing gravel as you will get too much soil intermixed with the existing gravel. I had something like this down in South Florida where I had a cactus garden with 40 different plants including some pretty large barrel cactus plants. Good if you don't plan on moving anything around. Looks nice and is good drainage for the cactus also. Also, when it rains in Phoenix is when I would water my garden during the dry spells in Florida in the winter that is. Be sure your area gets direct sun all day long as well. Your plants should thrive and do well in this environment. Sea Oats are a nice touch and so is Pampas Grass for a dramatic background.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does 48 squares of pea gravel weigh? [ 0 Answers ]

Home much does 48 roofing squares of pea gravel weigh?

How do I figure how much pea gravel is needed for 8 [ 2 Answers ]

How do I figure out how much pea gravel is needed to fill 8" x 60" grade retainer bands that will make a 10' circle for a 10' diameter x 15' high, 210 barrel welded tank to sit on top?

How many cubic feet will 25 tons of pea gravel cover at 6 [ 5 Answers ]

I have a playground that needs 29x25 of pea gravel. I can get 25 tons of pea gravel in one trip and want to know how many cubic feet it will cover at 6" deep?

How many tons of pea gravel... [ 6 Answers ]

do you need to fill a 30x35 area to a depth of 7 inches? And 9 inches? Or how would I figure it out?

Price for moving pea gravel [ 1 Answers ]

How much should I charge for moving 6 tons of pea gravel from a drive way to a back yard by shovel and wheel barrel?

View more questions Search